Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

forbs02

Bake Times

Trust or not, your LHS skate oven is still the best option.

how so?

IMO if I went to a local place, they only have Bauer ovens that might not get to the right temp, and they might insist on baking for 4 mins when mako is way more than that. Not to mention, they offer to bake Bauer skates before buying, so you really have no idea how many times they have already been baked.

Like I said I care way more and trust myself more than them. Keeping an eye on oven temps, being perfect about the time, and using a piece of cardboard to avoid any direct heat has given me great results on the 5+ pairs of skates I've done. No one to blame but myself if I screw up, whereas I can see them saying "Na bro don't worry about it they're fine, some plastic melting is normal".

IMO the sous vide method is dummy proof. It has to be the most consistent method of any. The water stays the exact temp you want it to be, and the skates are vacuum sealed, so they don't get wet.

How can a skate oven do a better job?

The bauer ovens get to the right temp, and they bake the skates for the amount of time suggested by the manufacturer. This isn't complex.

The bauer ovens get to the right temp, and they bake the skates for the amount of time suggested by the manufacturer. This isn't complex.

Yea.... so why not do it at home for free and get the same or possibly even better results?

What is up with this board and stubborn people set in their ways who refuse to understand why or how something works? Why is "because they said so" a good explanation? I do mostly all work on my equipment at home with the exception of skate sharpening (someday). I want to understand why things work, and end up knowing more than 90% of the kids I see working at pro shops who would have been the ones doing work on my stuff.

I thought the point of this forum is to share information and learn, but more are more I see that just isnt true.

Because skate ovens work. I don't know why you're making this so complicated. But whatever, do whatever you want.

Right, so because one way works, im gonna plug my ears and not be open to other ways, or even use an ounce of brain power to understand why it works. How do you not realize this is an extremely stupid way of going about things?

Like I said, this forum lately is worthless. Thanks for all the help.

Right, so because one way works, im gonna plug my ears and not be open to other ways, or even use an ounce of brain power to understand why it works. How do you not realize this is an extremely stupid way of going about things?

Like I said, this forum lately is worthless. Thanks for all the help.

That one way not only works, it works well, and is recommended by the manufacturer who handles any warranty issues.

Skates require warm air for a short amount of time in order to mold effectively. We are not dealing with NASA caliber tolerances here. It's a silly, convoluted idea, that MIGHT yield minimally better results, but unlikely.

Guys there's really no reason to get nasty here. Louierev07 was simply sharing an idea. Agree or disagree, but no need to use words like stupid or silly. Surely a skate oven is likely best, but some people can't or won't go that route for whatever reason. A home oven is used by many with great success, (if you use caution). Maybe sous-vide would produce safer/better results than a home oven? I don't know, but that doesn't mean the idea has no merit.

Guys there's really no reason to get nasty here. Louierev07 was simply sharing an idea. Agree or disagree, but no need to use words like stupid or silly. Surely a skate oven is likely best, but some people can't or won't go that route for whatever reason. A home oven is used by many with great success, (if you use caution). Maybe sous-vide would produce safer/better results than a home oven? I don't know, but that doesn't mean the idea has no merit.

Thank you!

I'm just trying to think of a better method to use. Where I live, even if the people at the pro shop were competent, they charge you 30-40 bucks for a bake - which is nuts.

Like I said before, I've done all my skates at home with success, but I always worry about temperature spikes and dips. For someone who is definitely gonna do their skates at home - I'm thinking that the sous vide method might be good (even though it might seem extreme to some).

People on here like to say either do it at a pro shop or get your skates messed up at home, but the other half say it's no big deal and the temp doesn't matter that much - it's not an exact science. With all the misinformation out there about home baking - im just trying to come up with a way that is safe, and will give the most consistent results.

So if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Yea, crazy us suggesting to have it done by people who know what they're doing using equipment specifically designed to do it correctly. What are we thinking!

Yea, crazy us suggesting to have it done by people who know what they're doing using equipment specifically designed to do it correctly. What are we thinking!

absolutely no logic here.

This moron is probably the same guy who had geek squad come out to "set up and optimize" his computer. Pays 100 bucks for an oil change. Can't cut his own lawn. Hires a painter every time. Can't pump his own gas. Better leave that to people who know what they're doing.

Have fun paying for everything, while people who are smart enough to use their brain actually learn how to do things and save money.

Fucking hysterical that you have a know it all attitude, while at the same time being adamant about not doing any thinking yourself.

Okay, enough...

louierev07 - if you look back at your posts, you are the only person (other than Buzz saying the word "silly" in regards to the process) who has insulted a fellow member. All of the hostility is coming from you. Just because someone doesn't share the same opinion as you doesn't mean that you have to insult them.

That "moron" you speak of actually restored this very website 2 months ago, because we did not have the knowledge and experience to do it ourselves. So, if you want to call me a moron for having OptimusReim "set up and optimize" my site, go right ahead. But when it comes to the hockey business, 15 years > 5+ skate bakes.

The skate oven is more than adequate to heat a skate correctly. But at the end of the day, you are aware that your warranty is void by home baking, right?

Okay, enough...

louierev07 - if you look back at your posts, you are the only person (other than Buzz saying the word "silly" in regards to the process) who has insulted a fellow member. All of the hostility is coming from you. Just because someone doesn't share the same opinion as you doesn't mean that you have to insult them.

That "moron" you speak of actually restored this very website 2 months ago, because we did not have the knowledge and experience to do it ourselves. So, if you want to call me a moron for having OptimusReim "set up and optimize" my site, go right ahead. But when it comes to the hockey business, 15 years > 5+ skate bakes.

The skate oven is more than adequate to heat a skate correctly. But at the end of the day, you are aware that your warranty is void by home baking, right?

So because someone restored a website makes them exempt from being close-minded and condescending? If you disagree thats fine, but provide more of a reason than "because the manufacturer said so", or "thats what has worked in the past so why strain my brain and actually think about it".

To use getting your oil changed as an example - I personally dont mind paying a few bucks for the convenience of having someone else do it. But if the only place that changes oil near you has a bunch of teenagers there that don't know how to do their job right, you bet your ass I'm gonna do it myself - even if I dont have a lift at home. "But your dealer says if you change it yourself you void the warranty" well if you do it right the dealer wont be able to tell the difference. Not to mention if the place you took it to fucks your oil change up, the dealer is gonna assume that you tried to do it yourself and then your warranty is voided anyway.

Now like I said before:

-40 bucks to get it baked locally

-idiot kids work there (won't even get a sharpening from them - why would I trust them with this?)

-baking at home has worked in the past

-not a hugely complicated or exact process

-the oven has worked OK, but I'm searching for a slightly better home solution

-sous vide is the most exact you're gonna get

-trying to find ACTUAL dangers of doing it this way

At the end of the day, tons of people are gonna do it at home, so why not try to at least find the best way to do so. (note to anyone doing this *baking at home will void your warranty - we assume no responsibility if you fuck your skates up* <--thats all you need) Again not trying to imply that sous vide is somehow better than a skate oven, or that I'm against using a skate oven, but I think it might be better than a home oven (especially since they vary from oven to oven).

And my frustration is because this forum has a few strong personalities that have the inability to at least question themselves or try to understand how something works. About a month ago this was also the case in the mako thread regarding pitch. You have people actually trying to use math and figure out the exact pitch, and then you have people that "know" what it is - that are wrong, and can't even provide an explanation of how their measurements work.

This attitude is counterintuitive for a website that should be about learning and sharing ideas. Im the kind of person that likes to learn, and wants to do everything myself. Since joining this site, Ive learned how to convert broken OPS into TPS, mount holders with t-nuts and bolts, mount roller chassis on ice boots, add HDPE to adjust pitch, and probably some other stuff I cant think of off the top of my head. When I was a kid a used to mess around with computers and electronics, and opened up PC's and xboxes and crap to fix them. I started building my own PC's when I was in 6th grade, and still continue to do so. If I had had the same attitude as some in this forum, I would have just left all that to someone else and learned nothing.

I come here because I would assume its one of the few places online that shares the same passion about understanding as I do (regarding hockey stuff). Its disheartening when people don't share the same view.

sorry i have to put this here as ive read the whole thing and i want to save everyone else the hassle.

TL:DR = Skate ovens are the best option... When this option isnt available for whatever reasons, Yes you can do it at home and there is plenty of guides here and everywhere on the internet but it voids your warranty. so be careful.

Good times...............

I will say that home convection oven is the better and more consistent option IMHO if there is no actual convection skate oven to be had.

What model skate?

Only skates you should stand (and only stand for 1 minute, no walking) are Curv-based Bauer skates, Ribcor, RBZ and Mako.

Heat without insoles, put the insole you are going to wear in the boot when you lace up.

Just sit, legs at 90º angle is fine.

The boot will have more give than normal since it's heated, so don't crank on the laces. You're going for fit there, not tightness.

If MX3, then yes, you want to stand. The sole is also Curv composite. It's exactly how I baked my MX3s 5 months ago.

Those instructions are the ones I received from Bauer R/D when the ONE95 was released. I'd think they'd know better than most.

looking to getting a pair of 190s today. When do you stand for the 1 minuet? After you first put them on?

:laugh:

That looks like a LOT hotter than 200ºF and a LOT longer than 4min! :wacko:

200ºC maybe?

And Im going on like 7 home bakes in 2 different ovens - all with great results. Im not paying 30-50 bucks to use a damn oven at a hockey shop. Fuck that.

It really was not that hard to do at home. I absolutely would NOT do it without an oven thermometer. I sat right there watching it and opening and closing the oven door to keep it around 195-200 for about 5 minutes. With a convection oven the 185 probably would have worked just fine but even with flipping the skate halfway through it wasn't getting pliable.