Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arrows91

New York City

Where in NYC are you staying?

What do you want to see (i.e. a wrong turn on your way to a Yankee's game could be a surprise)?

Overall most of Manhattan is safe and has a lot to see. Let me know what you might be interested in and I can point you in the right direction/show you around.

I might suggest Chelsea Piers (Manhattan's sport's complex) where me and my fellow NYC Modsquader's play hockey.

I'm going in August so this will be great for me too. I'm staying in Manhatten if that helps. What is the pricing like in most sports stores there?

Just don't go to times square or herald square. There are some fantastic restaurants in the city, check them out. Don't find yourself eating something you can eat at home. Try to check out a new part of the city each day. Many people don't realize how many little neighborhoods there are in the city that are just so polar opposite of one another.

Because it's often hard/expensive for me and my wife to go home for christmas, we usually do new york (4 times now, 5th this year) for 3/4 days over christmas.

It's the best time to be in the city. First, the hotels are a lot cheaper, because most people go home to family, not on vacation at christmas. We stayed at the plaza, the crowne plaza, the inter-continental at times square, for as cheap as we have stayed at the Milford when we went up other times.

Central Park is great, and we usually do Christmas dinner at tavern on the green (although it's open year round, and a good spot to go).

Take in a show, we saw cat on a hot tin roof with Ashley Judd, Jason Patric, Ned Beatty etc.

I love new york, just missed out on the Isles/Rags on boxing day last year, pity

Wear a hat- last time I was there a pigeon shit on my head. I washed my hair in the sink of a Dunkin Donuts.

I don't like New York.

I was there in Feb '98...sadly, I didn't do enough touristy stuff. We did Empire (AWESOME VIEW!). I still have the ticket stub in my wallet.

WTC Pic from Empire (Feb '98) <--- I posted this in a 9/11 thread last Sept.

Went through Central Park in horse carriage...that was cool. We were going to do Liberty, but like dummies we didn't check and assumed it would be open late...I guess it closed to tourists at 6:00? Were they still doing reno/restoration on her then???

Had I known...and had the cash...Our hotel was RIGHT across the street from MSG and the Leafs were in town on the Thursday we landed (Thurs-Sun trip). The Knicks played the Lakers on the Sunday afternoon...almost hit a Baldwin as our Cab was leaving for LaGuardia. *L*

Went to a little jazz/blues club in Grenwich Village (I think)....and we had lunch at a Sport Bars...Is there a place called Mickey Mantle's right near CP?. I remember that the memorabilia was AWESOME. Details overall, are hard to remember...it was a real fast weekend, with very little planning *L*

I won the trip (flight/hotel) from a company I worked for that previous school year...and I was RIGHT out of College with no money at all...so we did the trip really really cheap.

I'd like to go back now that I have a little more coin to make it a better trip.

What do you want to see (i.e. a wrong turn on your way to a Yankee's game could be a surprise)?

Overall most of Manhattan is safe and has a lot to see. Let me know what you might be interested in and I can point you in the right direction/show you around.

I might suggest Chelsea Piers (Manhattan's sport's complex) where me and my fellow NYC Modsquader's play hockey.

what night do you play?

as to the OP, museums are top notch, as is shopping, plenty to choose from, all depends on you.

Coney Island and stop at Totonno's for pizza

Le Bernardin(Manhattan). Top rated for a reason. Food is out of this world. It doesnt come close to cheap though.

WoHop in China town then to Ferrara's for desert.

Cant go wrong visiting Yankee Stadium, MSG, WTC, and the Statue of Liberty.

SoHo for shopping

what night do you play?

as to the OP, museums are top notch, as is shopping, plenty to choose from, all depends on you.

I am not playing any nights right now. I just had shoulder surgery in May (SLAP repair), and will be out of commission until October/November. Given my work schedule I plan on playing in D6 & D7 (Friday and/or Saturday nights).

How about you?

Oh and if you want a really great view try the Top of The Rock at Rockefeller Centre. The best time to go up to the Empire State building is after midnight (no lines).

I remember when I wanted to visit the Statue of LIberty, they had a triangular route from Manhattan to the Statue to Ellis Island. I didn't care about Eliis Island, because I had no idea what it was, but they made us get off anyway.

Wow, was I glad they did! That place was almost haunting with photos of all the people who had emigrated to the US around the turn of the last century. You could see looks of hope, fear and dispair in their eyes. A very moving exhibit.

If I am not mistaken, you can't even go into the Statue anymore. You are limited to the pedestal.

I missed my opportunity to walk up to the Crown, which you used to be able to do.

That's right JR.

You can't take tours of the NY Stock exchange or the Mercantile exchange anymore either...which is a shame because the mercantile exchange is a lot of fun to see in person (Trading Places captured the spirit pretty well).

One thing I that has been pointed out and I want to emphasize, is that you can still get good cheap food in NYC; but you have to venture out of the tourist traps (Times Square etc.)

right in times sq u can get .99 pizza, .99 hot dogs, and some other very cheap food. Is it appetizing? I leave that up to you

That's right JR.

You can't take tours of the NY Stock exchange or the Mercantile exchange anymore either...which is a shame because the mercantile exchange is a lot of fun to see in person (Trading Places captured the spirit pretty well).

"We're gonna KILL them mo'fos...we gonna kill 'em!"

the espn zone is in times square, too bad you weren't there today, Getzlaf and the Cup were there. I luckily got a chance to stop by and see Lord Stanley's Cup and meet Ryan too, good times.