Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest OSTOR

Master car, truck, etc... topic

go coupe pick up some nice girls in that car, if you go with the sedan go with the nissan maxima looks 10x better and is the same car just the logo is different

You make a fair point, I'm not in love with the G37 sedan look. So, what I'm thinking now is this - either the G37 coupe or the Cadillac CTS sedan. Thoughts?

go coupe pick up some nice girls in that car, if you go with the sedan go with the nissan maxima looks 10x better and is the same car just the logo is different

You make a fair point, I'm not in love with the G37 sedan look. So, what I'm thinking now is this - either the G37 coupe or the Cadillac CTS sedan. Thoughts?

get a used CTS-V.

In response to TBL's thread that got merged, I've recently been wanting to grab an old bronco, like '66-'77 body style. I'm a truck/SUV guy and these are definitely about as beastly as they get.

Link for those who aren't familiar with what I'm talking about.

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto...00/ppuser/23780

my uncle had one of those when I was younger. such a beast

Can't go wrong with a classic Beamer.

On another topic, unless the deal falls through I might be picking up a custom interior 300ZX. God is it loud :P

Loud as in ricer loud? No thanks. Cars like that only sound good with some serious motor mods. Nothing sounds better then the deep growl of a big v8.

So I'm looking at buying a new car, its most likely going to be the Infiniti G37. Obviously the car comes in a coupe and a sedan model and I just can't make up my mind between the two for the life of me. I'm a young, single guy and will be spending the next two years going to business school, so I technically don't "need" the sedan, but at the same time I worry that the coupe may not be big enough. So let's have the opinions from everyone, and I'd really like to hear your reasoning behind the opinions as well. Thanks.

I have a 2004 sedan and it is THE best car I have EVER had.

My only advice, in addition to for sure getting into the sedan, is make SURE you get the X model that has all wheel drive.

That will give you max versatility for all season. If you eventually acquire the means to have a winter car and a summer car that its not as big of a deal but I would love to have that set-up right now.

I bought the car new when I was in Cali, but have since moved to Denver. They didn't have any in Cali, but in CO most of the G's are all wheel.

Check out this forum www.g35driver.com

There are over 83,000 members there and there is literally nothing that can be found there about the G.

Good choice!

There are over 83,000 members there and there is literally nothing that can be found there about the G.

Good choice!

it takes a lot of skill to pull off the double negative.

better luck next time.

(i kid, i kid)

So I'm looking at buying a new car, its most likely going to be the Infiniti G37. Obviously the car comes in a coupe and a sedan model and I just can't make up my mind between the two for the life of me. I'm a young, single guy and will be spending the next two years going to business school, so I technically don't "need" the sedan, but at the same time I worry that the coupe may not be big enough. So let's have the opinions from everyone, and I'd really like to hear your reasoning behind the opinions as well. Thanks.

I have a 2004 sedan and it is THE best car I have EVER had.

My only advice, in addition to for sure getting into the sedan, is make SURE you get the X model that has all wheel drive.

That will give you max versatility for all season. If you eventually acquire the means to have a winter car and a summer car that its not as big of a deal but I would love to have that set-up right now.

I bought the car new when I was in Cali, but have since moved to Denver. They didn't have any in Cali, but in CO most of the G's are all wheel.

Check out this forum www.g35driver.com

Good choice!

Thanks for the info - I'm moving to Southern Cal so I don't really need the AWD. If you're looking for another website, try www.myg37.com

the only thing 4wd helps with at a standstill is a smooth launch (limiting wheel spin), but you still need really high rpms or torque to achieve it, the latter of which 4 cyl cars dont have a lot of and the former gets old fast. yes, revving up to peak torque/hp levels and dropping the clutch and getting next to no wheel spin, then spanking the 89 crx lined up next to you might be fun the first few times, but after a while, it gets old and you start driving like a normal person... and normal people dont give a shit about 4wd unless its snowing!

old turbos take time to spool, factory installed ones are utilized for one purpose only: to eliminate exactly what i spoke of before... lack of low end torque. they aren't running at 10+ psi and dont have massive bovs.

4WD is good for a lot of things other than just taking off hard at stoplights. A properly dialed in AWD car can be much more neutral than any FWD or RWD car. FWD's tend to understeer, RWD tends to oversteer. AWD just goes.

WRX's and STi's have a tendency to understeer slightly from the factory, throw a thicker swaybar in the rear, lower it, and give it some more front camber and it makes the car much, much more neutral in the corners. Much easier to drive fast around a track than a FWD/RWD car.

the only thing 4wd helps with at a standstill is a smooth launch (limiting wheel spin), but you still need really high rpms or torque to achieve it, the latter of which 4 cyl cars dont have a lot of and the former gets old fast. yes, revving up to peak torque/hp levels and dropping the clutch and getting next to no wheel spin, then spanking the 89 crx lined up next to you might be fun the first few times, but after a while, it gets old and you start driving like a normal person... and normal people dont give a shit about 4wd unless its snowing!

old turbos take time to spool, factory installed ones are utilized for one purpose only: to eliminate exactly what i spoke of before... lack of low end torque. they aren't running at 10+ psi and dont have massive bovs.

4WD is good for a lot of things other than just taking off hard at stoplights. A properly dialed in AWD car can be much more neutral than any FWD or RWD car. FWD's tend to understeer, RWD tends to oversteer. AWD just goes.

WRX's and STi's have a tendency to understeer slightly from the factory, throw a thicker swaybar in the rear, lower it, and give it some more front camber and it makes the car much, much more neutral in the corners. Much easier to drive fast around a track than a FWD/RWD car.

i'm totally aware of that... i touched on the launching capabilities because that's where the conversation was.... i think (it was almost a month ago)

Edited by shotty

I'm looking for opinions right now on the VW Jetta, preferably in the 06-08 line-up. I've been serious car-shopping the last month and a half or so, and depending on what kind of loan I can get and how much money I can get saved up, I'm looking to pull the plug in the next few months. My mind's been set on the Jetta for a while, and I'm always seeing them on the road around here. I know about the cost of repairs and parts due to them having to be sent overseas, but does anyone here have one or know anyone who has one and what their opinion is on it? Thanks in advance.

Pretty pleased about the truck, already got 4 winter rims with a ring of chrome around the edge of all of them and a center cap, kinda look like the rims on a cop car, picked up 4 winter tires and 4 radial t/a's. Also going to have the truck painted two tone (white, gold bottom) and picking up some chrome and a full flowmaster true dual system. Gonna cost a lot, but it should be mint after that.

I'm looking for opinions right now on the VW Jetta, preferably in the 06-08 line-up. I've been serious car-shopping the last month and a half or so, and depending on what kind of loan I can get and how much money I can get saved up, I'm looking to pull the plug in the next few months. My mind's been set on the Jetta for a while, and I'm always seeing them on the road around here. I know about the cost of repairs and parts due to them having to be sent overseas, but does anyone here have one or know anyone who has one and what their opinion is on it? Thanks in advance.

Jettas are nice if youre thinking about getting one i would look for a GLI. Another car you should consider is the Mazda Rx8

My daily driver is a 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan :-D

when the going gets tough I rock the 07 Yukon Denali

and for going out it's a 2003 Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG in Tectite Gray :-D

I just bought a Civic Si 2 months ago, but not after test driving the GLI and the TDi. The GLI is basically the Jetta GTI, just a bit bigger. The TDI though has some serious balls. I'd definetly look into one of those. People are claiming 50 mpg and that thing can MOVE

My daily driver is a 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan :-D

when the going gets tough I rock the 07 Yukon Denali

and for going out it's a 2003 Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG in Tectite Gray :-D

I just bought a Civic Si 2 months ago, but not after test driving the GLI and the TDi. The GLI is basically the Jetta GTI, just a bit bigger. The TDI though has some serious balls. I'd definetly look into one of those. People are claiming 50 mpg and that thing can MOVE

My dad has been driving diesel VWs for 20+ years and has a 2009 TDI Jetta now. He is pulling down 46-48 routinely with a heavy foot in a mix of city and fast highway driving (80+ mph). And he has only about 8,000 miles on it. His experience is that mileage will improve by 10-15% after 10,000-15,000 miles once the engine breaks in. His last TDI, a 2000, had 280,000 miles on it when he sold it and is still on the road.

Whats the word on the older style monte carlo/cutlass cars? Theres a 87 monte carlo with a 350 in it fully restored with flow masters on it and mint shape for 7500, im thinking of picking it up but i was kinda curious how good cars they were? I heard they did tend to rust out a bit but thats not that bad, i wont be driving it much anyways. Just curious, they break down a lot or any problems through the years i should avoid?

Whats the word on the older style monte carlo/cutlass cars? Theres a 87 monte carlo with a 350 in it fully restored with flow masters on it and mint shape for 7500, im thinking of picking it up but i was kinda curious how good cars they were? I heard they did tend to rust out a bit but thats not that bad, i wont be driving it much anyways. Just curious, they break down a lot or any problems through the years i should avoid?

It looks like this and you want to know if we think it's a good, reliable car to be rarely driven? Why?

9348-1987-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo.jpg

Who would restore a 1987 Monte Carlo? And how is being fitted with aftermarket exhaust (and an engine?) being fully restored?

By the way, you don't need to drive a car to have it rust, so yes, rust is a problem, especially if the owner has ever taken it out on winter roads or wet roads and not properly rinsed the undercarriage off. And also especially if it's an 80's domestic.

Unless you're going to drag race it I think you're going to be sorely unhappy with the braking, shifting (if it has a period transmission), steering, seats (assuming they're not race seats), etc. You can probably get a 2002 3-door focus that is more fun to drive around town, then just dump on a turbo if you want to lay down rubber.

Just had a racer from Ames, IA win $3K for 5 rounds of racing as he took the win at Pinks Arm Drop Live. Here's a photo of Dan Richardson leaving the starting line at Cedar Falls Raceway on Saturday. I just did a new 1.80 Powerglide transmission for his BBC Chevy II which runs well into the 9's and normally he slows it to run the 9.90 NHRA Super Gas class.

Danno%20wins%20Pinks%20Arm%20Drop%20Live%20CFR.jpg

It looks like this and you want to know if we think it's a good, reliable car to be rarely driven? Why?

9348-1987-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo.jpg

Who would restore a 1987 Monte Carlo? And how is being fitted with aftermarket exhaust (and an engine?) being fully restored?

By the way, you don't need to drive a car to have it rust, so yes, rust is a problem, especially if the owner has ever taken it out on winter roads or wet roads and not properly rinsed the undercarriage off. And also especially if it's an 80's domestic.

Unless you're going to drag race it I think you're going to be sorely unhappy with the braking, shifting (if it has a period transmission), steering, seats (assuming they're not race seats), etc. You can probably get a 2002 3-door focus that is more fun to drive around town, then just dump on a turbo if you want to lay down rubber.

Im actually looking at a 87 cutlass supreme, it has dual flow masters and a 350, american racing rims and its mint. I want one because there actually fun cars, 350's have decent power and there rear wheel drive, i cant see how a focus would be any more fun. I want a rear wheel drive v8 and most of whats available is limited to a grand marquis/crown vic or an old caprice, is all anyone drives around here. Gas money isnt a huge issue, i wont be driving a lot ive just always been a fan of the monte carlo/cutlass/grand national styled cars, my grand father had one briefly and since then i loved them.

Im actually looking at a 87 cutlass supreme, it has dual flow masters and a 350, american racing rims and its mint. I want one because there actually fun cars, 350's have decent power and there rear wheel drive, i cant see how a focus would be any more fun. I want a rear wheel drive v8 and most of whats available is limited to a grand marquis/crown vic or an old caprice, is all anyone drives around here. Gas money isnt a huge issue, i wont be driving a lot ive just always been a fan of the monte carlo/cutlass/grand national styled cars, my grand father had one briefly and since then i loved them.

OK, it has a 350 block, exhaust, rims, and what else? Headers, carbs, timing, and what bolted onto the block? New rear end? New transmission? How many miles on the current engine, how many on everything else, how many owners has it had, and what sort of life has it had?

What do you intend to do with it besides "rarely drive it"? If you want it for the drag strip and doing donuts, well then go ahead. If you want to cruise around blowing up skirts with a V8 exhaust note, then by all means get it. If you intend to do some "spirited" driving that includes turning, look somewhere else for fun. A 5-year old Accord will be more fun in the corners. The 80's were a bad time for American cars that didn't race in NASCAR. The breaks will fade quickly, especially if the car has extra weight from a beefed up drivetrain. A stock tranny and shaft will most likely not like the drop-in power, not a whole lot of cars can just take a bigger engine without other work being done. I don't know if this is one, you need to do your research.

You said it's mint, but in what way? It shines in the light and has no visible damage, so it must be good. The body needs to be checked for damage, repairs, etc.

You're also not going to be getting any of today's safety features. No airbags, probably no ABS, maybe 3-point belts.

I only mentioned the Focus because an 80's car will not drive like anything today. It will have lots of body roll, understeer, vague steering, slow shifts, long stopping distances, etc.

Edited by Rustpot

I fully understand and agree with a big deal of what you just said and in all honesty your probably right, buying an 80's car wouldn't be as fun as a modern car, but in reality what choices do i have for modern v8's? I cant really spend more then $8000 on a vehicle and theres not very many cars around here with v8's in them or similar power in my price range that i have seen for sale. I always loved the monte carlos since the days where my grandfather had one and took me out in it. It was so fun going around town with it and it was just a cool car plain and simple. I really would just want a car that lays down some strips of rubber and has a bit of power, turning isnt a big deal seeing as its not going to be driven on many turns and what not, mostly straight stretches anyways. The only 'muscle' cars i see around in my price range are mustangs, monte carlos, firebirds and an impala ss.

I will always love driving with a big v8, nothing beats it. My grandfather always owned them, my father always had them and there just something i really enjoy. Sure they dont have a lot of modern technology but as far as laying down strips of rubber and driving fast goes, there fun. I woudlnt mind driving an accord or something of that nature though with a v6 either, its really a tough call. Something i really want vs something i know will be a good reliable car for years to come.

Edited by Leafsrule16