Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RWhockey

Nike/Bauer ONE95/ONE75 Skates

This question is based the stiffness of skates in general, but also in relation specifically to the Supreme line of skates.

I'm very interested in the one95/one75 skates but wont be getting them until closer to the end of the year when I'll be in America/Canada. Just wanted some info in advance on the stiffness of these skates. First of all, can a skate being too stiff be restrictive to a player's skating ability, or is it more of a comfort thing?

The reason I ask is that some people have been saying they have overcome any stiffness issues by unlacing the top eyelet, making the forward flex in these skates excellent. How effective is this really, and what problems are associated with skates being 'too' stiff laterally in terms of restricting skating mechanics?

I currently skate in Nike Quest 2's (second top of the line skate when released) but these are the only ice skates I have ever used as I've mostly played inline hockey. I don't really know how stiff these skates are in relation to current skates on the market as I have nothing to compare them to, but i think they are softening up a little too much/beginning to break down. I've always thought it a good idea to get one level down from the top skate (ie. one75) as it seems more suitable in terms of required stiffness, but since these are basically last years top skate (one90s) is there really that much of a difference in stiffness? I'm not keen to go further down the lineup due to other different skate specs. How comparable is the stiffness of old Quest 2's to todays skates?

Sorry for the long post and several questions, any help or general input on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

i'll try to help a little., a skate can be to stiff for an individual and hinder your ability. unlacing the top eyelet does help many people aswell. since a super stiff skate doesnt flex much forward by unlacing the top or top two eyelets you can get more knee bend in. i also think the quest 2's are much softer and heavier than any higher end skate today. you definately need to try on all the skates you can when you get here to see what suits you

Thanks for that, i assumed that would be the case. But if forward flex is not a problem as a result of different lacing techniques, what is the downside of having skates that are really stiff in terms of lateral flex?

It seems like regardless of what skate I go to it's going to be much stiffer than what I'm used just because of the development of skates since the Quest line was released, so it's going to be hard to tell when trying them on if the skate is too stiff, or just stiffer than what i'm used to.

In regards to the stiffness questions I'll give you my opinion from my own experience.

Yes there is such thing as a skate being too stiff and effecting your skating ability. The one95 is probably the stiffest skate on the market right now. I own a pair my self and what I noticed is that skating forward the stiffness on the skates allows you to get very good push off and return out of your push off, but making turns and cross-overs is a little harder with stiff skates because the skate does not give inn because its so stiff.

The thing with the one95's is that they are a lower cut boot that gives you a little more mobility which you would not have if you for example had a classic cut boot with the same stiffness as the one95.

Another thing is the material used on the one95s does not break inn with wear, such as leather would, the stiffness remains the same (the skates get more comfy tho). I really had troubles with the stiffness of the one95's but now I feel more comfortable. I personally don't believe in the whole unlacing the top eyelet idea, because I've tried it and I felt really weird on the skates, I would say I felt a bit wobbly (because its already a lower cut boot) and just not right, what I do is when I lace them is i flex forward a bit and tie them while flexing forward (not too much tho), this give you a little more mobility on the top which makes a big difference if you find the skates too stiff.

There is no doubt that the one95 is the best fitting skate I've owned tho. And the quality is pretty impressive, these look like they can last a really long time. If you like the skate its really money well spent.

P.S. I just got a pair of XXXX's recently to if a less stiffer boot will make a difference in my skating.

P.S. I just got a pair of XXXX's recently to if a less stiffer boot will make a difference in my skating.

if XXXX are less stiff I guess I can't even imagine then how stiff One95 could be...

coming off 1500C after spending few weeks in XXXX I couldn't adjust to their stiffness

I got S15 last week - they are a LOT less stiff & feel so nice that I'm not even going to look any further (at least until they fall apart, which considering reviews here might be soon :))

I think the key to stiffness is that it needs to be in the right places, otherwise if the whole boot is like a brick then that's definitely no good at least in my opinion.

mattopiela - thank you very much for the in depth response. I appreciate the time taken to explain it in detail. I'm thinking of going with something far better than what I have at the moment but might look to something such as the s15/s11 or ccm lineup as a progression into stiffer skates, considering what i'm coming from. Still have two years before the end of the one95 line haha.

Just another thing, when pushing off, at the moment it feels like with every push there is give in the force being placed on the ice (as in with each push my skate slides a bit instead of really digging in). This even happens when my skates are freshly sharpened and I dont have a very shallow hollow, so is this a sign that my boots are flexing too much and are becoming too parallel to the ice to really dig in as a result? Any other signs that a skate isn't stiff enough?

if XXXX are less stiff I guess I can't even imagine then how stiff One95 could be...

coming off 1500C after spending few weeks in XXXX I couldn't adjust to their stiffness

I got S15 last week - they are a LOT less stiff & feel so nice that I'm not even going to look any further (at least until they fall apart, which considering reviews here might be soon :))

I think the key to stiffness is that it needs to be in the right places, otherwise if the whole boot is like a brick then that's definitely no good at least in my opinion.

The S15 and XXXX are not the same fit anyways. So, they would have been uncomfortable since the XXXXs have less volume and narrower.

Just another thing, when pushing off, at the moment it feels like with every push there is give in the force being placed on the ice (as in with each push my skate slides a bit instead of really digging in). This even happens when my skates are freshly sharpened and I dont have a very shallow hollow, so is this a sign that my boots are flexing too much and are becoming too parallel to the ice to really dig in as a result? Any other signs that a skate isn't stiff enough?

Had the exact same problem...I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure the soft boot was the problem, but getting considerably stiffer skates (one95's) made the problem go away. I tried very deep hollows (1/4, 5/16) as well, to no avail. Now I'm at a 9/16 and working my up because the stiffness keeps my foot planted.

I have both the XXXX and one95. They are roughly as stiff as eachother... but the depth allows for easier flex in the one95s. One of the benefits of a better fitting skate.

I have both the XXXX and one95. They are roughly as stiff as eachother... but the depth allows for easier flex in the one95s. One of the benefits of a better fitting skate.

I haven't skated in the XXXXs but the XXXs were not too hard to break in--did NBH change the stiffness in the XXXX ?

anybody able to comprae either of these to the 9K? i have a feeling, that due to my growth spurt, recently (grew 4 inches in 5 months) my skates mite be to small... so im thinking that I might change it up a bit...

mattopiela - thank you very much for the in depth response. I appreciate the time taken to explain it in detail. I'm thinking of going with something far better than what I have at the moment but might look to something such as the s15/s11 or ccm lineup as a progression into stiffer skates, considering what i'm coming from. Still have two years before the end of the one95 line haha.

You that would be your boot being too soft, I had the same problem back in the day when I had a pair of worn inn quest 2 skates.

On the topic of S15's, they are stiff at all the right places, the skate is very responsive and very comfy, but the durability is horrible, thats why I gave up on them. Yes, I have a pair of those too, now my bro uses them, and I must of spend more money on glue then the skates. If they fix the durability issues, I would say overall it was the best fitting and preforming skate I've had.

anybody able to comprae either of these to the 9K? i have a feeling, that due to my growth spurt, recently (grew 4 inches in 5 months) my skates mite be to small... so im thinking that I might change it up a bit...

Depends which 9k, the 2008 model is a bit lower cut then previous years model. The 2008 model is very nice and much improved over last years. From what I've heard last years 9k's are like tanks, hardly any give in the skate so its really not for everyone. There are people that swear by them and others who can't stand them.

anyone have the material at the top of the tongue starting to fall appart? I think it might be because I tuck the tongue under my shins but fuzzy material is starting to peel off and reveal the material underneath

the shop i work at doesnt stock the one75

i remember reading in this thread that the fit of the one95 and 75 are slightly different, is the one75 more shallow than the one95 which i found was a really deep fitting skate?

i remember reading in this thread that the fit of the one95 and 75 are slightly different, is the one75 more shallow than the one95 which i found was a really deep fitting skate?

Maybe your thinking of the Supreme 70, as the One90 was not deep fitting at all. Extremely shallow.

Maybe your thinking of the Supreme 70, as the One90 was not deep fitting at all. Extremely shallow.

sorry maybe a bit of confusion here. i meant to ask if the one75 was as deep as the one95. that might have been lost in my poorly constructed sentence.

Got a pair of One75's as a grad gift from my gf today! Finally got some new skates after 3.5 years with my Bauer 6000's. They fit like a dream. Can't wait to skate on them.

quick question guys. im gunna buy a pair of one90's or one75's next week and cant decide which. there both the same price right now. but the one90 used to be 600 compared to the 400 for the one75. is the one90 better quality? and i want the most durable of the two. thats the main concern for me

quick question guys. im gunna buy a pair of one90's or one75's next week and cant decide which. there both the same price right now. but the one90 used to be 600 compared to the 400 for the one75. is the one90 better quality? and i want the most durable of the two. thats the main concern for me

They are pretty much the same skate. I'm pretty sure the only difference is that the One75's don't have the longer runner, and the One90's aren't as deep as the One70's.

I was at my LHS the other day and the one95's on the wall were my size so I decided to try them on. I just slipped them on, didn't tie them, and I had quite a bit of pain in the heel/ankle area where the foam is in the ankles. Did anyone else experience this? Would baking take away the pain in that area? Otherwise, I found them to be a great skate and very comfortable.