Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

NHL fashion police?

I'm starting to not like him, the camera is always on him despite where the puck is. Every Pens game I've seen is just the announcers talking about him non-stop.

Yeah, logic dictates that you not like a person because a network and a league decide to cover him so much. He probably did have a meeting with the director of the broadcast so they could set up an iso cam on him.

This never happens in other sports, I mean the NFL never talks about Tom Brady too much or MLB doesn't blab about A-Rod all the time.... :rolleyes:

All star players have the focus on them, Malkin gets his share as well. Any broadcast is going to talk about the stars far more than the 4th line center. People are so thin skinned these days.

Having one person forced on you results in some resentment from fans.

Certainly doesn't stop it. Half my team wore our pants unzipped. The only thing the refs would whine about at the beginning of the season would be the zippers and velcro being a "safety hazard". Easily fixed with tape over the velcro and removal of the zippers. No one tore their pants though. Just those with zippers did this, including myself. I've never been penalized for it, on a state level or national level. Kind of similar to the removal of stickers on a helmet. The majority of teams do this, and it's all over the country. No one will ever, ever call that rule into play, because it is totally ridiculous.

I really never knew about this rule and I play with the zipper undone very often. What's the justification they use for the rule? Zipper could stab someone? Velcro could get two people stuck together permanently?

Cutting/unzipping the inner legs is also a safety issue. I always forget the coach that outlawed that practice for his skaters a couple of years back.

It's also against USA Hockey rules

Certainly doesn't stop it. Half my team wore our pants unzipped. The only thing the refs would whine about at the beginning of the season would be the zippers and velcro being a "safety hazard". Easily fixed with tape over the velcro and removal of the zippers. No one tore their pants though. Just those with zippers did this, including myself. I've never been penalized for it, on a state level or national level. Kind of similar to the removal of stickers on a helmet. The majority of teams do this, and it's all over the country. No one will ever, ever call that rule into play, because it is totally ridiculous.

It is enforced by Hockey Canada. I've heard of teams coming over from the US who had to zip up.

+1

(Sr. Womens)

Every time I have played in Canada I have been told to zip or get booted from the game.

The NHL is a $2 billion corporation that is trying to protect its image. Maybe some of the decisions seem nitpicky, but they're just taking a cue from the retail industry, where the same logo, fonts and colors are used throughout a store. It's really no different -- it's all about protecting the brand.

(And if you say, "Well, Wal-Mart allows their employees to wear whatever shirt they want underneath their vest," I'm sure Wally's would prefer having their employees wear a uniform, but it would be too expensive for them to buy 3 shirts for each employee, particularly given their turnover.)

Why would you have your zippers undone?

Better leg movement, more ventilation. I forgot to zip mine in a drop-in session once, it felt too weird and I promptly zipped them back up.

A guy I skate with had the zippers on his Easton pants tear out and he tapes the legs shut to play in lieu of just leaving them open.

I really never knew about this rule and I play with the zipper undone very often. What's the justification they use for the rule? Zipper could stab someone? Velcro could get two people stuck together permanently?

Exposed skin, and the padding shifts with movement.

Zippers were made for you to put your pants on after you lace up your skates.

CCM got it right with the "window" that comes on all of their zipped pants. It's extra nylon - so if you unzip, it is all covered up.

That tucked in jersey thing is a really stupid rule and almost immpossible to enforce. Just from regular movement the jersey gets stuck in the pants, esspecially if the jersey is a bit short. Are players going to get fined for getting hit and having the jersey getting into the pants.

Gary Bettman has lost touch with his players, fans and hockey history. He's copying ever other league and not staying true to the sport. Hockey is a niche sport and the people that love it, really love it. The NHL doesn't give a shit about the hockey fans that grew up, watching, playing and loving hockey just in order to get the people who can't tell the difference between a suacer pass and a shot on goal to watch a game.

This is the man that thought putting a blue light on the puck was a great idea. nuff said.

I don't know who's worse, Gary Bettman or President Bush. Truthfully if Bush was the NHL commish, even he couldn't screw up the NHL as bad as Bettman. I wish Bettman a worse life than the bully that picked in me in elementary school.

This is the man that thought putting a blue light on the puck was a great idea. nuff said.

1. That wasn't Bettman, that was Fox.

2. The glow on the puck was a great idea for new viewers and along the boards, the rocket tail was the bad part.

2. The glow on the puck was a great idea for new viewers and along the boards, the rocket tail was the bad part.

i agree, i think that is what the nhl is missing.. everyone here might know what is going on in the game.. but if you are watching a hockey game for the first time, how the hell do you know what is going on, you cant see the puck.. hockey is a great game, and they want the sport to grow.. bring back the glowing puck..

i personally hated all the glowing, but I did enjoy being able to look up at the score bug and see how fast a slapper went.

]

Exposed skin, and the padding shifts with movement.

Zippers were made for you to put your pants on after you lace up your skates.

CCM got it right with the "window" that comes on all of their zipped pants. It's extra nylon - so if you unzip, it is all covered up.

I did't want my team wearing their pants unzipped so before I issued them I melted the zipper one inch up from the bottom. This was done after an agreement with the coaches and athletic training staff that we didn't want the inside of the player's legs exposed.

I can't skate without my pants unzipped. Well I can, but it's very uncomfortable. I lvoe the freeze and it feels as it i'm not as "restrained".

If hockey pants "restrain" you, it's time to hit the gym and do some squats.

i agree, i think that is what the nhl is missing.. everyone here might know what is going on in the game.. but if you are watching a hockey game for the first time, how the hell do you know what is going on, you cant see the puck.. hockey is a great game, and they want the sport to grow.. bring back the glowing puck..

i dont think there is quite as much of a need for a "glowing puck" if they would just start broadcasting more games in high def. it obviously looks better and makes it easier to follow the play, but hey at least with the glowing puck they were trying to make improvements.

i dont think there is quite as much of a need for a "glowing puck" if they would just start broadcasting more games in high def. it obviously looks better and makes it easier to follow the play, but hey at least with the glowing puck they were trying to make improvements.

It would help if cable operators were required to offer the center ice package in HD.

I did't want my team wearing their pants unzipped so before I issued them I melted the zipper one inch up from the bottom. This was done after an agreement with the coaches and athletic training staff that we didn't want the inside of the player's legs exposed.

What about the players who unzip to get their pants on after their skates? I cut the inside of my pants with my skate when I forgot to unzip them.

What about the players who unzip to get their pants on after their skates? I cut the inside of my pants with my skate when I forgot to unzip them.

No one here does that. Pants first, then skates.

Well it would help if the goddam Bud Light game summary didn't cover 1/2 the visible ice surface on my screen! Holy cow I get HD so I'm able to see crap, then Vs decides "hey let's put a HUGE focking box on screen DURING play"

Why do they need to mess with the dress code, hockey players wear more equipment than anyone else, head to toe. That's why they should have options about what they wear. If they try and mess with that, they should really make crosby take off his really stupid looking pads on his Rbk shirt.

Why do they need to mess with the dress code, hockey players wear more equipment than anyone else, head to toe. That's why they should have options about what they wear. If they try and mess with that, they should really make crosby take off his really stupid looking pads on his Rbk shirt.

Sid, RBK and the NHL have this nice little 3-way going. There is nothing that he does (esopecially associated with RBK) that will be asked to change.