Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Can people actually pull them out? Today was the first time I saw them in person and after reading this thread I tried to pull it out just to see it but it seems to me like you would need a heatgun to get it out.

No, you can pull it out. I tried and pulled one out with a little effort.

Can people actually pull them out? Today was the first time I saw them in person and after reading this thread I tried to pull it out just to see it but it seems to me like you would need a heatgun to get it out.

Very easy for them to pop out. Honestly, I think it's a kinda retarded concept. Micro-managing grams on the end of your stick to get it "just right" is gimmicky. But that's besides the point. Customers stealing stuff is fail.

I'd just like to say thank you to all of the LHS owners that put up with guys like me. There are only 2 major hockey shops in the Cleveland area, and there's a HUGE difference between the 2 of them. One of them will ask me after every single piece of geat I look at if I'm gonna buy it. The other will work with me, answer every question I've got, show me the subtle differences between a couple of identically priced sticks or skates, and tell me flat out if something is a ripoff, or will break the first time I use it.

I can certanly sympathize with the amount of complete idiots that show up to hockey shops, and the guy that whines about the fact that there are a half hour's worth of skates to sharpen before you get to his or hers. But when a 25 year old player with 15 years of experience walks in and wants to try on 10 pairs of skates, and give 5 sticks a little push, and try on 3 brands of shoulder pads, you've got to understand that WE'RE PICKY!!! Thank you for bearing with us!

Hockey is the most expensive sport on earth, and we, as customers, are a little bit finicky about spending $220 on a stick or $500+ on skates without ever getting to skate on them, or shoot with them. All of my gear is mid-level, semi-price-point gear, and the fact is, I'm not replacing any of it until it falls apart, but I'll buy everything I can from my favorite LHS because they're very cooperative, and don't care if I buy the $60 shoulder pads, or the $110 shoulder pads. To make a long story short, If I'm about to spend $150 on a stick and you tell me that I can't give it a little push??? I'm not buying it from you!

That being said, I love my LHS, and I can certainly appreciate all of you hockey shop owners that have to put up with morons, kids, and rookie hockey-moms for 10 hours a day. It takes a lot of patience to do what you do. Sure I buy some things online, but if I can support local business in any way I'm glad to do it.

This is a take-off on the old favorite: "Do you have white friction tape?" Yesterday a customer asked for a roll of the invisible tape. I sold him clear.

Man, I feel for all you LHS guys. I've been there in a diff't industry, in a previous life.

In my former life I was a drum store manager. Everything you guys have said about hockey is true of music gear:

-They try it out in the store, get all the info from you, then order from a catalog (we didn't have internet back then).

-Kids run around messing up my displays or improper handling everything -try polishing fingerprints off 200 cymbals on a weekly basis around Xmas time.

-Kids wind up to hit a cymbal like their trying to ring the bell at a carnival test of strength contest, because that's how drums are played on MTV.

-Parents want to buy a custom $5000 drum set for their, ahem "gifted", child who only thinks he wants to play the drums.

-Equipment that mysteriously has grown legs and walked out of the store.

-Customers who think I was ripping them off because they didn't understand pricing will be diff't for catalog vs. brick & mortar stores due basic operating fundamentals.

-You guys hate funky laces, I always hated someone bringing me a snare drum saying it sounds terrible and they've duct taped the hell out of it, or even worse, they use a maxi-pad as a muffler on it (happened more than once, with diff't guys).

-Having your glove wall mixed up is akin to having the drumstick bin all mixed up. I was always finding marching sticks (lincoln log looking) mixed in with the 7A (think Tinker Toy diameter).

I'm completely new to playing hockey. I know about all the online retailers but won't use that as leverage for the guys who can spend 20 minutes explaining to me why my fat ass shouldn't be in a "starter" skate. When I bought my skates, I made the guy very aware that I don't know anything (differences between product lines) about hockey gear so I may ask dumb questions. He was totally cool and told me while we were fitting the skates that he could probably "do something" on the price for me to help get me started. I ended up buying skates & a pair of gloves that day and he even took $15 off the gloves too. He's my guy from now on.

I referee women's roller derby in Cincinnati, but my derby gear guy is in Cleveland. I could buy stuff online cheaper, but for 2 years now my guy has always given me the straight story. I can call him for a need and it'll be at my house by the end of the week. I am willing to pay for service and knowledge.

As I said, I feel for LHS guys knowing that sometimes people come in and use you as the "practice date."

And thats why I choose to buy from the internet or from MSH... the only good experience I have now is personally knowing the guy who runs the LHS now in Oz. Great guy, talks to you about gear all the time, supports the local hockey scene with incentives, and stands behind his products. If its broke, he'll take care of you for sure... If only it wasnt so darn expensive.

Is this Roger from Armoursmith?

i think yacht racing comes in slightly higher, actually.

Yeah ok, touche. I consider any team sport to be a sport, and upper level racing is definitely a team sport. You know what I mean though.

I work a small LHS in a hockey rink in Moncton, NB. We have the cheapest sticks around, but customers still insist on claiming we over price them. They go to the bigger shop in town just because its bigger to buy a stick for $40 more. For example we have the newest model One95 for $199.99 +tax. Yet customers still tell us they'll go check the other store because they'll be cheaper, where over there they sell the same stick for $239.99 +tax.

Other things that drive me nuts are people thinking were either a storage facility or a bank. I always have people coming in wanting to leave their gear until they come back 3 hours later. And people asking us to changer their $20 or $50 bills for change.

Of course have to have people complain when it takes me 10 minutes to sharpen their old rusty skates and can't forget the people who think replacement helmet screws are free, those kits arn't cheap!

People who think hockey is expensive obviously have no connection to Figure Skateing.

Competitive olympic rifle shooting, the gun alone costs $4k..

Back on topic, the holiday season hath begun. I pray for all you retailers and employees out there!

Hockey is cheap, the ice time isn't but the gear/season itself isn't that bad.

Hockey is by far my cheapest sport/hobby. It could be a lot worse for you guys :)

You guys also have to keep in mind... Team sports: Basketball - $30, Soccer Ball, shins, cleats - $100, Baseball glove, cleats, ball, bat(varies) - $200-350, Football, helmet, cleats, gloves, pants, shoulders - $500, Lacrosse - about the same as football. Hockey, Helmet (w visor or cage), shoulders, elbows, gloves, pants, shins, skates, stick(s), pucks, goal, $800 - $2,000. And that's being conservative.

You guys also have to keep in mind... Team sports: Basketball - $30, Soccer Ball, shins, cleats - $100, Baseball glove, cleats, ball, bat(varies) - $200-350, Football, helmet, cleats, gloves, pants, shoulders - $500, Lacrosse - about the same as football. Hockey, Helmet (w visor or cage), shoulders, elbows, gloves, pants, shins, skates, stick(s), pucks, goal, $800 - $2,000. And that's being conservative.

actually, you're assuming the player is getting all premium hockey gear, I got my set for around $400CDN, none second hand, only a few pieces of low-end gear

The other thing to consider is if you're not getting any bigger, the equipment costs are pretty low. Once you completely outfit yourself, it's only a matter of updating a piece here and there. It's not like you buy brand new everything very often, just sticks and gloves (well, at least that's me)

although football gear can get expensive, the more expensive parts are typically provided by the team/school. so really the only things players have to pay for are gloves and cleats(a lot of high schools even take care of that too).

hockey is the most expensive sport by far, which is why I don't understand how some shop owners can complain about people flexing sticks. Yeah, I get that you don't want people damaging sticks, but put yourself in the place of the customer. would you spend top dollar on a stick before flexing it? I know I wouldn't. unless it is a stick I have used before I usually flex it to see how it responds.

hockey is the most expensive sport by far, which is why I don't understand how some shop owners can complain about people flexing sticks. Yeah, I get that you don't want people damaging sticks, but put yourself in the place of the customer. would you spend top dollar on a stick before flexing it? I know I wouldn't. unless it is a stick I have used before I usually flex it to see how it responds.

everyone definitely gives sticks a little push, but the shop guys get pissed when people excessively flex sticks. And flexing a stick relaly has little bearing on how it will perform on the ice, you gotta look at kickpoint and flex rating first

everyone definitely gives sticks a little push, but the shop guys get pissed when people excessively flex sticks. And flexing a stick relaly has little bearing on how it will perform on the ice, you gotta look at kickpoint and flex rating first

Not neccessarily because some sticks are stiffer than there indicated flex ratings. So say I pick up a Warrior stick that says its 85 flex. Well, imo, warrior sticks are stiffer, so that 85 flex is actually closer to 90 before its cut. That makes a huge difference on the ice.

Have you ever had a customer come in and try something on and actually tell you that they are gonna buy the item online, they just wanted to check the fit?

I do that all the time. Sorry, but for something as important as feel when it comes to hockey equipment, I need to try things on first. If you want people to buy it in your store, then feel free to match the price I'll be paying online.