Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this guy

Your Razor

I want a shorter shave! I have been using Gillette Platinums with a Merkur 34 c as well. I am contemplating a Feather Straight. Who knows. I used feathers first about three years ago. No idea how to create a good lather...I have scars from that! We are talking purple blood! A good one. I learned real fast what to do and not do. I still struggle on the neck and jaw line with the Merkur though. I have big hands and struggle with the right angle there.

I am still learning for sure. I want to give them a fair shot, but the Derby blades are nicking me like the Merkur ones did not. Also, not as close. Funny, but most of the reviews would suggest the opposite would happen. Maybe the blade's effectiveness is different depending on your face?

I am still learning for sure. I want to give them a fair shot, but the Derby blades are nicking me like the Merkur ones did not. Also, not as close. Funny, but most of the reviews would suggest the opposite would happen. Maybe the blade's effectiveness is different depending on your face?

I found derby's to be sharper than merkurs and nicked my self when I first started using them. How many times have you used a derby?

I found derby's to be sharper than merkurs and nicked my self when I first started using them. How many times have you used a derby?

Twice. Not as close and more nicks both times. May try the Merkurs tomorrow just to see.

Tryed proraso for the first time. Great lather and cushion. I like the tingling feeling as well. Gonna give red personnas and maybe mekurs another try.

Also for anyone who likes derby..........breaks down to about 8 cents a blade

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013RZ2ZM?tag=eclecticparad-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0013RZ2ZM&adid=0QF7RWHB5E2FW2SD8QYA

stuffs expensive. Maybe I'll run across a sample somwhere

It is but it lasts forever! All You have to do is work the cream onto the wet brush and then brush up the best lather ever on your face. It lasts more like a soap. I have had the sam tub for over a year.

I figured it would be ice to revive this thread after the head shave post today. I have been using the Merkur razor with red Personna blades (bought a 100 pack because they work well for me) with the King of Shaves green gel. It works okay, but need to get back into a better wet shave type cream or soap. Proraso also was great, but hard to find locally anymore. Anyone have a current favorite to share? I would prefer to use something quicker to get a lather with. Thanks!

For you guys using double-edged ("safety") razors, how long does it take you to shave? I was intrigued after reading here about you guys using them since I haven't been happy with my current razor. So, I went into a store, and the guy said it requires very short strokes and takes about 25 minutes for a shave, maybe 20. What?! It's not like I'm sportin' a playoff beard, here, dude! If I spend 5 minutes shaving on a normal day, that's a long time.

I don't take too long, five minutes would be a long time for me. Realize though that I haven't been using a traditional shaving creme for the traditional wet shave either. Small light strokes don't take too long.

For you guys using double-edged ("safety") razors, how long does it take you to shave? I was intrigued after reading here about you guys using them since I haven't been happy with my current razor. So, I went into a store, and the guy said it requires very short strokes and takes about 25 minutes for a shave, maybe 20. What?! It's not like I'm sportin' a playoff beard, here, dude! If I spend 5 minutes shaving on a normal day, that's a long time.

It's a long process buts its worth it. So much closer and less irritation

There is no reason to use 5 blades, unless you're not prepping your face correctly. And by not prepping properly, I mean "using anything that comes in a can".

I use a Merkur safety razor, Feather blades, a silver-tip badger hair shaving brush, and various creams (with Proraso being the staple of my kit). Apply a bit of pre-shave lotion to the beard after a shower to lubricate a bit and make the hair stand up, lather up the cream in a shaving bowl with the brush, apply to face, and shave. Rinse in cold water to close the pores, apply after-shave lotion to soothe, and then once ive brushed my teeth, etc, apply after-shave moisturizer.

I figured it would be ice to revive this thread after the head shave post today. I have been using the Merkur razor with red Personna blades (bought a 100 pack because they work well for me) with the King of Shaves green gel. It works okay, but need to get back into a better wet shave type cream or soap. Proraso also was great, but hard to find locally anymore. Anyone have a current favorite to share? I would prefer to use something quicker to get a lather with. Thanks!

Proraso can be had on westcoastshaving.com

I want a shorter shave! I have been using Gillette Platinums with a Merkur 34 c as well. I am contemplating a Feather Straight. Who knows. I used feathers first about three years ago. No idea how to create a good lather...I have scars from that! We are talking purple blood! A good one. I learned real fast what to do and not do. I still struggle on the neck and jaw line with the Merkur though. I have big hands and struggle with the right angle there.

When it comes to lather, get a porcelain bowl and let it soak with your brush in warm water while you shower. It will retain the heat. Make sure your brush is good or else your lather will be crap. I just got this bowl, makes some great lather: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Hand-Thrown-Lather-Bowl-Nutmeg-Brown_p_527.html

I get it from West Coast Shaving.

I also use soap; as far as oil is concerned, just use olive oil before you apply soap and shave, and then after.

I prefer cream.. I can't get a good lather with soap with our hard water. Also, proraso makes a pre-shave cream that works wonders. Highly recommend.

I'm a fan of soap as well. I find that cream lathers too much and tends to gunk up the razor.

How long should a good brush last? I think I'm due for a new one.

Some solid tips on here. I heard the shaving cream that bath and body works sells is rebranded proraso. If it was posted on here before sorry.

I've been using the same shaving razor and just replacing the heads since 2007, it's the only one that has never given me huge problems with my sensitive skin and gives me less ingrown hairs.

Gillette Mach 3 Turbo

For the cream i use the Van Der hagen Premium shave set, best 12 bucks ever spent, comes with the bowl, soap and brush, and its amazing. For those with dry or super sensitive skin i highly highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B001A3HPT0

For the cream i use the Van Der hagen Premium shave set, best 12 bucks ever spent, comes with the bowl, soap and brush, and its amazing. For those with dry or super sensitive skin i highly highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B001A3HPT0

i got the same set, haven't tried the soap yet. been using this: http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shaving-Cream-Eucalyptus-Menthol/dp/B000RI8BZQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1332722748&sr=1-1 which is pretty awesome.