Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolfpack_1986

College Football Fans?

Love College Football

Especially love that the Big Ten has SUCKED collectively as a conference for a looong time now and will continue to suck. Seriously.... Pollsters and the rest of the world have finally caught on to how overhyped and overexposed the Big Ten consistently is. Outside of MU (who has not been good and will not be good for a while) and OSU, there are no consistently good teams in the entire conference.... sure PSU has had a decent run the lat few years..... but if you look at the quality of the rest of the programs, it;s a miracle they are even getting three or fout bowl bids.

Sure everyone loves the tradition of the Big Ten, but I for one am so very happy that the world woke up and realized that they cannot expect the same coverage, adoration, bowl picks etc, simply for just being the Big Ten.

SEC is hands down the toughest conference to play in.

BIG 12 is also very competitive the last half decade.

I hate college football, but a conference with two of the top ten teams hardly sucks. Then again it's all a popularity contest because good teams rarely play against each other, there's too much danger in scheduling actual competition.

Ohio State #6, Penn State #8/#9 depending on the poll.

I would put Penn State at #4 in the Big 10 since 2000

Ohio State (cant seem to win the big game)

Michigan (downward spiral)

Iowa (3 ten win seasons since 20002)

Penn State (been uncharacteristically inconsistent)

Wisconsin (will drop down list by end of year)

Purdue

Michigan State (up and down)

Minnesota (have been down since Mason was fired)

Northwestern (been tough to beat as of late)

Illinois (ONE good season)

Indiana

Did either of these teams recruit on the defensive side of the ball?

I assume you're talking about FSU-Miami..I'm sure they do, but they havent been getting the front 7 studs like they've had in the past.

The Seminoles do not seem to have the dominant DEs and LBs they had 10 yrs ago. The same goes for Miami. Some good speed on the field, but no dominant players on the defensive side of the ball.

Miami has speedy WRs, but no one like Andre Johnson out there. Time will tell I suppose.. I do think Bowden needs to retire at the end of the season and hand the reins over to Fisher

Those were the preseason rankings for this year.

Yeah, PSU will be tough due to their stout defense and running game. Their RB should finish as 1st team All Big 10...I'm iffy on Clark though. He's not a next level QB, but he's an excellent college QB who will have to make do without the best WR corps PSU has ever fielded. Those guys were impressive, and they probably would have been even better with an experienced QB who could have stretched the field with his arm. (Someone like Devlin) I can see why he left

Is the K/P on Miami: a)retarded b)crippled c)not playing.

All of the above...

Squib kicks are stupid..If your k/o team cannot kick it deep and be counted to maintain their lanes and keep FSU from running it back at a crucial point in the game, then you deserve to lose

All Shannon did was give FSU the ball on the 50

Yeah, PSU will be tough due to their stout defense and running game.

Not playing much competition helps as well.

Probably not, but this seems to be a good year for PSU to schedule Rutgers..they're down this year

They do have Ohio State and Iowa at home this year I believe..They could win or lose both..we'll see

Hopefully the Big10 starts recruiting better QBs, this has been the difference in the last few years for them..

Playing a young QB (Pryor) and playing stiffs (Boeckman) has hurt OSU in big games

Pryor's inexperience hurt them against PSU last season and against Texas..

Boeckman was the difference vs LSU and USC (he sucked)

All of the above...

Squib kicks are stupid..If your k/o team cannot kick it deep and be counted to maintain their lanes and keep FSU from running it back at a crucial point in the game, then you deserve to lose

Not to mention Reid moved up to receive the squib. Bosher should've bombed it deep.

Regardless, I'm very happy with the result.

All of the above...

I gotta agree with that, leave the squib kicks in high school ball.

Not really. BYU is a well-coached top 25 team and the Sooners lost their star QB. QB play can make or break a football season, as FSU and Miami fans about that.

To all the toothless yokels (Sooner fans) clamoring for Stoops head, STFU. He's taken you further than any other coach has w/o cheating and put you in at least 3 BCS championship games. Especially at a school where most players have to be imported due to the small population of Oklahoma. (most notably Texas)

They were hardly in control of the game prior to the starter going down. I didn't think they were going to get blown away like some were predicting, but didn't really see them taking it. On any given Saturday I guess.

Iowa may struggle with Stanzi being a bit inconsistent at QB. Plus losing their RB's. But hopefully we'll have another surprise in store for Penn State like last season.

I'm iffy on Clark though. He's not a next level QB, but he's an excellent college QB who will have to make do without the best WR corps PSU has ever fielded.

I actualy watched some of the game today, Clark is the weak link, not the WRs. Those guys pulled in some wild passes and turned them into big gains. Any team that force Clark to move his feet most of the game has a good chance to win.

mich v notre dame was a great game. i liked the way tate force(sp) brought mich back for the win with under 2 mins left. i think mich is going to suprise alot of people this year. for those of you who don't know force(sp) is a true freshman, as is denard robinson. although robinson has yet to throw a pass, but man can he run.

here is are highlights of msu v cmu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIEh1PGDqQY

Wow, Central beat State. Loss for words...

Big difference between CMU and MSU..QB play which is everything in college football

That big drop in the end zone early on didnt help either.

I'm iffy on Clark though. He's not a next level QB, but he's an excellent college QB who will have to make do without the best WR corps PSU has ever fielded.

I actualy watched some of the game today, Clark is the weak link, not the WRs. Those guys pulled in some wild passes and turned them into big gains. Any team that force Clark to move his feet most of the game has a good chance to win.

Yeah, he's got small hands and is not a great passer by any means. He's a load to handle when he gets running downfield, but like I said before, he's definitely not a next-level QB. He was the weak link in their loss to Iowa last season too. He's not throw the deep outs needed to stretch a good zone coverage, but he manages the game well enough to please Paterno. Paterno seems to have a fascination with dual threat QBs, but his best QBs have been strong armed guys like Blackledge or Kerry Collins. I can see why Devlin transferred.

Ok, I always thought Clark was weak, but you have to wonder if he was on the take today. Took the points and made a few bucks though, easiest money I've made in a long time.

Guess we have Penn State's number, huh? I was surprised to see how the game played out but not unhappy with the outcome. And to think our local college (UNI) only lost to Iowa by 1 point... and should've won but had a pair of field goals blocked in succession at the very end of the game. Like they say in my other favorite sport of drag racing; you don't race engine dyno numbers, you race down the track. Amazing, but I think Iowa will have a rough road ahead with thier away games coming up.

Michigan proved their for real with a gutsy win yesterday. Defense was iffy, but Tate Forcier refused to lose and played an amazing 4th quarter.

I wish MSU would show up once or twice. The better they play, the better our (CMU) win against them looks. if they lose 6 games no one will care that one of them was against CMU.

Guess we have Penn State's number, huh? I was surprised to see how the game played out but not unhappy with the outcome. And to think our local college (UNI) only lost to Iowa by 1 point... and should've won but had a pair of field goals blocked in succession at the very end of the game. Like they say in my other favorite sport of drag racing; you don't race engine dyno numbers, you race down the track. Amazing, but I think Iowa will have a rough road ahead with thier away games coming up.

If it's a close game Paterno will get involved in the play calling and that's a great way to ensure a loss.

If it's a close game Paterno will get involved in the play calling and that's a great way to ensure a loss.

Yep, they are a much better team than last night showed. I'd be willing to bet they come out blazing next week. It'll be strange to watch them play when Paterno finally retires. Kind of like last season was strange watching Rodgers play quarterback for the Packers.

Paterno is a great coach and they came out guns blazing, but the OL could not stand up to the pressure of Iowa's DL and Clark got happy feet again..If PSU can find a decent passer for next season, they should be tough again. The OL needs to continue to gel and improve. PSU lost a ton of talent offensively from 2008, especially at WR and OL. Bowman and Lee should be fixtures in the NFL for a long time, I've always been impressed with the play of Bowman. Odrick should get a chance to make an NFL roster too. Iowa returns just about everyone from this year's team in 2010. They lose maybe one starter on defense and two guys on the OL which seems to be their deepest position thus far.

Michigan proved their for real with a gutsy win yesterday. Defense was iffy, but Tate Forcier refused to lose and played an amazing 4th quarter.

I wish MSU would show up once or twice. The better they play, the better our (CMU) win against them looks. if they lose 6 games no one will care that one of them was against CMU.

Michigan will have their ups and downs against teams like OSU, Iowa and Penn State due to the youth of their QBs. The same goes for MSU, the Spartans lost a few good players from last year. You do not replace a guy like Javon Ringer easily. The Big 10's biggest problem across the board is not speed...they've got plenty of that, but weak QB play, which really hampers the creativity and effectiveness of Big 10 offenses. Boeckman just killed OSU against USC last year, and the Buckeyes were a different team in the end last season vs Texas. They should have beaten Texas, even though the Buckeyes were one dimensional due to having a very raw QB at the helm.

Indiana should have beaten Michigan, but shot themselves in the foot with poor execution and slow QB play in the red zone. Indiana's QB simply cannot play against a blitz. He's very slow in moving away from the rush and making decisions, unlike Kellen Lewis.

Paterno is a great coach and they came out guns blazing, but the OL could not stand up to the pressure of Iowa's DL and Clark got happy feet again..If PSU can find a decent passer for next season, they should be tough again. The OL needs to continue to gel and improve. PSU lost a ton of talent offensively from 2008, especially at WR and OL. Bowman and Lee should be fixtures in the NFL for a long time, I've always been impressed with the play of Bowman. Odrick should get a chance to make an NFL roster too. Iowa returns just about everyone from this year's team in 2010. They lose maybe one starter on defense and two guys on the OL which seems to be their deepest position thus far.

Having grown up being forced to watch them over the last 30-odd years, you can tell when Joe is getting involved in the play calling. You see the same plays from 20+ years ago but nowhere near the disparity in talent he enjoyed back then.