Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Raganblink, after reading your post, I just had a question. So is me going to 2 different local shops wrong? I'm loyal to both of them, and I've never done anything like try one of their products on in "store A" and buy it in "store B". Same with sharpening or maintenance for whatever piece I have. If I need to fix it, I bring it to the store I bought it. The only time that I've actually brought a product I never bought from them is an X:60 off recall to get a plug. Am I doing anything wrong or that might annoy them? Or would any of you shop owners consider this annoying or wrong?

Not at all. Depends on the context though. Imo its a pretty crummy thing to fit, learn from, and spend time at place a, then go buy at place b bc you like them more. But really, you either will go to one shop or the other. One is either the closest, or it is more friendly, better priced, whatev. I know very very few people in my town that would shop at both our lhs. There were a couple who went to us bc we had bauer skates, and there were others who went to us for sharpenings but got their gear there. Most of the time we've noticed that they'd just go to what one they liked better, us or them.

On a side note, I gotta love what a customer said today. He is from a town that does not have a lhs, and he got pretty Mich everything but a bucket and skates. The owner was talking to a local who was complaining we didn't have an se6 with his curve and flex left in stock. We had that same profile in an s7. He then said he'd just get off line cuz he really wants the se. Well they're not being made anymore and easton is out of stock, even though we wouldn't order one bc it he want it at the new map price. This guy overheard this convo, and was pretty pissed. Tols the guy complaining how lucky this town really has it having a lhs with this kind of stock who has stayed in this town even tho if he left Je could make a lot more money. His town lost their lhs and it sucks for them. After getting told the hit complaining about the se finally kinda got it, and bought the s7. Made my day.

I just got off the phone with Sergei from Moscow. He wanted to do a custom skate order over the phone. His English was limited, to say the least. I asked to talk with the person who kept giving him words in English. He put his wife on the phone. I had to explain to her that custom skates cannot be ordered over the phone. I would only do a custom skate order if Sergei came in to the shop so I could measure his foot. That was a first.

Raganblink, after reading your post, I just had a question. So is me going to 2 different local shops wrong? I'm loyal to both of them, and I've never done anything like try one of their products on in "store A" and buy it in "store B". Same with sharpening or maintenance for whatever piece I have. If I need to fix it, I bring it to the store I bought it. The only time that I've actually brought a product I never bought from them is an X:60 off recall to get a plug. Am I doing anything wrong or that might annoy them? Or would any of you shop owners consider this annoying or wrong?

the two stores you are likely referring to actually have a really strong relationship with each other with regards to sharing customers. they call on each other all the time to point customers in the right direction if they dont have certain items in stock. the only time they really feircely compete is for team business. two completely different strategies when it comes to sales, too.

I gotta rage...

There is a local, who visits the shop frequently. I'd say a loyal customer, he's bought numerous items in here, has a skate pass, and we see him probably once every two weeks....

Since October he has came into the shop, roughly once every two weeks, and talks to us about a pair of upper-mid skates (~300-400). He has literally tried on a dozen pairs in that range, and we have spent over 5 hours in-store time helping him. He obviously is trying on every size, width, and model variation for what we have in that price range. We talk about what separates them all etc. We finally got in our CCM 12s last week, and contact him, as the only reason he has said he didn't buy skates from us previously is b/c we didn't have them for him to try on yet. So we're figuring that after he tries those on, he'll decide what one he wants (very picky I know, but anyways)...

So a couple days after we got in contact with him, he messages us asking how late we are open this weekend, as he has a pair of skates that need to be baked and sharpened. We're thinking maybe that he was going to get the skates from us, and just didnt want to take too long of our time. Nope. Trucker comes into the shop with a pair of one80s, that have not been sharpened. The same width and size we have had in stock this whole time. Reason he didn't get them from us? We'll apparently, as he was in Saint Louis, he visited TotalHockey (our biggest competitor, really) and was trying on skates. And apparently he only paid 340 for them. But here's the kicker, if he actually visited instore, wouldn't he had got them baked and sharpened? knowing full well his LHS charges 25 bucks a pair for non-store bought bake/sharp. So he ended up spending 365 on these + tax. Still a deal in his eyes probably. But he also knows damn full well that we'd knock off some % if it meant having a 380 dollar sale or not having one. Also tax is higher in STL, so he had to spend 380-390 after tax, if he actually did get them for that price.

Sorry to write a novel. I feel realllly betrayed and angry its not even funny. If he ever does that again with anything he's never welcome back. Infact, I probably shoulda told him we're not sharpening these or baking them, and that he's never welcome back. But being the only sharpener /baker in town, he'd bad mouth us, and then someone would get the idea to get a sharpener and we'd lose a bit of business. Ohwell people get a second chance... this time.

Sorry to play devils advocate, but is it possible that he just had a "happened to be there" moment? I mean, if you made up your mind on a model, and were on a business trip or whatever, went into a store there, and just happened to see the skates you already knew you wanted for cheaper (even if not all that much cheaper after you consider bake/sharpen), and just said "well, might as well just get them here...".

My point is, is it possible that he may have not necessarily gone out of his way to buy elsewhere? (Unlike people who try in person and then go buy online).

I don't know, I think if I just happened to be there, and just happened to see the skates I wanted for less, I'd have a hard time saying "nah, ill buy them later when i get back to the shop who helped me with my sizing". I'd pull the trigger then and there.

But like I said, going out of their way specifically to not buy from you is a whole different story...

Sorry to play devils advocate, but is it possible that he just had a "happened to be there" moment? I mean, if you made up your mind on a model, and were on a business trip or whatever, went into a store there, and just happened to see the skates you already knew you wanted for cheaper (even if not all that much cheaper after you consider bake/sharpen), and just said "well, might as well just get them here...".

My point is, is it possible that he may have not necessarily gone out of his way to buy elsewhere? (Unlike people who try in person and then go buy online).

I don't know, I think if I just happened to be there, and just happened to see the skates I wanted for less, I'd have a hard time saying "nah, ill buy them later when i get back to the shop who helped me with my sizing". I'd pull the trigger then and there.

But like I said, going out of their way specifically to not buy from you is a whole different story...

Its about loyalty and being a decent person, qualities which are sadly in very short supply these days, not to mention simple logic. If you want your LHS to be there next time you need something, you have to give them business so they survive. If they suck and don't deserve to survive, fine, it happens. But when they bust their butts to help you, yeah, you owe them the decency of holding off and buying it there. Don't be a douche.

Its about loyalty and being a decent person, qualities which are sadly in very short supply these days, not to mention simple logic. If you want your LHS to be there next time you need something, you have to give them business so they survive. If they suck and don't deserve to survive, fine, it happens. But when they bust their butts to help you, yeah, you owe them the decency of holding off and buying it there. Don't be a douche.

Gotcha. I'd consider him a douche if he went out of his way to buy it elsewhere, but I'd understand if he happened to see it for a good price and pulled the trigger. I'm just trying to provide another possibility about why he did that, I'm not trying to make excuses.

Gotcha. I'd consider him a douche if he went out of his way to buy it elsewhere, but I'd understand if he happened to see it for a good price and pulled the trigger. I'm just trying to provide another possibility about why he did that, I'm not trying to make excuses.

Sure sounds like an excuse to me. You're basically saying that if he goes shopping around purely on price and deliberately f**ks his LHS, that's bad; but if he just accidentally f**ks his LHS because he stumbled upon a slightly lower price without really meaning to, well then that's ok.

Like I said, some people just don't understand loyalty, decency or what it takes to keep a valuable business in their town. I don't even own or work at an LHS; but as a business owner, I sympathize completely - BS like this is why this thread exists in the first place.

Sure sounds like an excuse to me. You're basically saying that if he goes shopping around purely on price and deliberately f**ks his LHS, that's bad; but if he just accidentally f**ks his LHS because he stumbled upon a slightly lower price without really meaning to, well then that's ok.

Like I said, some people just don't understand loyalty, decency or what it takes to keep a valuable business in their town. I don't even own or work at an LHS; but as a business owner, I sympathize completely - BS like this is why this thread exists in the first place.

Yep, I guess not. Ah well, what can ya do I guess.

Gonna pull a 180 of the direction of this thread:

I get a great deal for my friends goalie gear and it came with everything needed (except goalie pants =( ) that fits perfect except skates. So I go to my LHS that I've gone to ever since he helped me with my terrible Vapor skates. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him like gloves, my CCM 12's and sharpenings and stuff so I figure he can help me out. Turns out hes got these barely used One75 goalie skates on the used rack in my size and they fit like a glove. I see he sells them new in store for $300 so i figure crap, this is gonna cost me around 100-150ish (never bought used equip) but I need the skates so i ask how much. He looks at me asks me if I'm trading in the too small goalie skates (CCM 852 tacks) which are old but avg condition and I go yeah and he justs tells me to bake the one75's and he'll hook me up. I go to pay and with trade in, it comes to $50! Made my day.

Moral of the story kids, relationships are key :biggrin:

Sorry to play devils advocate,...

At this point all we can surmise is that you're being argumentative for the fun of it. I strongly suggest that you stop posting in this topic altogether.

Are you trying to get to 1000 posts in less than a month? When a mod says chill out on this board, he is Jesus Christ.

Blink and you miss it around here.

Moving things along, I got this variation the other day on "do you rent helmets?" "do you rent hockey sticks?" "sorry, no."

And also, after way too many years in retail, as we approach another Christmas and gift giving, for those customers who want to know on December 14, if we could order in that special gift and get it for them before Christmas, Christmas has come on the same day on the calendar for the last two thousand and ten years!!

Worked an entire shift today without a single sale, sharpening, fitting, blade or plug installation. That was fun...

On the bright side, no matter how many times I tell customers (same few every time) that I have no knowledge of the team jacket orders, they always ask me every time their kid has practice. (Every other day.) I guess the phrase "You'll have to talk to Mike" is Swahili for "Ask me tomorrow. Right before practice, and then ask again right after the practice because you forgot you all ready asked me today."

Moving things along, I got this variation the other day on "do you rent helmets?" "do you rent hockey sticks?" "sorry, no."

And also, after way too many years in retail, as we approach another Christmas and gift giving, for those customers who want to know on December 14, if we could order in that special gift and get it for them before Christmas, Christmas has come on the same day on the calendar for the last two thousand and ten years!!

Currently working in retail and have to deal with this daily. We give a two week window for shipping to our store from the warehouse or transfers from other stores in case something happens along the way so we can cover our asses. Every single day I have people bitch at me about the two week window, things like I could walk there in less than two weeks crap like that. These would be the same people knocking down the door to speak to a manager because their item wasn't here in the 3-5 days it normally takes. What do you want me to do lady? Click my heels together, rub my belly and hope that I can shit out the product that you waited til 2 weeks before Christmas to come buy a hot ticket item? I don't think so, I don't get paid nearly enough to deal with your annoying ass.... End Rant

WS,

some idiot, you know who you are, pm'ed me and thought it was valid to ask if in less than 10 days before Christmas ordering a product in was ok and not an unusual request. In my world I don't make promises I can't keep. End of my rant. Stay calm and carry on.

So I can't get custom goal pads before christmas if I order them tomorrow? Then maybe call in changes again on Monday? This time of year I am so happy to not be working in a shop

Background info... we literally have 12 pairs of vapor skates left, most being x05s in junior and youth.3 in senior, and the only pair that isn't a 11.5/12 is a 9.5 x60... were basically out of stock.

dad came in earlier today looking for vapors for his son. Exact words. he doesn't know the model, so I ask well how much were you thinking of spending. He says he wants to spend about 400. I say okay, and ask for size. He said his kid is in a 9 now but his kid says he needs to go up a size. I'm thinking perfect, I can get rid of these 60s finally. So I tell him we can knock down the 60s to 450, the price of the 50s. He says he wont spend that much. so I shoe him the u12s, which are 400. He won't get them bc they aren't vapors. So then he asks me to show him vapors in that size 9.5. I tell him that's all we have. He starts bitching us out and saying we don't understand how to run a business correctly. I explain there are new ones coming in April, but apparently, its stupid not to get rid of your stock before you have to sell them at cost or below it.... after blowing him off and saying if he had any questions just ask me, so 15 minutes later he asks me if I could order him x40s. So I look at bauerbiz and they had that size in stock, and he agrees to pay for it 320... stupid imo not to get the 60s but that's not the point. He says well, if these aren't here before Christmas I get a full refund and I'm not buying those skates. I tell him I can't guarantee delivery date, so what he does is just say f it, ill get them online since you guys can't promise they'll be here by Christmas, and that he's surprised we can stay in business not carrying vapors. Gotta love idiots. They really do make my day.

Man Ragan, that would have been one sweet deal!

My old boss at the shop I used to work at didn't give two shits about making customers happy, all he cared about was making the most money possible. We've had Warrior Kronik sticks that have been sitting on the rack for 2+ years now (they originally were $220) and he has them down to 170. You'd think he'd do whatever it took to just get them out the door and off his hands. Same thing with a ton of Nike Bauer goalie skates...I don't work there anymore, but after reading through this whole forum, I just want to shake him and say "offer people something for these skates, just get rid of them!"

DS, its already 30 for bake/sharpen. Fair imo.

JK, like Gunzo's in chicago, they'll hold onto everything without much discount, they know eventually, someone will comein and pay that price for that item. But on vapor goalie skates, unless they are 30s, I don't really see anyone not paying more than 100 bucks for them. It's smart business, if they can afford to do so, to hold onto that gear and get what they want out of it. Problem is most of us can't afford to do so, or, just dont want to dick around having that extra stock.

I'm sure if someone still had a stock of 30s or 40s, that someone would pay 450-500 bucks for a brand new pair. If people find something that is perfect for them, and they hate the improvements of the newer equipment (ala pro's preference to the same equipment, like helmets and all those repainted skates and sticks) that they'll find that gear, and pay whatever they think would be reasonable for it.

Man Ragan, that would have been one sweet deal!

My old boss at the shop I used to work at didn't give two shits about making customers happy, all he cared about was making the most money possible. We've had Warrior Kronik sticks that have been sitting on the rack for 2+ years now (they originally were $220) and he has them down to 170. You'd think he'd do whatever it took to just get them out the door and off his hands. Same thing with a ton of Nike Bauer goalie skates...I don't work there anymore, but after reading through this whole forum, I just want to shake him and say "offer people something for these skates, just get rid of them!"

dude obviously has good cash flow and can afford to keep product on the shelf at decent margin. nothing wrong with it. might suck for the staff that have to stare at these two year old sticks everyday, but what does he care? he bought them to make some money off them and thats what he's going to do. stores that need cash sell things at cost to get their money back and reinvest. either he doesn't care about keeping fresh stock on the shelves, or he has the cash to buy new stuff regardless of sell thru.

i used to have an account that would threaten his staff that he wouldnt book anything new for upcoming seasons unless they sold thru certain items and categories... and since these staff members were tech weenies and gear whores, they wanted new stuff so they pushed the units he wanted gone.

dude obviously has good cash flow and can afford to keep product on the shelf at decent margin. nothing wrong with it. might suck for the staff that have to stare at these two year old sticks everyday, but what does he care? he bought them to make some money off them and thats what he's going to do. stores that need cash sell things at cost to get their money back and reinvest. either he doesn't care about keeping fresh stock on the shelves, or he has the cash to buy new stuff regardless of sell thru.

i used to have an account that would threaten his staff that he wouldnt book anything new for upcoming seasons unless they sold thru certain items and categories... and since these staff members were tech weenies and gear whores, they wanted new stuff so they pushed the units he wanted gone.

The longer products like that sit on the shelf, the more unlikely it is to sell. No customer is walking into a shop where Vapor XXXX sticks are sitting next to X:60 sticks, only $10 cheaper and picking up the XXXX's.

The longer products like that sit on the shelf, the more unlikely it is to sell.

true.

No customer is walking into a shop where Vapor XXXX sticks are sitting next to X:60 sticks, only $10 cheaper and picking up the XXXX's.

false.

kronik is a better stick, for starters. doesnt matter though. some shops want to offer the newest, latest and greatest and need their products to turn so they can get their cash back to reinvest. some shops dont have cash in the bank to let product sit. other businesses see every unit in their store as a certain value of profit and would rather keep it on the shelf and get something out of it than blow it out for zero or negative margin. i go to a shop that has S17s sitting next to SE16s sitting next to CNTs, sitting next to X:60, sitting next to XXXX, sitting next to 0ne95 sitting next to dolomite sitting next to kronic, sitting next to 11k, sitting next to 10k, sitting next to 808, sitting next to U+ and they all sell for the same price. exact same price.

Edited by shotty