Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

It was the same thing as this thread. You might as well post it in here.

OK, how about the skate sharpener at the LHS who offers you a discount on a skate card if you pay him cash. Of course he doesn't ring it up on a register, so you know that money is going straight into his pocket and he isn't going to be paying taxes there either.

The posts about stolen jocks and new hockey moms reminded me of a VERY strange story a few years back.

A fairly attractive new hockey mom came into the store requesting a fitting from head to toe for her 5 yr old. We started off with all the major gear fine... until we got to the accessories.

She opted for the jock shorts for her kid, but then gives me this puzzled look and asks: "What size does my son need?" So I ask her what his waist size was, and told her that he'd likely still be in a youth size.

She then makes a cupping motion with her hand and asks "What size cup does he need?" followed by "Can you cup him down there and measure him?" :blink:

WTF?!?!?!? I thought! This is messed! I cannot believe she actually asked such a ridiculous question. I was stunned and did not reply, and she continued to repeat her question. I had to strain to contain my laughter. I just muttered.... "Errrr.....NO!!! They only come in one size" <_<

The posts about stolen jocks and new hockey moms reminded me of a VERY strange story a few years back.

A fairly attractive new hockey mom came into the store requesting a fitting from head to toe for her 5 yr old. We started off with all the major gear fine... until we got to the accessories.

She opted for the jock shorts for her kid, but then gives me this puzzled look and asks: "What size does my son need?" So I ask her what his waist size was, and told her that he'd likely still be in a youth size.

She then makes a cupping motion with her hand and asks "What size cup does he need?" followed by "Can you cup him down there and measure him?" :blink:

WTF?!?!?!? I thought! This is messed! I cannot believe she actually asked such a ridiculous question. I was stunned and did not reply, and she continued to repeat her question. I had to strain to contain my laughter. I just muttered.... "Errrr.....NO!!! They only come in one size" <_<

The correct answer is "I can tell by measuring you."

It was the same thing as this thread.  You might as well post it in here.

OK, how about the skate sharpener at the LHS who offers you a discount on a skate card if you pay him cash. Of course he doesn't ring it up on a register, so you know that money is going straight into his pocket and he isn't going to be paying taxes there either.

well you got your sharpening didn't you? <_<

The correct answer is "I can tell by measuring you.

Haha!

That's like my story when I had to teach the hockey mom how to fit her son and she put the cup on upside-down.

My girlfriend thought the same thing: I was suiting up for a game of shinny and my girlfriend looks at me and says "Is your jock upside down?" :P

The most annoying thing is people holding their skates up in the air, shaking them, and not even saying a word expecting you to know that means sharpen my skates. Me and this other guy I use to work with use to just say something along the lines of, 'I don't read minds so, if you want me to sharpen your skates your going to have to ask me.'

Yeah it was pretty rude and I kinda regret being a jerk like that, but I learned that when ever you need service, ask people politely, like they are doing you a favor, because they are, and the last they need is some rich jackass making them feel like a monkey.

The most annoying thing is people holding their skates up in the air, shaking them, and not even saying a word expecting you to know that means sharpen my skates. Me and this other guy I use to work with use to just say something along the lines of, 'I don't read minds so, if you want me to sharpen your skates your going to have to ask me.'

Yeah it was pretty rude and I kinda regret being a jerk like that, but I learned that when ever you need service, ask people politely, like they are doing you a favor, because they are, and the last they need is some rich jackass making them feel like a monkey.

thats along the same lines as people jsut standing there with skates expecting me to know what they want. JUST ASK!

In defense of the stupid skate sharpening questions most of the places I have been to, which is not many, do not sharpen while you wait, so it is a bit foreign when the person will do them while I wait. How common is the sharpen while you wait thing? Or better yet how uncommon is the leave your skates over night thing?

at my "LHS"(its not that good of a store, all low end equipment) it is at least overnight to get them sharpened. at a store an hour away from where i live, the will sharpen while u wait

been nearly 6 mo's since i worked in a shop but:

-flexing sticks doesnt bother me, people who flex sticks in the wrong direction do

-had a kid come in for a sharpening, hold his skates up, and say, "skates" to which the only logical reply was, "Yup, no argument here."

-kids who think "synergy" is a universal word for OPS' "do you have the TPS synergy, or the RBK synergy?"

"Hello (shop name) this is Buzz"

-"Youre open?"

"nope, im the 24 hour secretary"

-parents who buy their kids $189 sticks, and 49.90 skates

Some of my favorites are:

Kids who grab high end sticks and practice their slapshot on the concrete/carpet.

Parents who are overconcerned.. I sat there while my friend tried to explain that the palm of a hockey glove doesnt need to be padded to an overconcerned hockey mom.

Kids who use long cut intermediate high end sticks.. (Intermediate Synergy with a foot cut off so the kid can play with it.)

I had a mom come in and buy one of the new Jr. Synergy 350s and politely ask me to pull the rest of my 350 inventory off the floor so that nobody else would have the same stick as her kid....and she was serious.

I had a mom come in and buy one of the new Jr. Synergy 350s and politely ask me to pull the rest of my 350 inventory off the floor so that nobody else would have the same stick as her kid....and she was serious.

Did you ask what credit card she wanted to put all of the sticks on?

Ugh I hate that!

Yeah me too, and I was always less agressive about this crap thean most employees. You know how people say the workers sneeze (or worse) on your Pizza if your an asshole customer at a pizzeria? Well I'm convinced that the crossgrind wheel was invented by a disgruntled LHS worker, because I've seen the merciless fury that it can wreck in the hands of a PO'd skate tech.

Edited by XeF4

In defense of the stupid skate sharpening questions most of the places I have been to, which is not many, do not sharpen while you wait, so it is a bit foreign when the person will do them while I wait. How common is the sharpen while you wait thing? Or better yet how uncommon is the leave your skates over night thing?

I am in Michigan. Everyone will sharpen "while you wait". If you go to a bigger shop, it could be a while depending on what's on the bench at the time. I an VERY lucky and go to a guy that sharpens skates as a side business (he is a contractor by day) and was trained by the Red Wings equipment manager. He will sharpen while you wait. He has an indoor shooting range too. Radars and everything! The ONLY guy I will have touch my skates anymore besides JR. The wierd thing is is that they sharpen identically!! Here is his site (if you happen to pass through Ann Arbor, MI).

Click here for a great MI sharpening if you can't se J.R.!!!!

At Ice House we sharpen while you wait 80% of the time. Its just that with 4 rinks under 1 roof we can get backed up quickly on a Saturday or Sunday. "What do you mean its 45 minutes to wait?" "Do you see all these skates? They were here before you."

Another peeve- the coach who thinks he gets a discount because he is a coach. Sorry Charlie, no discount. Our travel coaches get paid and then they want a discount?! Fuhgeddaboudit!! This happened tonight so it reminded me to add this to the thread. The coach said "But you did it the last time." "Yeah and I caught s*&^t, too." I didn't really but hey,like I said, he gets paid to coach!!

Another peeve-  the coach who thinks he gets a discount because he is a coach. Sorry Charlie, no discount. Our travel coaches get paid and then they want a discount?! Fuhgeddaboudit!! This happened tonight so it reminded me to add this to the thread. The coach said "But you did it the last time." "Yeah and I caught s*&^t, too." I didn't really but hey,like I said, he gets paid to coach!!

Keep the receipt and make sure you use it as a tax deduction coach. Essentially every purchase is free that way.

Keep the receipt and make sure you use it as a tax deduction coach. Essentially every purchase is free that way.

Only if your marginal tax rate is 100%.

I second that .... the tax man a cometh if you haven't already dealt with him this year.