Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

looking to convert some M8s, and trying to decide between hi/lo or a labeda chassis. outside my normal preferences, does anyone know any advantage/drawback to one or the other on that boot?

Hey everybody, 

Looking for some advice on a conversion I'd like to do. 

I'm looking to put a Labeda Humer Eviction chassis on a set of Nexus 8000's. I've seen conversions on here with the humer chassis but no real description on how this was done. I'm worried that the second wheel will contact the bottom of the boot. I know that the Alkali and Tour boots have a space built in for that wheel, however, I'd really prefer not to Drumel the bottom of the boot if I can avoid it. 

I've seen some people use plastic spacers but I'm unsure of sizes. Any advice would be great. Thanks for your help!

On 9/15/2016 at 3:41 PM, FlyGuy19 said:

Hey everybody, 

I'm looking to put a Labeda Humer Eviction chassis on a set of Nexus 8000's. I've seen conversions on here with the humer chassis but no real description on how this was done. I'm worried that the second wheel will contact the bottom of the boot. I know that the Alkali and Tour boots have a space built in for that wheel, however, I'd really prefer not to Drumel the bottom of the boot if I can avoid it. 

I've seen some people use plastic spacers but I'm unsure of sizes. Any advice would be great. Thanks for your help!

Pretty easy, just use a spacer. In a pinch you can use the thin visor spacers to give you just enough room for the full 80 setup. 

On 9/15/2016 at 3:41 PM, FlyGuy19 said:

Hey everybody, 

I did this on a pair of Bauer Vapors a while back.  The wheel only brushed the bottom slightly though.  I just used sandpaper and was able to create enough space on the bottom of the boot for the wheel to spin.  I think the Vapors had a contoured bottom of the boot.  Your situation might be different, but if its just missing....sandpaper did the trick for me. 

Has anyone ever considered ventilation when it comes to a conversion and whether it makes any difference? I converted some Rbz's and have only just wondered whether it makes any difference and whether anybody has actually modified the boot for ventilation and if I should do it?

I am thinking about converting some Bauer One.8s with the HI-LO Aluminum Chassis (http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/HI-LO_Aluminum_Roller_Hockey_Chassis_2015/descpage-HLALF5.html

How would the composite outsole hold up if I had to dremel some of it?  I will be doing this myself under the watchful eyes of a friend who has swapped out many ice holders for people he has never put a chassis on a boot though.  Any tips for that?  Is there anything different than an ice holder?

1 hour ago, strosedefence34 said:

I am thinking about converting some Bauer One.8s with the HI-LO Aluminum Chassis (http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/HI-LO_Aluminum_Roller_Hockey_Chassis_2015/descpage-HLALF5.html

How would the composite outsole hold up if I had to dremel some of it?  I will be doing this myself under the watchful eyes of a friend who has swapped out many ice holders for people he has never put a chassis on a boot though.  Any tips for that?  Is there anything different than an ice holder?

I had to dremel the outsole bump on my converted CCM Tacks skates and haven't had a single issue yet. I agree with Althoma1 that you probably won't need to but even if you do, you'll be golden. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

You shouldn't need to dremel the outsole for a HI-LO chassis. It's the Labeda Hummer all 80mm chassis that often requires some dremelling.

1 hour ago, IW Team - Chase said:

I had to dremel the outsole bump on my converted CCM Tacks skates and haven't had a single issue yet. I agree with Althoma1 that you probably won't need to but even if you do, you'll be golden. 

Any tips on mounting the chassis?

Before removing the ice blade holders, mark the center points front and back on the boots so you won't have figure out how to align the chassis on the boot. And I like to have the front wheel and rear wheel stick out by the same amount.

All the chassis I've ever used have had less pitch than ice skates so I've always added a shim on the heel to replicate the feeling.

Will you be using rivets or T-Nuts?

I've never mounted a chassis myself, but I think Larry's advice is sound for most chassis including the Hi-Lo. The only chassis I know of where this differs slightly is Sprungs where they should be mounted 1/4" more toward the rear.

I do like when a shop alternates copper and steel rivets for roller conversions as it feels more secure - roller puts even more stress on rivets than ice, plus I'm not a small guy at 6'2" and north of 200lbs; so having the extra copper rivets give me piece of mind that it's not likely to come loose. I have had rivets come loose in the past ages ago on stock skates that only had coppers in the two rear positions and steel for the rest.

4 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Any tips on mounting the chassis?

Try this thread. I took pics and did a run down of what I did with my last conversion (years ago)

Thanks for the advice guys.  If and when I win the one.8's off eBay I will purchase the chassis.  I plan on doing this at the shop I work at.  I only work 4 hours a week and always leave the repairs for the other guy who works there with more experience in holder swaps.  I figure what better way to learn then to do it myself.  I will post pictures when they are complete.

Hello,

i am about to do my first ice to inline conversion. Are there boots to stay away from or will most be fine? Bauer vapor x600, nexus n8000, supreme s160, verbero(if they make an inline boot?) and maybe ccm boot might be considered too. Mission magnesium hi lo chassis. Any suggestions? The LHS is going to mount the boot and chassis.

The stiffer skates like the Verberos and Nexus 8000 should last longer than lower end Supremes or Vapors. How long depends on a variety of factors: how much you weigh, how you care for them, how often you skate ect. 

Personally, I play and ref several times a year so usually get around 2 or 3 years out of skates before I want to replace them. I could likely push them longer though.

Hey guys! Visiting you from the ice hockey side. I have a couple of conversion questions I hope you'll be able to answer, or at least point me in the right direction.

Looking at a pair of skates for roller hockey. Not so much games, but more for training purposes. So I don't need the priciest/lightest/nicest setup, but rather looking for a good pair of skates to mess around with.

Have an old pair of Vapor 10 ice skates, which could be a good conversion candidate. The holder on one is cracked but the boots are in otherwise decent shape, and are still fairly stiff. (Prefer a stiffer boot) I'd have to buy a 

Or the other option is, just go and buy a new pair of intermediate-level Bauer Vapor roller skates. 

So the questions -

1) How much does a conversion typically cost (labor cost - assuming I am providing the holders)

2) I have a Pure Hockey locally, they'd typically do this right? Or is there somewhere recommended that I could send the skates and holders, and have them do the conversion for me?

3) Still leaning towards the conversion vs buying a pair of Vapor x400, is there a good reason why I should definitely consider the X400 instead of converting?

4) This is probably going to be a question without a right answer, but could someone point me towards some good options for holders (frames?) for this purpose? 

Many thanks for any help you can lend me.

• Like 1

I would try to stay local as shipping anywhere could more than double the cost. Just ask your local stores about cost; I know my local store charges $30.

If your old Vapor boots fit well and are in good shape then I would convert them.

For training purposes I would look into the Marsblade,  Sprung and Fizix chassis. The Marsblade was designed for off ice training.  Sprungs use a suspension system and feel closer to ice than a traditional chassis. Fizix is an evolution of Sprungs made out of aluminum. It isn't out yet and is in the testing phase, but should be out this year. There are huge threads on Sprung and a good one on Marsblade on this site. Fizix has a Facebook page with pictures and some information. Personally I have only used Sprungs and I do like them.

• Like 1