Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Well, yea, but since it's the only place in the country where i can buy such skates, there is no must for them to make their prices competitive. So i wasn't such an asshole to tell them that im gonna order them online, but i was working last summer to get those skates, so i didnt wanted to pay 2x more for the same product.

I would like to applaud my LHS for the service they did me and my team this weekend.

I blew three rivits on my skate before our allstar game (which was early Saturday morning) and I rushed down to my LHS to see if they could fix it. They close at 5 and it was 440 when I got there.

The guy who was in there fixed it without question and then tightened my blades. He also sharpened mine and my D partner's skates (even though he had to change the hollow on his machine.)

He found that one of Katie's skates had been sharpened poorly before and the radius was gone on it...so he re-did it for her. We were there until 520 and all we got was our skates fixed...but trust me, both of us are going back.

The small things matter.

TBLfan mentions this often: if the guy who sharpens your skates does a good job, every once in a while throw him a reasonable tip, what you can afford and feel is right. Just a small acknowledgment like that goes a long way. Trust me, he will remember you and always do a good job. Its the people who always ask for favors and then never pay it forward that never really get it in life.

Wow, tips would be nice. I guess I'm just different though. Even the guy who just screwed me by buying skates online after wasting hours of our time fitting him the week before, gets the same perfect sharpening as the long time loyal customer. I don't mess around with sharpening. Now if he wants a heat molding, that'll be $25.

Whether you tip me or not, the sharpening is spot on. That's my reputation I put out every time. The tip is just a cherry on top for a job well done. Try putting a buck or two in the hand of the guy who pours your coffee at the deli every morning. I'll bet in a week he'll remember your name and the coffee will be waiting for you on the counter as soon as he sees you walk in. The same karma could happen at your LHS if you try it.

I've never really thought about tipping. My daughter plays hockey and figure skates. When she is playing hockey, I am usually on the ice coaching, but when she is at freestyle, I am just hanging around and I've unloaded and helped to unload truck loads of new gear several times so the guy in the shop can take care of his customers. Helps them out, and gives me something to do. They do a great job on my skates, but they would anyway.

The tip is just a small thank you, it's only a dollar here and there but if someone sees me do it they might do it to. Most of the guys at my LHS are college guys so every little bit helps and it's a little nicer than a thank you.

I've been asked about leaving a tip by an old timer, I just handed him my finished skate and asked him if he thought it deserved a tip. He looked at the blade and I asked him if he could expect to get a sharpening as good at any other local shops... He left a dollar tip before his skates got touched.

Like I said a dollar isn't much to me but if someone else sees me and leaves a tip, and someone sees them and leaves a tip... It adds up quickly. Keep in mind that my LHS is awesome, I've had them fix my elbow pads and other misc things and they never ask for a dime for those small repairs. I think I gave him a $8 tip or something for fixing my elbow pads.

coming from a customers point of view, a tip is only worth what you think the value of a persons service is. I have been to restaurants before and left no tip or tipped the person that did help me which was not necessarily my waiter/waitress. Same thing goes for a business like the LHS. They provide you a service. If you feel they have done a good job, and/or gone out of their way to help you, maybe you feel like they should be compensated a little extra for their time that they could have been making money by helping another customer but took care of you instead. I recently had problems with my one90 skates not fitting right, and needed new ones. The guy spent almost 2 hours with me trying different skates and just bs'ing about things. When all was said and done, i bought a new pair of vapor xxxx's, he baked them twice and sharpened/profiled them for me, and gave me $40 off the purchase price of the skates. He then offered if I couldnt sell my one90's for what they were worth (street value) he would go to bat with the owner and give me as much as he possibly could for a trade in. Well, I ended up selling the old skates to someone i know, but for the guy's trouble and generosity of knowledge and time, I went back to the store specifically to thank him for his help and gave him a $40 tip. I think that is the kind of service customers should expect from their LHS, and I think the people that work at them and work hard to be knowledgeable in their business should be rewarded fairly. Just like TBL said, most of the guys are college/high school and can use every little bit extra they can get. But that is just my 2cents....

sorry for the novel, lol

Edited by revolutionz_s13

Same here, well, almost. I tipped my shop $10 for dealing with my headache of a foot and trying to find a skate that fits. Took an hour an a half, but it was worth it in the end.

Bet you they don't recognize me the next time I come in...

That's my reputation I put out every time.

I wish that sentiment could be impressed upon a few people around Toronto...

After my little escapade with my LHS, I've made the following resolutions:

1) When one of the three guys I (now) trust sharpens my blades, I'm giving the cash directly to them, with a tip if possible. The list price for a sharpening at this place is shockingly low - which I like, of course, being a broke grad student - but I think I could probably double it for them now and then.

2) If it's one of the guys I don't trust, I'll pay at the front and get a receipt.

Story time:

One of my favourite days in a hockey shop involved going with a buddy of mine (who was about to move overseas) out to a well-known goalie store. It was a bit of a trek, so we figured we'd make a day of it. Thing was, I didn't need any gear and my mate hadn't yet figured out how he was going to ship his stuff across the Pacific without effectively doubling its cost. Long story short: we weren't going to buy anything, but we were going to spend a lot of time in the shop.

First, we called ahead and let them know we were coming. We figured out a day that would be relatively quiet, and settled on that When we showed up, we made sure to stay out of the way of real customers. Anything we touched, we put back. When the shop calmed down a bit, we sat around, tried out some stuff, and shot the shit, so to speak. Good times. At the end, we presented them with some beer, with the intention of leaving it as thanks for wasting their time. Hell with that, said the shopkeeps - we all went through to the stockroom and had a little afternoon sip to celebrate a pretty good day.

Edited by Law Goalie

haha did you go down to Simmons in Ft. Erie?

The guys working there were cool as shit when my friend was picking up some gear. We spent a few hours there, and they were cool about helping my friend get his gear into the states without paying CA tax and whatnot.

Reading the vending machine issues from previous posts makes me laugh.

I go to St. Cloud State and our vending machines are by the Pro Shop.

I asked the guy in the pro shop to give me some quarters and he warned me that the vending machine has a habit or stealing money. I told him I would take my chances. I go to the vending machine and it eats my quarters. I start shaking it a little bit, lightly, as to not break it. The guy pops out of the window and says, "Oh #$@% no! Did it steal your money!?" At this I thought he was angry with me (he had warned me). He comes out and TACKLES the freaking machine until it drops my Runts (yes, Runts). He then walked away.

The Pro Shop at St. Cloud State is interesting. (2 dollar mouth guards, I think I'm their biggest buyer on those.)

I get no chance to read the whole thread but have a question.

Do LHS workers hate asking many questions? (in general)

If a customer asks the right questions that show me his interest is real or he needs the knowledge to help him decide on a product, then I enjoy talking about gear. Basically, I always enjoy answering questions and providing info. I just find that if the right question is asked, I have so much info I want to share to help the guy out that I have to take a breath, collect my thoughts, and then proceed. I find one piece of info leads to another and another. Sometimes I think it can be information overload but sooner or later the right info will hit home with the customer and everything clicks. I find this happens to me when I am out shopping for something as well. Among the all info the sales guy gives me, one piece makes it all click together.

On the other hand, there is an old saying: Ask a stupid question, expect a stupid answer.

Whick leads me to another things customers do: the question from the customer is Does this blue dot sticker mean its on sale? Uh, sorry, no. It just means we counted it during inventory.

Nice read. Thanks for your input.

As I mentioned on other thread, I took my cousin and my bro to LHS. Actually, two guys were helping us out. Since they both don't know hockey as much as I do, they asked some stupid questions. I obviously wasn't there but asked the two guys, helping my cousin and bro out.

My cousin and bro later complained to me that one guy didn't really answered their question (like stick price, wondering why synergy SE is so expensive). I guess it's kind of a dumb question. I guessed since they had asked many other questions like sizing, they must have been tired.

Eventually, they only bought helments and some protectives. They told me that they won't go the same LHS because they think the LHS sucks :( .

But I'll bring them there again. Thanks again for your input.

Its another Monday morning, the first day of hockey camp. I had a frantic father with his 7 year old skater that could no longer fit in his skates from last season. We were pressed for time but I went through the fitting process and assured him we could get this done by the time camp started. The little player was fitted and relieved since his old skates were 1.5 sizes too small. There was no way he would have gotten through the first 5 minutes of camp in his old skates. I told the skater in front of the dad that if he needed help later this morning to stop back in the shop. Before he left the dad handed me a tip. It was a nice surprise.

About a month ago a father came in with his son to buy a stick and a pair of skates. i thought the kid looked fimiliar so i asked him if he ever went to the hockey school i taught and he replied with a yes so after 30-40 minutes helping them out with their gear and talking about hockey and the hockey school, i sharpen their skates and go up to the cash to ring them in, when they are about to leave the dad pulls out a 20 sheet and offered it to me, i was really surprised never been offer a tip before so for some reason i said no thanks. after they left my manager called me a dumbass for the rest of the day. I wish more customers were as greatful as that father.

If one more person(I can't call them customer since they don't shop in the pro shop) comes in with a Jofa 395 helmet/cage combo with the mask falling off and asking us to fix it, I will shoot them. "Take it back to Modell's where you bought it and have them fix it." "But I think I bought it here." "No, you didn't because I stopped selling these helmets over 6 years ago for this very reason. They fall apart and all their screws are Euro-metric.". "Oh, Modell's doesn't do that?" "A helmet and cage is like the engine and oil in your car. If you don't take care of it, the engine will stop running. If you don't take care of your helmet, it will fall apart." "Oh, but we don't own a screwdriver."

Tuesday night: "Can you help me with fitting shoulder pads, pants, and shin pads?" "Sure." "My dad wants me to get prices and then he will be in tomorrow to pick it up." "Sure." "Can I borrow your pen to write down the prices?" "Sure."

I fit him for the gear. His dad never came in Wednesday or Thursday. Thank you online pro shop fitting room service.

I love it when people come in the store and drop there kids off to go get the hair done because were beside a hair salon and expect us to take care of there kids. They think that the stores a place for kids to go and play but I love it when I ask the kids where there mom is and they say the hair salon and I take them there and give them back to there mom with the mom all confused like why cant they be in your store and were like we are not a nanny business.

Also just had to add this a customer came in and said he was going to spend thousands in the store he ended up spending 700 and he wanted unlimited sharpenings because he knows someone that works at the store

Edited by sogaduch

Tuesday night: "Can you help me with fitting shoulder pads, pants, and shin pads?" "Sure." "My dad wants me to get prices and then he will be in tomorrow to pick it up." "Sure." "Can I borrow your pen to write down the prices?" "Sure."

I fit him for the gear. His dad never came in Wednesday or Thursday. Thank you online pro shop fitting room service.

And when they have a problem with their online gear make sure you charge them accordingly, and with any skate repairs or helmet adjustments.

A guy came in the other day with skates he purchased online. The week before we spent 1/2 hr fitting them. He wanted a sharpening and heat molding. Yes sir, that'll be $45 please. Oh, and when you need a eyelet fixed, or a blade tightened, or rivet replaced, or blade straightened, you'll be charged accordingly. Oh, you have a pressure point, that'll be $15 please. Oh, your kid grew and you want a stretching, that'll be $25 please. Oh, your blade broke, yup that will be ready for you next.... Tuesday. What you say, you need it tomorrow. Oh, so sorry.

I agree.Today i spent quite a lot on the equipment i bought.Most of the money was from my insurance (with the broke in i was victim a couples months back) and i would have save a lot if i went online but i decided to pay the over priced canadian gear.

I am happy with the stuff i bought but still i think i knew a lot more then the guy serving me cause of MSH and all this years.