Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

RBK 9k O-Tech Stick (pics added by JR)

i want to do that stick

umm.... I like the stick too, but...

Has his earlier question been answered?

is the 9k0 a grip stick

"21.5%" more areodynamic. come on. do areodynamics matter on a hockey stick? they are thin enough so that they don't have a lot of resistance.

Unless someone has some test data to prove real results, this sounds like a nice marketing job.

Ah, jimmy, we have had this same argument all over MSH… so I’m not all that interested in dragging this out yet again. Obviously they DO have test data… I believe I have previously explained the legalities of advertising and how a claim such as 21.5% is not possible without proof. A test demonstrating the improvement in aerodynamics is not difficult or complex to establish.

Where I would believe you and I agree is this: As puck speed is predicated by how fast you can move your stick I would say more people can increase their personal performance by working on their form and technique and getting in better shape.

Stick speed is only one factor and I don't believe it is the most important one.

Can't it be said for every product on the market today though? Seriously skates get lighter every season, sticks get lighter and the fundamentals are basically the same. Of course its a marketing campaign. Anyone with common sense would realize that even a 21% gain in windspeed won't change your game dramatically. But of course they aren't marketing to people with common sense. They want this stick to be sold to people who want the newest product.. Warrior sticks are a perfect example.

So yeah, it does have a proven 21% decrease in wind resistance, its not very important to the performance of a hockey stick but it sounds important and therefor will sell.

Most people see holes in the stick and think its going to be less durable but its the complete oppposite. RBK could get into the math of arches as oppossed to a hollow shaft but nobody cares. They see 21% decrease in wind resistance and think oh boy that must be good.

My take on the situation.

it's probably about right with the % of wind resistance... but that's such a small amount considering the amount of drag a hockey stick has. You'd never notice it and if you say you do notice it, you're lying.

it's probably about right with the % of wind resistance... but that's such a small amount considering the amount of drag a hockey stick has. You'd never notice it and if you say you do notice it, you're lying.

Regardless of the wind resistance claims, I think it's main benefit will be the an even lighter weight stick, and perhaps as some suggested it will be even more durable... we'll see. I'm really curious how the feel will be on a stick with holes in it...

What amazes me is that consumers constantly ask for a lighter stick every season, but what thay dont realize is that at a certain point the sticks are not going to have enough swing weight to propel the puck. For example, if you have a wood broomstick, and you try to hit a baseball off of it, chances are it wont go very far unless youre Mark McGwire all roided up. I am glad that composites have came out, since wood was ridicilously heavy, but IMO sticks right now are actually becoming too light for my tastes...

Regardless of the wind resistance claims, I think it's main benefit will be the an even lighter weight stick, and perhaps as some suggested it will be even more durable... we'll see. I'm really curious how the feel will be on a stick with holes in it...

The other night during the Wings/Coyotes game the announcer asked Datsyuk about the stick and he said it was a much stiffer feel. Stiffness isn't bad though, it'll be more durable and lighter weight, sounds like a good payoff unless you like a really whippy stick.

The other night during the Wings/Coyotes game the announcer asked Datsyuk about the stick and he said it was a much stiffer feel. Stiffness isn't bad though, it'll be more durable and lighter weight, sounds like a good payoff unless you like a really whippy stick.

The holes don't make it lighter and it didn't feel any lighter than a lot of other sticks on the market.

The holes don't make it lighter and it didn't feel any lighter than a lot of other sticks on the market.

How can the holes not make it lighter? If you added the material where the holes are that would add weight to the stick, it's just logical. More material = more weight. I've never felt one, so I'm not saying it would be lighter than any other stick, but you can't debate it's lighter than if it had holes. Not sure if that's even a plus, but it's got to be true

300 grams? I very much doubt it. Where did you hear this?

I can't imagine it being much lighter. Yes, there are holes, but the areas around said holes are reinforced by material (where other sticks would be hollow). I could be wrong, though. I guess we'll just have to wait a couple more months, eh?

How can the holes not make it lighter? If you added the material where the holes are that would add weight to the stick, it's just logical. More material = more weight. I've never felt one, so I'm not saying it would be lighter than any other stick, but you can't debate it's lighter than if it had holes. Not sure if that's even a plus, but it's got to be true

The material removed to make the holes is replaced by the material that now connects the sides inside the hole. Any weight reduction is not from the holes, but is from more traditional methods of saving weight.

The material removed to make the holes is replaced by the material that now connects the sides inside the hole. Any weight reduction is not from the holes, but is from more traditional methods of saving weight.

I haven't seen it, I'll just wait to check it out, in the meantime I'll take your word for it. I haven't had good experiences with RBK stuff anyway, and I'm sure this will be way overpriced.

"21.5%" more areodynamic. come on. do areodynamics matter on a hockey stick? they are thin enough so that they don't have a lot of resistance.

Unless someone has some test data to prove real results, this sounds like a nice marketing job.

Ah, jimmy, we have had this same argument all over MSH… so I’m not all that interested in dragging this out yet again. Obviously they DO have test data… I believe I have previously explained the legalities of advertising and how a claim such as 21.5% is not possible without proof. A test demonstrating the improvement in aerodynamics is not difficult or complex to establish.

Where I would believe you and I agree is this: As puck speed is predicated by how fast you can move your stick I would say more people can increase their personal performance by working on their form and technique and getting in better shape.

Again, missed my point.. which was while the shaft drag may have been reduced 21.5%, how does this play out in "actual" shot velocity. True, the manufacturer is not lying in advertising, but a hockey shaft does not have a lot of drag anyway, so by reducing it 21.5%, does that really produce significantly different shot speed results, or even measurable results? Those are the tests I'd like to see, not wind tunnel tests. Simply demonstrating improved aerodynamics does not make the case.

The stronger design allows for less materials which might help reduce weight. But you're correct because the extra material to fill the sides of the holes will add to the weight lost.

Isn't the 9k 300 grams?

It better not be. If it is it will be way too light. Personally i cant stand sticks that feel like nothing in your hands (CNT stealths). Like Thockey said it better score goals for you at that price

Isn't the 9k 300 grams?

It better not be. If it is it will be way too light. Personally i cant stand sticks that feel like nothing in your hands (CNT stealths). Like Thockey said it better score goals for you at that price

Its probably not, one of the Fox announces mentioned it was 300 grams while he was holding Datsyuk's. You're right though, that would be ridiculously light. I wonder if in the future people will think our composites are ridiculously heavy :lol:

Isn't the 9k 300 grams?

Its probably not, one of the Fox announces mentioned it was 300 grams while he was holding Datsyuk's. You're right though, that would be ridiculously light. I wonder if in the future people will think our composites are ridiculously heavy :lol:

Fox announcers? i didnt think fox did hockey games. Well you had better hope this guy didnt know what he was talking about.

Isn't the 9k 300 grams?

He means FSN Detroit.

It is not 300 g.

Fox announcers? i didnt think fox did hockey games. Well you had better hope this guy didnt know what he was talking about.

FSN = Fox Sports Net. It was a Phoenix announcer and he acted like he was breaking the news that Dats was using the 9k.

FSN = Fox Sports Net. It was a Phoenix announcer and he acted like he was breaking the news that Dats was using the 9k.

just got the price....

just like the Warrior Kronik a senior stick is $239.99 USD

IMO way too much for just a hockey stick. and it looks like it only has a 30-day LTD. Warranty

Unless you have never seen a Stealth, this price point is nothing new. Mission will also be hitting this price point in 2007. Lets all give NBH a round of applause for not going to this price point with the ONE90 OPS. They easily could have and the stick still would have sold. Every OPS has a 30 day warranty only also. Unfortunately, if you want the technology, you have to pay for it.