Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

No, there's more than two, but I take the bus everywhere and don't want to go way out of my way or spend an hour on the bus to get my skates sharpened, or buy some tape or something. If I'm making a real equipment purchase, I'll go to a little more trouble. Really, I'm just being a whiner, I think, but that's what the internet is for. I'm displeased in general with the service and overall quality of hockey shops as stores, because I only moved to Ottawa a couple years ago, and wasn't too pleased with my LHS people before that either. If any other kind of store treated their customers like some of these places do, they'd be out of business. I know there are good ones, so sorry to everyone here that runs or works at those ones.

I know I'm late on this and some of the peeves have been mentioned already but here were mine a few years back

-People taking the smart hockey balls out of the box and taking a stick off the rack and shooting the balls at the walls in the store.

-Entire teams coming in 10 minutes before again and they all need different hollows and they want the skates done 10 minutes ago.

- "It was your fault my son had a bad game" trying to tell me the skates are sharpened wrong, When I just proved the edges were square and sharp and my co-workers and boss just confirmed they were fine.

- We used to have a middle storage room in our pro shop, that was closed off with curtains and said employee's only...you can figure out the rest.

- Beer league guys who forgot their pads and want to buy the cheapest we have, use them and then come in and try to return them saying they haven't used them when I watched them put the pads (usually elbows) on in the pro shop, throw the jersey on and go skate.

We finally put up a sign next to the sharpening machine: Please do not interrupt the sharpener while he is sharpening skates. We got tired of customers trying to talk to us when sharpening and then figuring we were rude for ignoring them. Excuse me, safety first.

Here at our shop, we have a list going of "interesting" things customers say to us. Here are some of them:

1. Blond mullet guy in cowboy boots.

Q. "Sharpening."

A. "Yes, sir."

Q. "You any good?"

A. "I guess that's the risk you have to take."

2. "Do you sell any neon colored pucks?"

3. (On phone) "Are you open?"

4. "Do you sell hockey skates here?"

5. Q. "Can I have two dollars for a five?"

A. "You're gonna gime me this five and I give you two singles?"

6. "Do you sell lip gloss here?"

7. Q. "What jersey is this?"

A. "Russia."

Q. "What country is that?"

A. "............."

8. "Do I have to pay for that?"

9. "I know they are for the same game but could you put mine before their's?"

10. Customer- "If I buy a goalie stick and I don't like it, can I return it?"

Answer- "If it's not used."

Customer- "Oh, nevermind then."

11. Q. "What size shoe do you wear?"

A. "9.5...American."

12. (in a heavy asia accent) "Skuze me! You have skating shoe number 3?"

13. (customer looks at his skates) "Those aren't mine."

14. (to customer) "Easy on the gangsta talk, I don't know what you're saying."

15. "Do you sell pom poms for skates?"

16. "Do you have any hankerchiefs?"

17. "Can ANYBODY bring their skates in for sharpening?"

18. "He didn't skate on the pond, he skated on a lake, they're not the same are they?"

19. "Do you sell anti spray?"

20. "I guess my son is between a size two and a half and a tree."

21. "What size is S?"

22. Customer- "Do you sell alex wrenches?"

Answer- "You mean allen wrenches?"

Customer- "Um, yeah alex wrenches."

23. "How much is that sharpening card for $48?"

24. Customer- "Do you have like a catalogue to order frome?"

Answer- "No, but you can order from our internet store."

Customer- "Oh ok, can I have one of those?"

25. "Bauer, that's not the same company as CCM is it?"

Here at our shop, we have a list going of "interesting" things customers say to us. Here are some of them:

1. Blond mullet guy in cowboy boots.

Q. "Sharpening."

A. "Yes, sir."

Q. "You any good?"

A. "I guess that's the risk you have to take."

2. "Do you sell any neon colored pucks?"

3. (On phone) "Are you open?"

4. "Do you sell hockey skates here?"

5. Q. "Can I have two dollars for a five?"

A. "You're gonna gime me this five and I give you two singles?"

6. "Do you sell lip gloss here?"

7. Q. "What jersey is this?"

A. "Russia."

Q. "What country is that?"

A. "............."

8. "Do I have to pay for that?"

9. "I know they are for the same game but could you put mine before their's?"

10. Customer- "If I buy a goalie stick and I don't like it, can I return it?"

Answer- "If it's not used."

Customer- "Oh, nevermind then."

11. Q. "What size shoe do you wear?"

A. "9.5...American."

12. (in a heavy asia accent) "Skuze me! You have skating shoe number 3?"

13. (customer looks at his skates) "Those aren't mine."

14. (to customer) "Easy on the gangsta talk, I don't know what you're saying."

15. "Do you sell pom poms for skates?"

16. "Do you have any hankerchiefs?"

17. "Can ANYBODY bring their skates in for sharpening?"

18. "He didn't skate on the pond, he skated on a lake, they're not the same are they?"

19. "Do you sell anti spray?"

20. "I guess my son is between a size two and a half and a tree."

21. "What size is S?"

22. Customer- "Do you sell alex wrenches?"

Answer- "You mean allen wrenches?"

Customer- "Um, yeah alex wrenches."

23. "How much is that sharpening card for $48?"

24. Customer- "Do you have like a catalogue to order frome?"

Answer- "No, but you can order from our internet store."

Customer- "Oh ok, can I have one of those?"

25. "Bauer, that's not the same company as CCM is it?"

That was a good laugh for the day. Thanks :D

If it makes you guys feel better it's just not LHS.

*Standing next to a heelys stand*

"Can you tell me where the heelys are?"

Response: *Looks back at rack and waits for response*

Sad thing is half the time they don't get it.

*Standing next to the basketball isle(Where about 400 basketballs are displayed and basketball systems are along the entire isle*

"Do you guys sell basketballs?"

Response: "nope"

"Excuse me I don't see a size 7 in this shoe"

Response: *Looks down and grabs a box that clearly says "US size 7"*

And our favorite:

*While putting out product in uniform AND nametag*

"Do you work here?"

Response: "Sometimes"

*After wasting about 30 minutes arranging every shoe so that they are all grouped together by model and size a customer comes in and tries on 10 different shoes in about 3 sizes each shoe and either puts them back in the wrong place, wrong box and/or just leaves them on the floor*

Response: "Walk away, take a break and curse a lot"

Basically anyone that has customers is going to have to deal with it... Sadly smaller buisnesses(such as LHS or mom and pop stores) have more to lose than their job. If someone steals or breaks something from walmart the employee doesn't lose any money, if someone steals or breaks something from a LHS the owner(and half the time worker in the store) loses money. Losg story short be respectful to other people and use common sense before you ask stupid questions.

OK, how about this one:

Customer: Can I have some laces please?

Clerk: What size?

Customer: Looks at lace and says 1/4" (was eyeballing the width!)

My favorite:

Kid: 1/2" please

Wise a$$ sharpener: Sorry, we are all out of 1/2" today, you're going to have to get 4/8ths.

Kid, ah man, I really want 1/2"

When you are fitting a customer forever, and they get skates that are two sizes to big for them. The kids and their parents look at you like YOU do not know what you are talking about........Your frustration builds up when you see that benders foot coming out when they are walking around...."THESE ARE A PERFECT FIT"

When you are fitting a customer forever, and they get skates that are two sizes to big for them. The kids and their parents look at you like YOU do not know what you are talking about........Your frustration builds up when you see that benders foot coming out when they are walking around...."THESE ARE A PERFECT FIT"

Ummmmmmm..............perhaps you shouldn't give them a pair that is 2 sizes too big to try on. Just a thought.

Ummmmmmm..............perhaps you shouldn't give them a pair that is 2 sizes too big to try on. Just a thought.

\

Nah. Nah. They try on pairs that are the proper size refuse to except that go to the shelf and pick a size that they feel is right for them and after I debate with them forever i give up and just ring them out.......JUST A THOUGH

I've had a Doctor return a pair of 1 dollar laces. He had to fill out an entire return form, which takes about 5 minutes. This was a doctor, a man who makes hundreds of thousands a year, taking 7 minutes out of his life to return a pair of laces.

I just love it when people come in thinking they're extra special and shouldn't have to wait in the sharpening line-up just because they were smart enough to wait 10 minutes before icetime to get them sharpened.

I don't mind when I straighten the glove wall or sticks or skate or whatever because half the time they don't even realize they're doing it. They just want to check the stuff out, no big deal. I'm getting paid, I'll straighten it again when they're done.

We have some new sharpeners at the store that are only around 16 years old. I know for a fact they are good sharpeners as they go through some grueling training. You don't have to be 25 to find a hollow. I HATE IT when customers say "Your NOT doing my skates" or "Are YOU going to be doing them?". Never judge a book by it's cover, people. I bet some MSHers are guilty of this. If you have had good sharpenings from there before, chances are they are getting trained by the people that did your skates that time. So, give them a shot.

Most customers are plesant and it makes the job great, but 1 in 10 you get the phsyco who thinks he's at the top of the world.

Edited by mackallica

couldnt agree more with mackallica, im 17 and sharpen skates all the time and people think that im some bender who doesnt know what hes doing, little do they know i was trained by the one and only JR!

couldnt agree more with mackallica, im 17 and sharpen skates all the time and people think that im some bender who doesnt know what hes doing, little do they know i was trained by the one and only JR!

Who??

And it makes me even more mad when the kid comes to get me to sharpen the skates because the custy is "eyeing him up". Dude, suck it up. You work here, you're going to get assholes everyday. You're a good sharpener, tell them to trust you and show them your hollow when your done.

we have a sharpener here in the shop who apparently went on the road with michelle kwan to take care of her skates...everyone, regardless of level, who has her sharpen their skates says she does a great job. but customers initially want to "drop them off for someone else" or will walk in, obviously wanting a sharpening, but leave without getting it done, because she's not a hockey guy.

Okay...since we've jumped outside of the LHS world. Here's a customer story from "my world"

(I produce Radio commercials for those who don't know).

Let's say the spot starts on Friday. The writer has been bugging the client for over a week to supply "Creative Information" so they can write the script. On Wednesday the info finally comes in. Writer turns the hap hazard points in to a script that makes a certain amount of sense and gives it to me late on Wednesday afternoon, after all my voice talent have been through production.

Obviously, the client wants more than one voice and some sound effects and stuff. Fine. I do the spot on Thursday and load it into our system. The writer sends the client an MP3 of the spot. We think all is well.

Friday comes and goes, the weekend comes and goes. The client calls in a panic on Monday. The spot is wrong. Whatever it is (address, phone number, price point, model number of a featured item...whatever). Writer checks the info that the client provided...Yup, it's wrong...Their mistake. Now...I have to drop the project I'm doing, and re-do the spot for Mr. Dumbass and explain to my Sales Manager why the client wants make-goods **ie Free spots** to make up for the error THEY made!

Who??

Me.