Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this guy

Your Razor

Laugh if you will...but I joined the Dollar Shave Club. I got the razors last night...shaved this morning. Great shave. The name is a little miss leading. The middle package 4x4 blade cartridges/month + shipping = just over $7 Cdn.

But still. Better than any shave I've had with a Mach 3 (or similar razor).

I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing you've done; are you still going strong with them or have you went back?

Haha I tried that, wasn't really a fan at all. I found shaving took a lot longer using a safety razor and they were very tough to find disposable blades and such

It definitely does take longer (especially if you do it correctly with a brush and hot lather), but the shave is better. It almost becomes a ritual that you enjoy. Shaving feels GOOD once you get into the routine with a hot towel and such.

bigdmac: Still using them...but the thing is, I'm a lazy shaver...only a couple times a week...so I've got a massive stockpile of blades now. I think I have 2 full 4 packs unopened.

It definitely does take longer (especially if you do it correctly with a brush and hot lather), but the shave is better. It almost becomes a ritual that you enjoy. Shaving feels GOOD once you get into the routine with a hot towel and such.

I agree it is a very good shave, I'm just stuck where I have to shave in the morning because if I do it the night before I wake up with stubble. Bathroom time is very scarce with a wife and teenage daughter, so I'm forced to do just a quick shave when I can buy 30 seconds!

bigdmac: Still using them...but the thing is, I'm a lazy shaver...only a couple times a week...so I've got a massive stockpile of blades now. I think I have 2 full 4 packs unopened.

Perfect, I think I might go with it then! I hardly ever change my blades so I'm excited to actually have a fresh one every week or so. There is also a bi-monthly option I've been told, so maybe you could look at that to save some money?

Thanks for the tip...I just changed it to every other month. Since a new package arrived yesterday...I now have 12 unopened blades.

Found the key to a close, smooth shave the other day. Noxzema. Forums are great. I've never had a better shave than I had today.

Really? Huh. Using a DE razor?

Really? Huh. Using a DE razor?

Yeah, it was a very interesting suggestion. I do not use a DE yet (need to save up for a Merkur). Using a Gillette Sensor cartridge razor. Put the Noxzema on as a pre-shave, then cover with your preferred shaving cream. I then do 3 series of passes. WTG, XTG, ATG. Between each, splash the face with water and then reapply the Noxzema and shaving cream.

Yeah, it was a very interesting suggestion. I do not use a DE yet (need to save up for a Merkur). Using a Gillette Sensor cartridge razor. Put the Noxzema on as a pre-shave, then cover with your preferred shaving cream. I then do 3 series of passes. WTG, XTG, ATG. Between each, splash the face with water and then reapply the Noxzema and shaving cream.

So what is the noxzema doing? I've never used it before. Does it make your skin tingly?

It's a facial cleanser. Menthol and Eucalyptus. Makes your shaving strokes extremely smooth and quick. It tingles a little bit, but nothing bothersome (from the menthol)

If you like the Dollar Shave Club razors, also check out Dorco.com. Same supplier and you don't have to have the "subscription".

A tiny bit cheaper (really not much) than DSC, but you don't get all the cool pamphlets. :lol:

They also offer 3-bladed razors (DSC is only 2, 4, or 6) as well as womens' versions for your SO's.

They have multi-razor package deals around holidays as well...current sale for Father's Day.

I tried DSC a few weeks ago just to try it. I didn't find it any better than the normal overpriced cartridges. I will definitely be sticking to my <10 cent blades in my DE.

If you like menthol and eucalyptus, try Proraso green shaving cream! It's the best shave cream out there!!

I frequent the Badger and Blade forums, so I have heard a lot about it. I don't think any local retailers in the US carry it (but Canada does?!?!??!) so I'll have to order it online. Just waiting to finish the stuff I have. It's Gillette Hydrasmooth gel (I know, I know), but it works well enough, especially with the Noxzema.

Do you prefer the Proraso Cream or the Soap Optimus?

I frequent the Badger and Blade forums, so I have heard a lot about it. I don't think any local retailers in the US carry it (but Canada does?!?!??!) so I'll have to order it online. Just waiting to finish the stuff I have. It's Gillette Hydrasmooth gel (I know, I know), but it works well enough, especially with the Noxzema.

Do you prefer the Proraso Cream or the Soap Optimus?

Yea I had to order it online. I use westcoastshaving.com but you should be able to find it most places. They have a pre-shave cream also (that would work similar to your noxzema, I would think). Oh, and make sure you get the green if you're looking for eucalyptus.

I prefer the cream, mostly because my water at home isn't especially good at lathering soap very well.

I keep trying other soaps and creams, and always keep going back to the Proraso. It's kind of a default for me now, with other stuff being used occasionally just for a change.

I tried DSC a few weeks ago just to try it. I didn't find it any better than the normal overpriced cartridges. I will definitely be sticking to my <10 cent blades in my DE.

I don't think the quality is better; in fact, I don't think they last quite as long as the normal overpriced ones; I replace them every 10 days to 2 weeks instead of making an overpriced one go for a couple months. Cost per shave is less.

I never got into DE razors, creams, or soaps; I just shave under the water in the shower every morning.

Trained as a barber, so a straight razor and strop are all I use. American Crew makes great shaving drops I use with their cream.

I just use hair conditioner pre-shave.

Nothing wrong with that. I can pick up a large tub of Noxzema for $2.97 at Walmart, so I choose to use that instead.

Yea I had to order it online. I use westcoastshaving.com but you should be able to find it most places. They have a pre-shave cream also (that would work similar to your noxzema, I would think). Oh, and make sure you get the green if you're looking for eucalyptus.

I prefer the cream, mostly because my water at home isn't especially good at lathering soap very well.

I keep trying other soaps and creams, and always keep going back to the Proraso. It's kind of a default for me now, with other stuff being used occasionally just for a change.

The Proraso "soap" is much softer than your standard soap.

I just buy it on eBay. I alternate between the green and the red (shea butter/sandalwood)

Finally entered the DE Shaving world. My first DE is nothing special, just a Van der Hagen from Walmart (I had a WM gift card). It's a start though, especially since I am on a tight budget. I did however go and order some nice blades for it, as the blades that come with it suck. Ended up getting some Feather blades and some Gillette Silver Blues, so we will see how they feel! I'm excited!

Feathers are fantastic but REALLY aggressive. So be extra careful. ZERO pressure, let the weight of the razor do the work.

Feathers are fantastic but REALLY aggressive. So be extra careful. ZERO pressure, let the weight of the razor do the work.

Anything has to be better than the blades that came with the DE. Everyone said to avoid them at all costs, but I said "What the hell, I want to try this." BAD move. TORE UP MY FACE. The blades were brutal.

On a more positive note, had my first shave today with a brush and a puck of soap. Had to use my Gillette Sensor razors (my favorite cartridge razor), as my DE blades won't be in until Wednesday. WOW. No goop! No clogged razor! Not as solid of a lather compared to canned gel, but it was good enough. VERY satisfied. Using the brush was fun too. I felt like a barber haha. Much less of a mess. I will not being going back to a can. EVER. My brother can have the rest of my canned stuff.