Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

It's good quality steel, but that doesn't mean it won't break when you block shots with it. I have had multiple steels break over the years, and ever time it has been the result of a hard shot hitting it.

That's pretty odd...generally steel doesn't do that unless there is a defect, like a micro fracture or an impurity got into that batch of steel or overheating the steel.

I like sets of Step that I have. I get a lot better feel out on the ice.

All stainless steel can break from the low quality steel to the best quality. Stainless is just not strong like carbon. Some things can accellerate breakage, like blocking shots, loose runners, to tight runners, jumping over boards, and overheating to name a few. It's the price we pay to avoid rusting. If steel has a defect from poor Chinese manufacturing or raw materials, it would break rather quickly after first usage.

I know this topic has been covered before, but I thought I would include some pics of stock LS2.1 steel and Step Steel XL.

I switched from Vapor X5.0's to the One100's because the X5's didn't fit me well and the One100's came down in price when Bauer launched their new line. The One100's fit perfect but as many have noted here, they put me "on my heels" compared to the Vapors. After reading a ton on here I decided to get profiled steel rather than heel lifts. The main reason was the fact that I do not have access to a LHS in the area other than Play-It-Again Sports. I also discovered No Icing Sports and decided to give them a try. I contacted Bob and he reviewed my skater profile and recommended an 8/12 combo radius, moderate pitch and FBV. The new profile puts me back on the balls of my feet and I feel much more comfortable than I was with the stock profile. Bob was awesome to work with and I had the new steel Two days after ordering.

Here is a pic of the stock steel and Step Steel.

img4320w.jpg

Here is a pic of the stock profile on the LS2.1 compared to the custom profile on the step steel.

img4323y.jpg

Overall I am extremely happy with the new setup. I'm going to send off my stock steel for the same profile.

i too loved the difference when making the switch to step. Even on the stock step radius, there's a lot more forward lean than the LS2.1 and promotes more knee bend rather than lean back... at least for me it did.

my LS2 step steel also put me in more forward pitch rather than neutral. don't like it at first time for having trouble in gliding on one foot. But, now i like it.

There is an online retailer (based in Canada) that is advertising Step TI-SS steel. Cost: 101.99.

PM me if you want the link. I just placed an order for a pair, but the order has not yet been confirmed. Will update this thread w/ pics when I get them...

I skated on Mission Pitch 3s on my Kor Shift 1 & 2 skates. I tried to switch to Grafs. The difference in the quality of steel was so noticeable, that I have a pair of brand new Grafs sitting in my closet. Realizing just how important high quality steel is I got a set of Step Velocity steel for my sons's CCM CLs. I was concerned about the weight as the blade felt almost like it weighed as much one of his skates.

He's currently in a camp where the last hour of the day is all small area games. I had the new steel put in during their off ice session and had them sharpened with a regular hollow. He is 11 playing Peewee AA and skates 4-5 days a week, regular practice, power skating, games etc.

As I was loading his gear into the Jeep I asked him what he thought of the new steel. He just looked at me and smiled from ear to ear and didn't say a word.

Pretty much sums it up.

Edited by hunterphfr

Step has 3 new products they’re introducing for the 2012, Titanium (gold color) and Carbon (black) coated steel as well as their long a waited Ti-SS (fusion style) blades. They have been working on these products for a while now, and are trying to make sure that there no production issues with them and that they will be of the same high standards as their current offerings. I have been lucky enough to be able to test both the Titanium coated steel and the Ti-SS which I just received yesterday.

The Titanium nitride is applied with the same process as the black colour DLC (diamond like carbon) coating. Titanium nitride is an extremely hard ceramic base material, with a low coefficient of friction and because of these characteristics it is the preferred coating for metal cutting tools.

I been skating the Titanium coated blades since the end of May and I found them to have similar characteristics to their Blackedge counterparts, but even better bite and less drag, which IMO is really saying something. I’m hoping to get a proper review for the coated steel on MSH in the next week or so.

stepsteel.jpg

Titanium nitride is a great coating, been used on drill bits for years. Only problem, once sharpened, the advantage is lost. I like the idea of a tough outer coating on the side of blades as this will toughen the edges and help reduce nicking. I look forward to them being released as well.

i've read this entire thread, and its filled with a great wealth of knowledge from people who have been using step. I had a set of regular Step Steel LS2 version on my totals and immediately noticed that the heel was very high. Almost to the point where i questioned whether or not it was designed this way, or that it was designed to be profiled.I had a hard time adjusting to what appeared to be a bigger radius and had them profiled to a stock LS2 radius (9') I've I"ve since moved on, to RBK 20K's with TUUK Lightspeed2 holders, and wanted to get some step steel. My question is,

1) does anybody know the stock radius of the step steel for LS2, or even LS2.1 versions? Because with the elongated heel part it would appear to have a bigger radius than 9'.

2) do any of you skate on the stock profile/radius? or do the majority have your profile contoured to shorten the heel and get to within a 9'-10' radius?

Reason for asking is i actually liked how the radius of my blade on the EPRO holders felt (i believe its a 10), and wondering if Step has something like that out of the box, or would my best bet be to have a stock pair profiled to 10'.

Thanks in advance!!

tyson_two = when there is a number put on a "radius," it is to name the working radius of the blade.

It is a 9' working radius. As you said in your post, it was designed to be profiled, so that is why there is more material on the heel and toe. But the radius of the blade is the same. If you want to match the heel and toe radii of your stock blade, that would have to be done manually.

There are 3 radius on a runner, all different. As JR said, the working radius is what most think as the factory radius. The toe and heel radius are different and different from manufacturer to manufacturer. With Steps, indeed the heel radius is larger than a stock radius. On the other hand, the RBK steel hase a 10' working radius but a shorter heel and toe radius, hence the 'Proformance" naming. If you like the STEPs, just have your sharpener match them manually to the radius you like. Many prefer the flatter heel as they get more power speed in heel turns, others like you may not like it. That's the beauty of profiling, the possible mods are endless to get the performance you want.

Step has 3 new products they’re introducing for the 2012, Titanium (gold color)

The Titanium nitride is applied with the same process as the black colour DLC (diamond like carbon) coating. Titanium nitride is an extremely hard ceramic base material, with a low coefficient of friction and because of these characteristics it is the preferred coating for metal cutting tools.

So where and when can I get the titanium blades? Will they be released in Jr sizes?

Thanks!

So where and when can I get the titanium blades? Will they be released in Jr sizes?

Thanks!

My distributor is saying they will have them from STEP in 4-6 weeks. They are going to be released in phases by brand, etc. So Bauers first, then the others will follow at later dates.. I didn't ask about the juniors but it likely the smaller sizes will come later. I'll have to check on that one.

Both the Titanium Nitride and diamond coated versions will be approx the same cost. Since these coatings are going to be applied over their VELOCITY steel, the price is going to be fairly higher. I'm guessing they will sell for approx $160-$180 a pair.

I was sent two pairs of the Titanium Nitride blades to get into the hands (feet?) of some capable testers. Both are *claiming* a noticeable difference in terms of glide, but like most things I think it will take a bit more widespread use to really say.

They sharpen up nice and smooth, but no surprise there given the steel that is underneath the coating.

Come to think of it, the OP should be able to offer his opinion when I get him his pair next week...you reading this JJ? :tongue:

Edited by EvilPepe

My father is a metallurgist and has access to very high powermicroscopes, so I had my brother (who works at a local hockey shop) grab some broken step steel and just some stock Bauer LS2 steel. When examined, both were not only the same quality steel, but even came from the same company. They're are both the same steel, one just has a polished finish on it. Not worth the extra money.

I'll play along. How do you account for the fact that a very significant population of people see a difference in how their edges feel? What about those of us who sharpen thousands of skates every year who will attest to the difference? Or that if you asked someone at Bauer about Step there is a good chance they might feign ignorance while glaring daggers at you (yes, seen this happen :p)?

I'm not here to argue, I'm just here to lay down the facts. It also depends which model of step steel you have, but I'm just telling you what I have seen. It could be just like the power balance bracelets. The company drills it into your head that this product will make you more balanced while in reality its just a sticker. Could be the same deal or hey, maybe I'm just plain wrong. Either way you have your opinion and I'll have mine.

I'm not here to argue, I'm just here to lay down the facts. It also depends which model of step steel you have, but I'm just telling you what I have seen. It could be just like the power balance bracelets. The company drills it into your head that this product will make you more balanced while in reality its just a sticker. Could be the same deal or hey, maybe I'm just plain wrong. Either way you have your opinion and I'll have mine.

There is a difference between facts and opinions. It sounds like you are confusing them, as well as the issue.

Im about to make the switch from reebok to bauer supreme, and have been reading about the different pitch of the two brands. I've become very comfortable on my reeboks but they are simply falling apart due to lack of stiffness. When the new Bauers arrive, I dont want to suffer through a harsh transition phase if at all possible. I'm considering step steel after reading through this thread as some seem to think it is more forward pitch as opposed to LS2.1. Just wondering if people think its worth buying Step for this reason, or is it really not that big of a deal and I'll get used to the pitch of LS2.1 quickly?? I skate with a fairly deep knee bend compared to most people if that makes a difference. Also, if I were to go down the Step route, what is the stock profile on them??