Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Nike/Bauer 9500 Helmet Initial Thoughts

Hah, I just picked up a caged 8500 for a hundred bucks today; while the 9500 looks awesome / better, I do not know if it is worth the extra $70. Anyone have one yet? Also, do the depths (top to bottom) of the NBH helmets ever change? Thanks,

The 9500 looks like a great helmet. I've got my heart set on a the new Easton helmet though. Just bought the 8500 on sale not less than a year ago and I absolutely love the fit and the comfort and I'm very happy with it. I might change my mind though because I've been hearing about the sweat issues with the Easton helmet. Is it only the S-9 that you tend to sweat so much in J.R. or the S-17 as well?

Yeah but you haven't worn EVERY helmet. Intake smokes it.

Easton product manager said that they corrected it - I should be getting a replacement S9 in a month so we will see if it works.

I took a hairdryer and blew it on my head wearing 9500, Intake and S9. That's the order from best to worst in terms of letting air into the helmet.

Decided to take the helmet apart to get a better understanding - found some pretty cool stuff.

950011.jpg

Yes, that IS carbon fibre.

Looks like it could make a decent bike helmet *L*

Easton product manager said that they corrected it - I should be getting a replacement S9 in a month so we will see if it works.

I took a hairdryer and blew it on my head wearing 9500, Intake and S9. That's the order from best to worst in terms of letting air into the helmet.

Hey JR, where would you say this stands in relation to an RBK 8k. like where would you put it in the three?

Touche, that's why I didn't say it was the best helmet overall. Just the best I've used(HT2, 652, 692, carbster, 8k).

To keep all updated:

JR and I have been discussing this topic for a while. We're not sure whether the different results are from fit, the hair difference(he's bald, I'm not), or whether mine is a newer model.

just got my 9500 cage today and put it on my 4500 helmet...Both cage and helmet are size large but the cage is waaay too wide for the helmet. Why is this? I bend the cage to squeeze it into the clips on each side of the helmet but then there is a pulling force on the clips that pulls my helmet wider and makes it not fit.

Should I try to permanently bend the cage so that it is not so wide and can fit in the two clips better?

Touche, that's why I didn't say it was the best helmet overall. Just the best I've used(HT2, 652, 692, carbster, 8k).

To keep all updated:

JR and I have been discussing this topic for a while. We're not sure whether the different results are from fit, the hair difference(he's bald, I'm not), or whether mine is a newer model.

None of those have good airflow, it's no wonder that the S9 is the best you've used.

I tried on on of those 9500 helmets last week at WestWood Sports. A size "M" fits me nicely and they're light feeling

First skate went very well -

Had no problems with sweat at all, didn't have to wipe the visor once or fiddle with it. In fact, my head got cold. Perfect.

I had to adjust it once to make it a bit smaller, but I really like the feel of it.

Switched helmets during the game (I gave my friend my Intake so I wore it for a couple of shifts) and while the Intake handles ventilation well, it was pretty close. The 9500 felt a bit cooler.

if i wear a medium 8500 will a medium 9500 fit?

Not 100% sure. I wear a M 8500 (essentially maxed out in regards to the size settings) and the M 9500 felt tighter and less comfortable (especially gel padding on the inside) when set the same (although I did not play around with it long enough perhaps). If I got a 9500 I would almost consider the L over the M as I'm right on the border of sizes being a 7 1/4 or 7 3/8 (I forget which). I would recommend trying one on and seeing what you think. 8500 was Bauer's "best", but I still think it is. I also like the medium better because it is less material not being used and therefore less material overall and inherently lighter, albeit not by much. Paragon by Union Square has 9500s in stock to try on if you want - although helmet only is $150 so I'd go see One Stop Hockey Shop for some better pricing. Later,

You guys probably haven't had them long enough but can anyone tell me how the epoxy holds on the gel inserts, because I have NBH helmet that has gel inserts (I don't know what kind) and they fal out and I have to reaply the epoxy.

Wore it last night again - now this one was going to be tricky, because we were playing on the Pro rink this time.

The Olympic rink is better ventilated because it's more open (it has seating), whereas the pro rink is smaller (has a balcony) and no seating. I've always had fogging issues on this rink. (The S9 didn't fog but still had sweat issues on both sheets as I played a game on both using that helmet).

No problems with the 9500 - even though I sweated more due to the lack of airflow. On the Olympic I didn't have to wipe down my face, as I had to last night on the Pro rink.

n682500254_1517019_1389.jpg

n682500254_1517021_1989.jpg

n682500254_1517024_2995.jpg