Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this guy

Your Razor

You're in the right path. But the multiple-blade razor isn't helping your cause here.

yeah i think i'm going to buy a single edge safety razor shaver thing, god i hope that works out

I love this thread! It's making me rethink how I shave. I'd be all over one of these old style razors if I could see myself using it on my head too!

Here's my most recent, finished it today since it was raining all day. Made of brazilian cherry. Honed up and ready to use in the morning! Sorry for the cell phone pick and messy workbench.

new.jpg

You make them?

I love this thread! It's making me rethink how I shave. I'd be all over one of these old style razors if I could see myself using it on my head too!

I tried a couple of times. It's hard.

I do not make the blade...I take blades with cracked or broken scales and make my own. Hopefully sometime I'll get a grinder because I would like to make one completely from scratch. They are quite the weekend hobby.

A few years back I hit up The Art of Shaving store. A guy was in the chair waiting his face and head shaved with a straight razor. I asked if I could get in to have the head/face shave but there were no openings. The guy in the chair told me to forget about making an appointment because once I have a straight razor shave I will be ruined and no other type of shave will be so close and comfortable.

We're aheading to Disneyland in a couple weeks and I'm already arguing for a side trip to The Art of Shaving. But this time I'm making an appointment before we leave!

Well I've been using a oil, cream, brush, and shaving lotion for about a year now. . . all while using a mach 3. . . . after reading this thread I decided to bite the bullet and get a DE safety razor. . . just had my first shave. . . . definitly need some practice, but I'm happy I'm going to be shaving this way.

I got my razor (merkur) for the local art of shaving store. I have their products too but when I run out I'll probably go elseware to tryy something else (since they are pretty expensive).

I got a 5 pack of gillette platinum blades (and one merkur blade with the razor) I think I'll order a variety pack from westcoastshaving when I run out.

A few years back I hit up The Art of Shaving store. A guy was in the chair waiting his face and head shaved with a straight razor. I asked if I could get in to have the head/face shave but there were no openings. The guy in the chair told me to forget about making an appointment because once I have a straight razor shave I will be ruined and no other type of shave will be so close and comfortable.

We're aheading to Disneyland in a couple weeks and I'm already arguing for a side trip to The Art of Shaving. But this time I'm making an appointment before we leave!

I was in Orlando over the Xmas holidays. There's a big mall (I forget the name) with an Art of Shaving store. I popped in to have a look (very nice!) and one of the sales associates offered to give me a shave. Unfortunately I did not have time, but I was surprised that he was just going to sit me down and give a full demonstration of their products.

LOL you could've visited!

(I'm assuming Florida Mall or Millenia.)

A friend of mine told me about an old-school barbershop in the area; will most likely be much cheaper than TAOS.

LOL you could've visited!

(I'm assuming Florida Mall or Millenia.)

A friend of mine told me about an old-school barbershop in the area; will most likely be much cheaper than TAOS.

I thought of that, but only had a few days before leaving for Fort Myers Beach. Plus, I was there with my wife and kids for the parks. It was the Millenia Mall.

I thought of that, but only had a few days before leaving for Fort Myers Beach. Plus, I was there with my wife and kids for the parks. It was the Millenia Mall.

No worries, just messing with ya!

No worries, just messing with ya!

Next time!

I have the Panasonic wet/dry electric with the 4 blades and cleaning system. I like it a lot.

if any of you guys had to settle for an electric razor for your face - what would you recommend? are there any brands to steer clear of?

I have used Norelco, Braun, and Panasonic electric razors in that order and experienced improvements in the same sequence. The Norelco is just a hassle to clean. You can really tell that the closeness of a shave is worsened if the cutters are full of hair residue. The Panasonic ES-LA 63 is a great razor that can be cleaned with regular soap and water instead of using expensive cleaning cartrages like Braun makes you buy. The Panasonic I have listed is the only one that allows the easy and cheap cleanup. You can read several reviews on different electric razors if you you are interested. That is how I found this gem of an electric razor.

if any of you guys had to settle for an electric razor for your face - what would you recommend? are there any brands to steer clear of?

After trying everything, I went to an electric. Fine if you need something quick, I suppose. Not a great shave though. Then I discovered traditional wet shaving. Won't ever look back.

I tried a straight razor once - I couldnt even get one stroke in before my brain said NOPE NOPE NOPE. Now that I've tried a safety razor and know the feeling and angle needed with a single blade, I'm considering giving it another shot.

im wondering if the same principal applies to electric as to a razor?

if you have sensitive or curly hair the less number of blades the better?

Not for me. The four blades seems to make the razor smoother and it covers more area with one stroke. I use proraso pre-shave in the shower and then use a gel soap as a lubricant. It's never perfect, but the closest electric shave with the least irritation I've had. I have the ES8249.

im wondering if the same principal applies to electric as to a razor?

if you have sensitive or curly hair the less number of blades the better?

Generally it will ALWAYS be the less blades the better. Like I said earlier, the marketing for these multi-bladed razors has it all right. Yes, more blades = less passes. But that's only necessary if you're not prepping correctly. If you don't prep correctly, you need as few passes as you can get to avoid irritation.

The makers of things like Mach5 know that many many people use the garbage they call shaving cream these days, and they tailor their product for those people. I agree 100% that more blades (and tbh even the vibrating razor) was better, back when I was using crap from a can. But if you prep properly, use a good pre-shave lotion/cream, and a nice shave cream applied with a brush, the multi-bladed razor has no positive effect (and could very well be a negative one since you're pulling multiple blades across your face without sufficient lubrication).

There's a reason barbers don't use Mach5 razors on your face...

Edit: Sorry, missed that you're talking about electric specifically.

i have a Norelco that i got for 39 by making friends with someone at best buy, or else i would have paid 90 bucks at the time, i like it but not all the time, doesnt ever feel like a good shave for some reason