Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolfpack_1986

College Football Fans?

I really don't see the big deal. The guy pushed Blount and said something to him, both actions obviously intended to provoke Blount, and got a tap on the chin for his trouble. If Blount should be arrested after responding to being provoked than the police need to be at every NHL game to promptly arrested and charge anyone that throws a punch.

Do you need to argue with irrelevant comparisons in every topic? You stated your case, had legitimate points and then just threw in an absurd comparison at the end that has nothing to do with the situation in question.

This happened after the conclusion of the game and was not part of any play. If the same thing happened after an NHL game, I would say the same thing. If a sucker-punch like this happened in an NHL game I would be calling for a suspension, just like I have in the past.

To be fair, you call for an arrest on a lot of these kinds of situations.

I do believe charges should be filed in a lot of these cases. I'm all for big (legal) hits and great plays, just not the stuff that doesn't belong in any game. I have no issues with his points of view either, just the asinine NHL comparison he threw in for no logical reason.

For a 300lb DE, that guy crumpled like a bitch. I'm not sorry he got punched nor am I sorry the guy got that long of a suspension.

I really don't see the big deal. The guy pushed Blount and said something to him, both actions obviously intended to provoke Blount, and got a tap on the chin for his trouble. If Blount should be arrested after responding to being provoked than the police need to be at every NHL game to promptly arrested and charge anyone that throws a punch.

Do you need to argue with irrelevant comparisons in every topic? You stated your case, had legitimate points and then just threw in an absurd comparison at the end that has nothing to do with the situation in question.

This happened after the conclusion of the game and was not part of any play. If the same thing happened after an NHL game, I would say the same thing. If a sucker-punch like this happened in an NHL game I would be calling for a suspension, just like I have in the past.

For Pete's sake mate, they're young bucks in their early 20's. Maybe you were a saint then, but I doubt many of us would have responded differently. The bottom line is this: we generally accept there are times and circumstances were getting the law involved is just stupid. You've got two young guys after a charged football game, one provokes the other and gets a bop to the face. I'm merely pointing out that if it that calls for getting the law involved then we would be dishonest if we didn't call for arrests any time a punch gets tossed. He wasn't suckered punched either, he goaded Blount and then was trying to duck into a crowd of teammates for protection like a chickenshit. It's not like he didn't do anything to provoke it, and it's not like Blount savagely beat him. Should Oregon do something to Blount? Well, he's suspended for the rest of the season. Which frankly is probably a far greater blow than anything could possibly have happened to him in the criminal arena given the circumstances. I think that's an over reaction, but whatever, there's simply no need to get Johnny law involved. If there is such a need, then Johnny law has to apply the law to all situations equally. Which, by nature, would mean fist fight during a hockey game equals getting arrested and no exceptions. Or every time there's temper flare up after a high school football game we need to haul teenagers off to jail. Seems a bit much to me.

For a 300lb DE, that guy crumpled like a bitch. I'm not sorry he got punched nor am I sorry the guy got that long of a suspension.

It looked like he had already turned his head and didn't see it coming. You tag anyone with a good punch to the jaw and they're going to need help getting up.

In what I've seen, it's a glancing blow. A club punch if anything. Suspension was for the rest of the year, his senior season.

For Pete's sake mate, they're young bucks in their early 20's. Maybe you were a saint then, but I doubt many of us would have responded differently. The bottom line is this: we generally accept there are times and circumstances were getting the law involved is just stupid. You've got two young guys after a charged football game, one provokes the other and gets a bop to the face. I'm merely pointing out that if it that calls for getting the law involved then we would be dishonest if we didn't call for arrests any time a punch gets tossed. He wasn't suckered punched either, he goaded Blount and then was trying to duck into a crowd of teammates for protection like a chickenshit. It's not like he didn't do anything to provoke it, and it's not like Blount savagely beat him. Should Oregon do something to Blount? Well, he's suspended for the rest of the season. Which frankly is probably a far greater blow than anything could possibly have happened to him in the criminal arena given the circumstances. I think that's an over reaction, but whatever, there's simply no need to get Johnny law involved.

Age is irrelevant, you do that on the street and you go to jail at 20, 30, 40, etc.. I'm sorry, I don't make excuses for aberrant behavior by athletes.

In what I've seen, it's a glancing blow. A club punch if anything. Suspension was for the rest of the year, his senior season.

Harsh punishment, but a reasonable one given the way he popped a few of his own guys in the head while they were trying to calm him down. You wonder how much that would have impacted the locker room over the course of the season if he was still suiting up.

Age is irrelevant, you do that on the street and you go to jail at 20, 30, 40, etc.. I'm sorry, I don't make excuses for aberrant behavior by athletes.

If I run up and tackle someone to the ground on the street I would go to jail. If I do it on a rugby pitch I help my team out. Obviously, we can't always apply the laws of soceity at large to what goes on in a sporting event.

If I run up and tackle someone to the ground on the street I would go to jail. If I do it on a rugby pitch I help my team out. Obviously, we can't always apply the laws of soceity at large to what goes on in a sporting event.

That's the best you can do? The game was over, this was not part of the game, nor was it something that is permissible during the game. It results in immediate ejection from the game.

That's the best you can do? The game was over, this was not part of the game, nor was it something that is permissible during the game. It results in immediate ejection from the game.

Mate, if you can't figure out that the police wouldn't exactly be prone to make arrests when two guys on the street got into a scuffle and one punch was thrown then you're not living in the real world. It's not permitted, at least technically, to fight in hockey. So mate, do you want to see cops at the arena making arrests every time there's a fight on the ice? You can't say it's different, the law simply cannot work that way. There cannot be special exceptions for one sport.

So we can deal with this two ways:

1.Yours: which means the law must become involved every time something that would be considered illegal on the streets takes place outside of the rules of the game.

2.Mine: players assume risk for conduct even outside of the rules and therefore must accept that the governing bodies of the sport involved will act in their interests, and that of the game itself. Thus the NCAA and Oregon's football program are the parties responsible, and best suited to handle this issue. In exactly the same way that the NHL is best suited to address what sort of fighting falls within the accepted standards of traditional hockey fighting, and what types of conduct cross lines of decorum.

It seems to me there are better uses of police time than showing up to make arrests every time there's an after game scuffle. Making the DA go through the motions of filing charges, making plea bargins that drop the charges down to low level misdemeanors that result in small fines. Fines that even if paid wouldn't begin to approach the cost to the tax payer of the process. Let alone if someone actually wants to fight the charge. Then we've got to pay for a jury trial.

I think Chadd's trying to highlight the difference between two hockey players squaring off, and a person being punched in the face when not expecting it after the game is done. He has also said cheap shots to unwilling participants away from the play should be met with legal action. If memory serves the police got involved with Bertuzzi/Moore, and that would be a closer comparison.

Hockey players don't throw sucker punches while shaking hands, so your comparison is just wrong. Two different sports, two different circumstances. Watch a UFC fight, when the match is over they hug and shake hands despite any eye gouging or low blows or illegal holds that may have been used.

I think Chadd's trying to highlight the difference between two hockey players squaring off, and a person being punched in the face when not expecting it after the game is done. He has also said cheap shots to unwilling participants away from the play should be met with legal action. If memory serves the police got involved with Bertuzzi/Moore, and that would be a closer comparison.

Hockey players don't throw sucker punches while shaking hands, so your comparison is just wrong. Two different sports, two different circumstances. Watch a UFC fight, when the match is over they hug and shake hands despite any eye gouging or low blows or illegal holds that may have been used.

It wasn't a sucker punch, the Boise State player engaged Blount physically and verbally prior to being hit. He was simply trying to avoid Blount by ducking into a group of teammates and found out he wasn't quick enough. Nor was it during the hand shake.

Legally, there is no difference. You cannot, as a matter of law, engage in a fist fight. Of course, as reasonable people we allow exceptions to this.

That sums it up nicely. I don't care if people agree or disagree, it's just the nonsensical arguments that drive me nuts.

The funny thing is Bertuzzi got a much softer punishment than McSorely did from the same jurisdiction. I'm sure there was no hometown influence there.

Well, our hometown team damn near beat the Hawkeyes. Have to give Iowa's defense credit for saving the game twice at the end for them. UNI has had some pretty strong teams over the past few years especially. Warner played his college ball here, as have a few other NFL'ers. A couple years ago we did get to see Joe Flacco dismantle our defense though in the playoffs. We had little doubt he'd go to the big show after seeing how well he played.

Watching this like the Zapruder film. Back and to the left...

bluntko.flv.gif

I'm more glad he got popped than I was initially. Of course I don't think the suspension's unfair, but this prick really deserved the punch.

Watching this like the Zapruder film. Back and to the left...

I'm more glad he got popped than I was initially. Of course I don't think the suspension's unfair, but this prick really deserved the punch.

Reminds me of the infamous spit from the bushes in Seinfeld. But I don't think there's a possibility of a second puncher in this instance.

Unless it really was a Beaver in the endzone.

i agree with chadd on this...the boise state guy is clearly about to walk away then mr tough guy sucker punches him (and in my eyes its a sucker punch because its not like they were both squaring off or anything as you would in say a hockey fight)then goes after the fans now thats what i define as a goon and doesnt deserve to be on the football field period

I've been looking at the vid and trying to figure out what he said to him before getting decked. But, I'm a terrible lip reader.

A lot of people around here are saying that Hout said something along the lines of "Say hi to your Aunt for me". Apparently Blount comes from a broken home and his aunt was a stabilizing influence on him. She recently died and there are reports that he has lost it in practice recently. Who knows if Hout actually said something about his aunt; I can definitely see Oregon fans exaggerating it to defend Blount.

Well, our hometown team damn near beat the Hawkeyes. Have to give Iowa's defense credit for saving the game twice at the end for them. UNI has had some pretty strong teams over the past few years especially. Warner played his college ball here, as have a few other NFL'ers. A couple years ago we did get to see Joe Flacco dismantle our defense though in the playoffs. We had little doubt he'd go to the big show after seeing how well he played.

I would say the top 10 FCS teams are better than about 30-45 Div I labeled football programs

UNI or Richmond would beat a few Big10/SEC/ACC/Pac10 teams this year

The ACC had two squads lose to an FCS (Former Div I-AA) team this weekend.

Duke lost to Richmond and Virginia was beaten by William & Mary (not a top 10 FCS team)

The 85 scholarship limit is starting to really make a difference. This didnt happen overnight, but after 10-15 years it should start to show

The BYU/Sooners game was a bit of a shocker.

Not really. BYU is a well-coached top 25 team and the Sooners lost their star QB. QB play can make or break a football season, as FSU and Miami fans about that.

To all the toothless yokels (Sooner fans) clamoring for Stoops head, STFU. He's taken you further than any other coach has w/o cheating and put you in at least 3 BCS championship games. Especially at a school where most players have to be imported due to the small population of Oklahoma. (most notably Texas)

Yes, as someone who lived in Miami for years, I would've called it JRS but not sure if most people knew or remembered that.

Yes, but back when they played Pitt, the games were still hosted at the old Miami Orange Bowl before going out to Joe Robbie/Pro Player Stadium/Whateverthehellitisnow

My buddy was director of premium seating for the Dolphins and Marlins so I caught a couple games at both stadiums. Not a bad experience. Joe Robbie was definitely in a nicer area and visible from the freeway, but then again the Orange Bowl has all the history..

Love College Football

Especially love that the Big Ten has SUCKED collectively as a conference for a looong time now and will continue to suck. Seriously.... Pollsters and the rest of the world have finally caught on to how overhyped and overexposed the Big Ten consistently is. Outside of MU (who has not been good and will not be good for a while) and OSU, there are no consistently good teams in the entire conference.... sure PSU has had a decent run the lat few years..... but if you look at the quality of the rest of the programs, it;s a miracle they are even getting three or fout bowl bids.

Sure everyone loves the tradition of the Big Ten, but I for one am so very happy that the world woke up and realized that they cannot expect the same coverage, adoration, bowl picks etc, simply for just being the Big Ten.

SEC is hands down the toughest conference to play in.

BIG 12 is also very competitive the last half decade.

I'm not sure how the Big Ten has sucked for "a long time" when they've done pretty well with the exception of the last couple years. You'd be surprised at the SEC bowl record vs the Big 10 as a whole..Good against Ohio State, but not so good against Michigan, Penn State or Iowa.

Iowa has throttled Florida, LSU and South Carolina of the SEC in the last 5 years.

Michigan beat Florida a couple years back in Florida despite losing to Appalachian State earlier in the year

'Bama lost to a mediocre Minnesota team in a bowl game 3-4 yrs ago and the game was not as close as the score indicated..Both MN running backs ran for 100+ yards against 'Bama

The Big 10's reputation seems to be based on OSU's failure in the big game. If anything, USC has been a tougher opponent for the Buckeyes than Florida or LSU or Texas. Since 2002, USC has been the best team in college football IMO despite UF's two titles and LSU's titles even though USC was better than LSU in both years..

The Big12 has been overrated too with the Sooners losing in bowl games including a blowout lost to USC

Texas fans make too much of their win over USC a few years back due to Vincent Young's heroics. USC wins that game 9 out of 10 times. I thought Texas had more talent in the last couple years than they did the year they won the title.

The SEC has benefited from USC having their yearly hiccup against Oregon State or UCLA...I think Florida would have lost to USC had they played each other.