Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vintas

Bauer Nike 2006 Equipment

This place needs a goddamn Wall Street Journal forum.

"This just in from our New York office: Bauer skates up 45% while Rbk is down a point. Eagle is taking a beating based on new reports that their palm is not holding up in the 3rd period of 2-2 games. Eagle is down to $4.77 on the open market with a report to sell. In central Pennsylavania, Mission remains strong due to increased sales pressure by someone named Chadd. We are waiting for confirmation of these numbers from Puxatawney Phil who is currently asleep at the wheel of a Zamboni. In Hudson, NH, skate sharpening is up 2000% based on strong market hype about a certain dealer in the area. We will have more on this report once W finishes his press conference. And finally, everything in Rochester, Michigan is fine. Our next report is in 10 minutes."

What is a rough estimate of the other 98%? I'm not trying to start a problem. I'm just curious as to what you see in your shop, with the area hockey guys plus your skates shipped in. Its up to you if you want to share the info on this thread. Thanks.

I ran a sales report yesterday from 1/1/05 to 12/27/05. The Bauer skates did outsell all other brands 5-1. The RBK/CCM skates my customers just are not interested in. I know this is totally a regional thing. The Fred Flintstone Russian feet guys buy CCM. They come over from Brighton Beach in the city. We sharpen their skates before mens league every night. We have a 9 division, 50 team mens league here. What can I tell you? I sell what my customers want.

Funny you ask. Because I am a custom sharpener, I actually keep records on all my hockey customers, including brand/model skate. This is info they fill out when they FIRST come into my store or via internet. Meaning, the skates they have were all bought elsewhere, not from me, not effected at all by what I stock, push or sell. I haven't sat down and counted each and put them in any statistical order yet, but I can say the list probably would run the whole gammit of brands and models. No one brand/model skate has a super majority, certainly not 5 to 1 over any other brand. High end skates (of any manufacturer) are way less than than mid-range skates. As a sharpener, I will say I believe Grafs would be the high-end skate of choice in my statistical sample. For all other range models CCM/RBK and bauer pretty much are equal in what my customers prefer. One of these days, I'll sit down and create a list. My internet customers are from 20 plus states and several countries, and their preferences are scattered as well. Some high end, but more mid-range. No low-ends at all.

Zwickers.

When I was younger Mr. Zwicker was the BEST. I can't recall ever going into the shop and not seeing him there. Jimmy has sharpened my skates the last couple of times (XXX :lol: ). He can brag about his sharpening expertise since he is damn GOOD at it. B)

Zwickers.

When I was younger Mr. Zwicker was the BEST. I can't recall ever going into the shop and not seeing him there. Jimmy has sharpened my skates the last couple of times (XXX :lol: ). He can brag about his sharpening expertise since he is damn GOOD at it. B)

Ah yes, as me and a couple other guys referred to him, Old Man Zwicker, Homer was great.

Jimmy, you've got me curious, what shop are you at?

So after looking at this pictures for the gazillionth time, i realized that the only have the bauer logo on the side of the skate and the tongue, and the nike swoosh is no where to be found. Also the bauer logo on the quarter part of the skate seems to be a little lower then where it is in the catalogue. Is this because these are pro stock first run skates?

I remember with my first pair of xxx's they had pro stock stiched into the tongue, whereas my second and third pair didn't.

IMO i'd prefer just the bauer logo.

jimmy Posted on Dec 28 2005, 08:25 AM

QUOTE (DarkStar50 @ Dec 28 2005, 07:27 AM)

Maybe the guys with Vapor XXX don't like the way you sharpen skates! You do have this anti-Bauer vibe going! 

On the contrary about the sharpening. We are the best in our area and perhaps the world! 

I'm just stating facts about the so-called popularity of the XXX in my area. Regional demographics is a big factor. So while one can say 90% of AAA team player have XXX's in X area, it can be totally different in another. Exactly why you can get chittlings at McDonalds in the deep south!

I'm not anti-Bauer, just anti-hype. I haven't drank the purple "coolaid" like some, ... cough, cough. Part of the function of this board is to discuss problems, not to just suck up to the lurking manufacturers. Bauer makes a lot of great products and I sell a lot of them in my store, some are best selling items, like cages, helmets, etc. Having said that, they also make some crap. Anyone who has had broken steel can attest to that. Five kids playing in a tournement came in yesterday to have steel replaced. They were not happy campers, missed part or all of critical games. The number one piece of equipment with the most problems is skates, either with manufacturing quality or durability. I just don't have many CCM customers come in and say, they are fed up with CCM and will never buy their skates again. 

Jimmy, are you a Bauer elite or First Line Dealer at all??? If you are, you must be stucked with a lot of XXX inventory if there are only 3-4 pairs of Vapor XXX in your area, with all the minimum order program Bauer has.

And if you aren`t this kind of elite dealer, that`s totally normal you don`t have consumers going to your shop with XXX to sharpen... when`s the last time you saw a guy with a Porsche going to a Hyundai dealer for an oil change???

Getting a sharpening isn't really product specific the same way car repair is. If a shop does a good job then that's where people will go, regardless of where they bought the skates.

Exactly, I have people coming to my store every day with skates bought elsewhere, both old customers and new. As well as hundreds of internet customers from all over the country, serious hockey players who spend lots on shipping, so we are not talkng poor people. I would say I have a good representation of buyer trends from my area, as well as the U.S. in general. The XXX is about 2%. BTW, I do sell the XXX. Send me $440 and I'll send you a pair. :D

440? i paid close to 800$ canadian for mine last spring

So after looking at this pictures for the gazillionth time, i realized that the only have the bauer logo on the side of the skate and the tongue, and the nike swoosh is no where to be found. Also the bauer logo on the quarter part of the skate seems to be a little lower then where it is in the catalogue. Is this because these are pro stock first run skates?

I remember with my first pair of xxx's they had pro stock stiched into the tongue, whereas my second and third pair didn't.

IMO i'd prefer just the bauer logo.

THe samples that are out are Bauer logo'd...the final will have the NBH logo. Same goes with the XXX Lite and the new helmets.

Jr,

Do you know if they are bakeable? The high end eastons couldnt be baked because of the one peice structure. Do we know how much the msrp is going to be?

There's been tons of threads.

Yes, moldable, and the back of the boot will slightly take the shape of your foot when done. This skate is not composite like the SyNergy. MSRP $575

Ok, after Darkstar's comments, when I had some extra time today, I pulled out the

stats from the last 129 first-time hockey sharpening customers to come into my shop. No rec skaters, just hockey players of all ages. None bought their skates from me. I have no clue where they bought them. Skate models ranged from Bauer Impact 100's to top end. Here's what brand skates by raw numbers they are using:

Bauer: 48

CCM: 46

Easton: 10

Nike: 7

RBK: 5

Graf: 5

Mission: 5

Sherwood 2

Kor 1

Of the above, here's the high end skates in the bunch:

Graf 4

XX 2

Pro tack 1

Vector Pro 1

1300 2

V12 2

KOR 1

8k 0

XXX 0

Missions 0

While counting, I didn't see one model as being chosen more than others, except for perhaps the low end stuff that parents choose for their children, e.g., more Impact 100's than VAPXV's, more Vector 3.0s than Vector 7.0's. The models ranged all over the place. The Missions suprised me the most, all AMP's. Also two Sherwoods, who would have thought. :D As I get more time I'll finish the stats, but the above is a good sample of brands used in my area.

Jr,

Do you know if they are bakeable? The high end eastons couldnt be baked because of the one peice structure. Do we know how much the msrp is going to be?

I was under the impression that the inability to bake had more to do with the adhesive than the composite materials.

Jr,

I was under the impression that the inability to bake had more to do with the adhesive than the composite materials.

I thought it was because it could deform the shell and if it didn't do that it would severly affect durability.

Jr,

I thought it was because it could deform the shell and if it didn't do that it would severly affect durability.

Durability doesn't matter if the rest of the skate is in pieces. That's why I like the way Kor implemented the composite skate concept.

Project_2501 - you can heat up a shaft, right? And that's 1000 degrees. I baked my SyNergys. It CAN be done...what Chadd is alluding to is the reason why they don't advertise it.

Good point. I was going to say that you can damage your OPS by direct flame, but baking skates is 175* for X minutes, far from an open flame.

I believe that I heard somewhere that boot deformeties (sp?) occured when they were baked for whatever reason, and because I wasn't buying a pair, I took it for what it was worth.

The new 2006 1500 C can be baked. The "line" I got from my Easton rep was they changed the interior foams for 06 to allow the skate to be baked.

Jimmy,

Thanks for digging up the info on sharpening. Its interesting #'s for guys who sharpen alot of skates. Mack- we do this to piss you off! Its working......

i'm assuming thats $575 U.S. for the skate?

Cause that converts to about 670 cdn, which is about the same that i paid for my xxx's when they first were released.

Ok I am just your run of the mill consumer but since bauer is not changing the XXX, does this mean that the price will go up in 06,,Down,,, stay the same???I think my 30's were 450.00---not bad.

Didn't I read somewhere that the Flexlite line is done for 2006? I hope I can get my hands on a pair of Flexlite 12's around May....they're the only "new/light" skates that fit my feet comfortably. And hopefully the price will drop a bit from the current $400 tag.