Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

"Comic Book" Movies: Info & Rumors

Would you classify yourself or the people you spoke with about Green Lantern as comic book fans? I've occasionally read reviews about some of the superhero movies in which the critic complained about a scene, yet it came straight from 60 years of canon. It would be like saying they couldn't accept Rapunzel letting her hair grow so long.

It has a 26% rating on rotten tomatoes. So the majority of critics panned the hell out of the movie. While Thor received 78% and I believe xmen is at 88%. I will go see Green Lantern but have heard it is terrible. The biggest complaint i heard was that it was like watching a bad video game and the dialogue was so bad it felt like it was mocking itself at times.

I find that surprising. I went in expecting it to be bad because the first trailer looked hokey, but I ended up thinking it was the best of the three comic book movies this year.

I find that surprising. I went in expecting it to be bad because the first trailer looked hokey, but I ended up thinking it was the best of the three comic book movies this year.

Well, hopefully I will be in the same boat as you. That recently happened to me with I am Number Four.

It has a 26% rating on rotten tomatoes. So the majority of critics panned the hell out of the movie. While Thor received 78% and I believe xmen is at 88%. I will go see Green Lantern but have heard it is terrible as well. The biggest complaint i heard was that it was like watching a bad video game and the dialogue was so bad it felt like it was mocking itself at times.

If I selected movies based solely on what the critics thought then I would have missed out on plenty of fun movies over the years.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/caddyshack/reviews/?type=top_critics

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stripes/reviews/?type=top_critics

It has a 26% rating on rotten tomatoes. So the majority of critics panned the hell out of the movie. While Thor received 78% and I believe xmen is at 88%. I will go see Green Lantern but have heard it is terrible as well. The biggest complaint i heard was that it was like watching a bad video game and the dialogue was so bad it felt like it was mocking itself at times.

The same could be said about every comic book movie that they've ever made. Comic books aren't classic literature, they're fun and escapist entertainment for kids.

Oooh, them's fighting words, Chadd!

I'd say most comic books fans don't like it when the books are written for kids and would also state that the reason so many comic book movies failed is the directors didn't realize this, so they camped it up to appeal to kids. Sure, it's a fantasy world where people have powers, but we want mature themes or concepts. A great comic book is similar to a great movie, in that you find yourself wondering what you would do if faced with a similar moral quandary. In fact, one thing I've noticed over the last 7-10 years is the majority of comic books are written exactly like a movie. The only "narration" is to tell where and when the scene is; otherwise, all the story is told through dialogue. A guy named Brian Michael Bendis does a great job with that.

If I selected movies based solely on what the critics thought then I would have missed out on plenty of fun movies over the years.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/caddyshack/reviews/?type=top_critics

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stripes/reviews/?type=top_critics

You realize you put up two movies with really high scores. On the site they consider anything over 60% a fresh score.

And Chadd I agree! I will see it, but I still heard it was terrible. I usually save judgement until I see a movie, but I never thought the previews looked all that impressive for a movie that cost $300,000,000.00 to make.

Did you forget to read what the critics said of those two movies? Kind of the point of the post.

I was basing your quote off of your quote of mine. Apparently you missed my point. Easy to do, but my point was I do not necessarily read what they say. But when something gets such a low score, that is essentially saying 26% of the critics out there give the movie less than a 60%. That is a pretty overwhelming consensus. You posted two movies that are considered two classic comedies. I just was not sure what your point was. Every movie will have critics and people saying it was not any good. I mean I can find people who will say True Grit was terrible or that the Dark Knight was boring. This is why I do not read what they have to say. But when lets say 20% of hundreds if not thousands of people pan a movie it is usually a good indicator of what is to follow. Have you seen The Green Lantern? SInce that was what I was referring to in the first place. I am going to give it a go. Hopefully I will enjoy it and I probably will. I will let you know, as far as

Like anything, movie reviewers will ride a wave. If it becomes the "in thing" to bash a movie or genre, they will get on board with the bashing. Picking apart big budget movies that aren't sure fire blockbusters has been an easy way to make a living as a movie critic for a long time.

Like anything, movie reviewers will ride a wave. If it becomes the "in thing" to bash a movie or genre, they will get on board with the bashing. Picking apart big budget movies that aren't sure fire blockbusters has been an easy way to make a living as a movie critic for a long time.

very, very true. That is why I will still see the movie and I hope it will be good. Just not going into it expecting the best movie of the summer. Maybe I will be surprised like i was with I am Number Four.

Just saw Green Lantern...

Best word to describe how I feel about it - "bleh". While I've been a fan of comics for awhile, I was never a big Green Lantern fan, and I had a hard time trying to imagine how it would translate to the screen. I don't think it was terrible, but it was little more than setup for a future movie.

And while I agree with Jason's (or his friend's) point that the character needs to grow during the course of the film for the audience to form a bond, I don't think we really saw that much growth in this film (I thought Thor did a much better job here).

What I'm afraid of is DC/Warner Brothers getting into an arms race with Marvel/Disney to create a superfranchise out of Justice Leauge and The Avengers, respectively. If that happens (already has?) I think we will be seeing more movies like this.

Just got back from seeing Green Lantern. very impressed! I loved it. Was better than Thor IMO (and I loved the thor comics, even named my cat thor :biggrin: ) But came away very pleased with the whole Green Lantern movie, start to finish.

I still have not seen it, but four more friends all who love comics and comic based movies have seen it and the best review has been it would be worth a rent. I keep hearing the story is bad and that they could have put more effort into it. I will go tomorrow. We have a $5.00 deal all day tuesday at the theatre near my house.

BUT ON A GOOD NOTE!!! Officially going to be a sequel for it.

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/06/27/green-lantern-sequel-is-a-go/?_r=true

No surprise there.

I love the comment "After generally establishing itself as the comic book disappointment of the Summer and as it still struggles to break even on its insano $200M budget, it looks like Warner Bros. is brushing that dirt off their shoulders and giving the green light to a 'Green Lantern' sequel anyway. If 'Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer' and 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' were any indication, making a sequel might not be the best idea to restore this franchise's good name"

yikes

Just got back from seeing Green Lantern. It was much better than I expected although the first five minutes had me wondering. The special effects were amazing. I am glad I saw it in 2d though. I also want to say that Ryan Reynolds was actually good for the movie. All in all the acting was better and the story was better than X-men First Class, but I still think Thor was better. Not so much better, but I enjoyed it more. I will see the sequel. It was good fun!

Saw Captain America on Wednesday. THey did a solid job of staying faithful to the character while bringing him to the big screen. Plenty of action, it doesn't drag, even when developing Steve Rogers, some laughs here or there, a little camp. All-in-all a solid job by Marvel Studios. Plenty of Easter Eggs in this one. Stay after the credits. General consensus amongst the Marvel folk seems to be that this is their best one yet.

Saw Captain America on Wednesday. THey did a solid job of staying faithful to the character while bringing him to the big screen. Plenty of action, it doesn't drag, even when developing Steve Rogers, some laughs here or there, a little camp. All-in-all a solid job by Marvel Studios. Plenty of Easter Eggs in this one. Stay after the credits. General consensus amongst the Marvel folk seems to be that this is their best one yet.

I'm about to see this in 3d in a couple of hours. 1040am EST. I watched Dark of the Moon in 3d and they had trailers for Capt. America in 3d and it kicked ass.

EDIT: Just saw Capt. America. I have to say it's the best comic book movie, including Transformers, this summer!!!

A few of us tried to go see it tonight, but it turns out movies arrive later in New Zealand. We had seen the billboard for it, but it isn't at the theater yet.

Has anyone else seen The Avengers "trailer," or whatever you want to call it, after the credits in Captain America? I saw yesterday while at work and I have to say, Inwas not impressed. Just a lot of random jumping around in it. I get the concept of a teaser, but I think they did a really poor job on this one.