Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quintin

Who's seen the Stanley Cup?

I am not positive, but I read that the Stanley Cup in the HHOF is just a replica and the real one is kept somewhere else. I can't remember where but I was kind of shocked to hear that. Can anyone else confirm this ?

The "real" cup is in the vault at the HHOF, then you have the replicas. One on display at all times and one for the players, not sure if there is a third for other promotions or if they use the player cup for that.

Chadd pretty sure your right there is only 2. The one that actually shows up for the finals to be presented on the ice then that goes away back to the vault. Then they other one that the players get to take on there turns during the year.

Have to be a great job even being a repilca you have to travel to each and every place the cup goes Phil and is partners are one luckey group of guys.

I bet they have the best hockey stories ever.

Sortof on a side not I am on the team that one this Trophy in there now they dont list the one that goes with it http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/silver...abbyhoffman.htm

But the other cup that does actually has my name on it......havent seen where it is but I am assuming there beside one another.

Jeff - actually the one in the vault is the original one which is too brittle. That one is retired. The one that goes on tours is the one that is awarded. The one in the HHOF always stays there. I met Phil last year and that is what he told me.

Jeff - actually the one in the vault is the original one which is too brittle. That one is retired. The one that goes on tours is the one that is awarded. The one in the HHOF always stays there. I met Phil last year and that is what he told me.

Well I wouldnt doubt that for a sec so then there must be 3.

I do know when the rings get full they take off the top one to add a new one to the bottom.

So I would guess and say as you said JR there is the real one in the vault then the one that goes to the players and then one that goes on public tours.

Just a guess...actually someone should call and ask.

I've held it over my head.

This is one of the things I disagree with. Unless you've won it you shouldn't raise it above your heaD, IMHO. Players wait their entire lives to lift the cup and winning it is not easy. Why should just anyone be allowed to raise it over their heads?

Thats what makes it so great in my opinion. Anyone can do it.

That's what I thought. The one in the vault is just the cup without a large base on it. The other two are the ones everyone is used to seeing.

The cup was at the rink I worked at in college. People lined up to pay $5? to get their picture taken next to it, but they couldn't pick it up. Pretty funny, because the college players and the rink employees had been posing with it for pictures beforehand in the player's lounge free of charge. I got a nice picture of myself hold it up...not over my head, just holding it.

I've held it over my head.

This is one of the things I disagree with. Unless you've won it you shouldn't raise it above your heaD, IMHO. Players wait their entire lives to lift the cup and winning it is not easy. Why should just anyone be allowed to raise it over their heads?

Relax man.

Holding it over your head to see what its like is no crime. Ya, players play their whole lives to win the cup, and they earn the right to have their name on it. And they hold it over their heads in front of thousands of screaming fans.

Let your average joe hold it high if he gets a chance, and even kiss it. god knows he'll never get the chance the players do, and he'll never have his name on it. But maybe he'll get a little personal 'glory' being honoured to know what other great players have held that cup high and kissed it. If they're true hockey fans they'll appreciate being able to do it that much more. and if they dont, and they have no idea about the history, then it doesnt really matter anyway.

The chance to do so was offered to me by the player during the party of personal friends and family at his house. Being a hockey fan i wasnt going to turn down that opportunity. People were kissing it and some even poured there booze in it. All i did was raise it a few feet.

I'd have to take sides with Reaper. I think that if you dont win it you shouldnt be allowed to touch it.

That would go for anyone I think that is playing ina league were there is a chance of touching it someday. If you are in your late 20s or 30s or even a teenager that cant skate ....go right ahead and touch it that what is therefore.

However if you touch it before hand and you are trying to get to that level everyone knows that there is a "jinx" on you for doing so.

I havent touched it yet. I have seen it but havent touched it and I am only the trainer but then again as I said earlier I was lucky enough to get on another one in there so thats as close as I will get and now I can in my mind go ahead and touch it. I have worked in the AHL and have no aspirations to go to the Show as a trainer therefore no chance of touching it then.

I'd have to take sides with Reaper. I think that if you dont win it you shouldnt be allowed to touch it.

That would go for anyone I think that is playing ina league were there is a chance of touching it someday. If you are in your late 20s or 30s or even a teenager that cant skate ....go right ahead and touch it that what is therefore.

However if you touch it before hand and you are trying to get to that level everyone knows that there is a "jinx" on you for doing so.

I havent touched it yet. I have seen it but havent touched it and I am only the trainer but then again as I said earlier I was lucky enough to get on another one in there so thats as close as I will get and now I can in my mind go ahead and touch it. I have worked in the AHL and have no aspirations to go to the Show as a trainer therefore no chance of touching it then.

Yeah thats basically the same outlook that i have on the situtation also.

3 times - once when Grant Jennings brought it to Melfort, Sask. Once @ HHOF. Once when they brought it out to UBC for a promo with Labatt's.

You can see the cup in the vault right?

I'm pretty sure (unless they've changed it) that you can go into the vaulted area and see all the original tropheis, as well as the rings that have been removed from the Cup base.

Well.. who?  B)

*Raises Hand*

Seen it a number of times (refuse(d) opportunities to touch/kiss, as any serious hockey player my age should) - reading the dates/teams/names is just an amazing experience - gives me goosebumps.

I have had pictures taken with it, with my arm around it and, I kissed it..(I was young about 9 <_< )

...was told it was the real one (one on display @ HHoF isn't..things like Pocklington's dad's name being xxxx out and the "Bqston" Bruins...etc..)

The real Stanley Cup is on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame when it isn't "on tour."

Unfortunately, these days the Cup is being engraved for approximately two months of the year and has a touring schedule that takes in on the road for three solid months in the summer.

On top of that, the Cup makes appearances during the season (mostly on weekends) for about 3 months.

It's pretty much hit and miss if you're going to the Hall of Fame to see the real Cup but for your best chance at seeing it avoid October and November as it is always having work done (engraving, maintenance, etc.) during that time.

I saw it,touched it when Colorado won it in 2001, the only way I remember that is because I found a picture a month ago.

I saw it,touched it when Colorado won it in 2001, the only way I remember that is because I found a picture a month ago.

How the hell could you not remember seeing the Cup?? Christ, it was only 5 years ago.

How the hell could you not remember seeing the Cup?? Christ, it was only 5 years ago.

Have'nt ever really thought about it. My long term memory isnt the greatest also.

Seen all of them at the HHOF - however many that may be.

I've also held Scotty Bowman and Mike Keenan's Stanley Cup rings.