Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

What? what are you riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighting about?

Can anyone back me up on customers refusing a proper size?

Another classic reason for a customer to get a discount is because they are "GOOD FRIENDS" with the LHS owner, Manager, Sales Rep, rink owner, etc. etc. etc.

When a customer insists on buying a skate that is too big and we tell them its too big, we let them know this will be a final sale with no refund, no returns, no exceptions. We tell them that this info will be marked on their receipt which we type in at the register. This way if they try to return the skate and there is a different person at the register, once the customer shows the receipt, the discussion is over. All returns must be accompanied by a receipt for proof of purchase and date of purchase. I feel like I work in Modells when I have to sell skates too big that don't fit on the customer's insistence. However, if the customer has a problem with the skates, my back is covered. BTW, these are usually the customers looking to buy "skating shoes."

Had a pretty funny one yesterday. Guy dropped his skates off on sunday to get a custom radius done. I called him on monday and told him they were ready so he comes and picks them up. I put them on he counter pull out the receipt and say, "Thatll be $8 sir" he gives me the nastiest look and says "your seriously charging me for this, i bought these skates here over a month ago!!"

I go on to tell him how no shop ever has or ever will do a custom radius for free. When he bought the skates we sharpened them for free and baked them.

He then tells me he's not coming to this store anymore and he's taking all the business he's given us else where. Haha, i work 6 days a week 9 hours a day so i have a very good idea of our customers and when they come in. This guy has probably bought a roll of tape or two in the past from us until one of his friends told him to come to us to save a few bucks on a new pair of skates!

Inside i was laughing but obviously i held that in. First of all we gave him 10% off when he bought the skates so he already saved $43 and if he really has a problem spending $8 for a custom radius on a $430 pair of skates then he probably isnt our type of customer. I know for a fact that every shop in our area charges $15+ for a custom radius and no one does it for free when u buy the skates. The key word is "Custom" which means it takes time, and in our business time is money! I hope he does go to another store and then realizing he got an incredible deal on the skates and that it does indeed cost $$$$ for custom radius's.

Had a pretty funny one yesterday. Guy dropped his skates off on sunday to get a custom radius done. I called him on monday and told him they were ready so he comes and picks them up. I put them on he counter pull out the receipt and say, "Thatll be $8 sir" he gives me the nastiest look and says "your seriously charging me for this, i bought these skates here over a month ago!!"

I go on to tell him how no shop ever has or ever will do a custom radius for free. When he bought the skates we sharpened them for free and baked them.

He then tells me he's not coming to this store anymore and he's taking all the business he's given us else where. Haha, i work 6 days a week 9 hours a day so i have a very good idea of our customers and when they come in. This guy has probably bought a roll of tape or two in the past from us until one of his friends told him to come to us to save a few bucks on a new pair of skates!

Inside i was laughing but obviously i held that in. First of all we gave him 10% off when he bought the skates so he already saved $43 and if he really has a problem spending $8 for a custom radius on a $430 pair of skates then he probably isnt our type of customer. I know for a fact that every shop in our area charges $15+ for a custom radius and no one does it for free when u buy the skates. The key word is "Custom" which means it takes time, and in our business time is money! I hope he does go to another store and then realizing he got an incredible deal on the skates and that it does indeed cost $$$$ for custom radius's.

I can name 3 shops in the area off the top of my head who will do a free first time radius on skates purchased in said shop.

$8 isn't bad... Seriously I don't understand why people complain over stuff like this. You got a service, expect to pay. If you think you might be charged ASK! It's not that hard.

And seriously if you are having trouble spending $33 to get something that you liked when you were coming in for a sale for something that was $30 maybe you shouldn't be spending money in the first place. Here I'll give you $3 to shut up and go away... sorry, I had a bad day at work.

8$ for a Contour IS cheap. I'm assuming it was just to get the blades in shape not a professional radius job. Some companys can put a pair of runners on a pair of skates that aren't totally exact on the radius level.

Some prices in my shop i have no control over. When i came there the price for a custom radius was $8 and it still is to this day. Im sure we could charge more but that price is up to me. We do a professional radius, not some quick two minute hack job. So for a customer to complain about $8 for having that done shows me what kind of person they really are. JR, how much do you charge and do you do it for free when someone buys a pair of skates??? I know two shops in my area that actually charge the customers extra to sharpen the skates they just bought from them. To me theres a big difference between sharpening a new pair of skates and putting a custom radius on them, hence why we charge extra for the radius and not the sharpening!!

$20 is the going rate in MI, however I charge $25 based on my experience, the fact that I do on-ice evaluations (which nobody in this area does) and I do free adjustments.

I do not throw them in with a skate purchase, however I have done it before to get the sale.

I am not knocking you - I am just wondering why so cheap.

What kind of setup do you use?

When a customer insists on buying a skate that is too big and we tell them its too big, we let them know this will be a final sale with no refund, no returns, no exceptions. We tell them that this info will be marked on their receipt which we type in at the register. This way if they try to return the skate and there is a different person at the register, once the customer shows the receipt, the discussion is over. All returns must be accompanied by a receipt for proof of purchase and date of purchase. I feel like I work in Modells when I have to sell skates too big that don't fit on the customer's insistence. However, if the customer has a problem with the skates, my back is covered. BTW, these are usually the customers looking to buy "skating shoes."

Do they (customers) go through with the purchase after you mentioned it was a final sale? It sounds like good enough of a deterrent to go with the proper size first and if then they are still not content; make use of the availability to exchange and get the larger size.

Yes, even though we tell the customer the skates are too big, some just insist that they will only buy that size. We decide not to argue with them so we just tell the customer its a final sale even if you have a problem. The customer has not taken our professional advice. We know when skates are too big. Some people do not listen to reason.

We use the blademaster setup and trust me if it was up to me we'd be charging $20 to do the custom jobs. About half our customers know what their talking about when they ask for a radius, but the other half make me cringe. I try and absorb as much info as they tell me so i can give them the best options that fit their needs. Unfortunately our store isnt in a rink so we're unable to actually see the players skate but thats definitely an advantage. Ive had a few customers come back stating they felt they were too far forward or back after having the radius done and we gladly fixed it for free.

$20 is the going rate in MI, however I charge $25 based on my experience, the fact that I do on-ice evaluations (which nobody in this area does) and I do free adjustments.

I do not throw them in with a skate purchase, however I have done it before to get the sale.

Out of curiosity, what do you look for when evaluating someone? If it's a secret, I understand.

At my LHS the employees are always very good to me. Everytime I buy a stick they give me a free role of tape,there sharpening is always awesome. I bought a lacrosse shaft there and I broke it within warranty, I expected to have to wait until my new one came in but they just gave it to me right there.

Out of curiosity, what do you look for when evaluating someone? If it's a secret, I understand.

Posture, knee bend, stride length, turning radius...

around here you should expect to pay $30 for a radius job... $8 is a steal, especially if you do more than a good ol' hack job.

Edited by TBLfan

For me its not really things customers do that bother my but more of observations I see daily. I try to make a game out of working everyday. See how many twisted thoughts I can have in a conversation, you know, spice it up make things fun. Enjoy...

I think after about 7 years of working in pro shops my favorite reponse has to be when people come in for sharpenings (not just kids but adults too) and I ask them "What cut would you like for your skates?" Their answer to me is "Oh, just on the bottom of the skates where the steel is." :o Inside I'm laughing pretty hard, and everytime I think to myself maybe this is the time I might run the wheel through the toecap and shred it to pieces just for fun.

I love people who like to tell me what size skate they are without even measuring their foot because apparentelly they're the expert now because they read it somewhere on the internet and their best friend told them how it should fit. Yeah those Brannock foot thingies are just here for decorations. I live for the moment they put the skate on and I can fit a fist behind their heal.

Also, I love owning people with the edge leveler after I'm done sharpening their skates and they complain to me "How do you know its straight, you didn't even look at the edge." Let me show you how I can tell... (shows leveler), and my response is "Well I kinda know what I'm doing." I don't go to your job and question how you know the fries are done okay!?!

I'm sure some of you can releate to this one, the know-it-all guy who plays rec hockey in the lower levels and he comes to your shop to get a sharpening and just by the conversation you can tell this guy doesn't trust your ability. You finally convince him your capable of doing his skates, hes watching your every pass of the wheel like a hawk asking you questions, feeling your answers out. Then he's eyeing the edges of the skates you just finished, balancing a coin on the edge looking at the light, checking your work...then about a week or two goes by and what do you know that guy comes back looking for you and hes all stoked about the cut you gave him last time, and now you've made a friend for life, he calls the shop to make sure your there so he can come by and get his skates done, if you're not there he leaves them for you with a note "I'll be in tomorrow to pick them up, k thx." Before you know it he knows your work schedule better than you do by the 3rd sharpening.

Personally I don't care if people try out all the sticks, gloves etc... and don't put them back all nice and neat, nobody's perfect, and you can't tell me none of you have ever been shopping and put things back perfect or folded every shirt you've looked at. You have to touch the product to get a feel for it, besides it gives me something to do when we get slow. My feeling is you should set an example for other employees that you don't have to be told to clean up the shop, take initiative and in the end usually your bosses take note of things like that.

I write these things down to share the experiences with you, I may come off as a jerk telling the stories like I'm talking down to people, I'm really not. Honestly these are the messed up thoughts I have running through my head as I'm helping some these people out. :)

Edited by 21Forsberg

As a customer I hate people who work at stores and have no clue what they're doing. I remember asking a guy if there shop would order some SOP's for me becuase I didn't feel like going back to the place I did it before. Then the guy replying Sher-Wood doesn't do that. I liked the look the guy gave me when I told him i've done it before and asking him if I could talk to someone else.

The Oakley may very well be a nice visor and the iTech may not have worked out for you, but I just wanted to point out that not everyone has these complaints.

Not to mention the tool-less design of the iTech makes it very convenient to replace the shield or pop off the full assembly for a skate and shoot.

Hey Man - he was asking for experiences - I gave him mine.

No need to piss on my neck and tell me it's raining, ok?

Instead of spending time trying to debunk someone else's experiences to make yourself seem like a hockey svengali, why don't you simply state YOUR experiences?

By the way, I actually play hockey.

I agree that flexing OPS's is pointless because, not only do you not get an idea of what it will feel like until you shoot a puck with it,

I know someone that insists on flexing OPS of the same model/flex to try to determine which in a certain batch feels stiffer in comparison to the others. (he also did this for wood sticks...because of their wider variation in manufacturing...)

I haven't bothered because I am probably too weak to make anything but a junior stick flex. I assume that there is some differences within a batch because I have seen slight lie angle differences in composite replacement blades that are supposed to be the same model...so depending on how picky someone is as to feel (not necessarily determinative of actual performance of the person or shaft/stick) there are possibly reasons to flex a given stick, etc. for comparison.

Ability to detect differences is not necessarily indicative of ability to peform/play hockey... a person might just be sensitive to the inherent manufacturing differences that are present... although this sounds extreme... composite hockey sticks just aren't expensive enough for a batch of the same model and flex of stick to feel or spec. exactly the same (cf. golf club shafts where $300 plus graphite shafts also suffer from differences in frequency (a way of measuring flex), weight, and seam differences.) Relatively speaking composite hockey sticks and blades would cost a bit more if the tolerances were all that tight... Since the hockey buying public isn't as picky as they think they are... (no frequency analyzers and actual scientific comparisons of the different stick/shaft properties in shops or done by major retailers--> see Golfsmith and Golfworks catalogs)...

Ok - to summarize the incoherent ramblings - there are reasons to flex OPS, and just because 5 sticks in the same manufacturing batch say 85 flex doesn't mean that they are all the same; just because You or I can't tell the difference doesn't mean someone else can't. Also, just because they can tell the difference doesn't mean it actually makes a measurable or discernable performance difference to them -- and this has nothing at all whatsoever to do with their hockey skill or experience -- although a person with such traits will probably be more of a pain in the ass as their experience or skill increases.

I hate being in a pro shop when a skate lil' employee (younger inexperienced staff only there because of budget constraints) lies to customers in the shop

here are a couple I've heard in the past few months:

Ex.1 "Yeah those Graf 735's are great... Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky wore them most of their careers... they started wearing them in Canada Cup '87"

or Ex.2 "All the pros are using that pattern..."

or Ex.3 "Owen Nolan plays for the other team; he is a flamer..."

(Note - I don't know anything about the truth of Ex.#3)

Anyhow - I wondered if the kids were on a commission structure or a SPIF program? or do the skate lil' employees just like lying? or do they just talk out their ass when they don't know something?

Lying to customers is evil.