Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBert

2008 US Election Thread

I personally disagree with a sh1tload of McCain's issues, but I disagree with all of Obamas.

Jimmy, in the past eight years, McCain has voted with Bush 90% of the time. I derive two things from that.

John McCain is no maverick.

It's highly likely our country would continue to be in the economic plight, as well as international poor standing, that we are in now. If you don't believe that to be true, what do you believe are the differences in McCain's positions that would lead us away from the treading water that the country has been in?

Most in congress vote along party lines, that's a poor excuse. McCain will not be Bush, it's a nice slogan but the two people are vastly different. As I said, I don't support McCain, it just that he's certainly better than Obama.

I personally disagree with a sh1tload of McCain's issues, but I disagree with all of Obamas.

Jimmy, in the past eight years, McCain has voted with Bush 90% of the time. I derive two things from that.

It's highly likely our country would continue to be in the economic plight, as well as international poor standing, that we are in now. If you don't believe that to be true, what do you believe are the differences in McCain's positions that would lead us away from the treading water that the country has been in?

What has Obama done in Congress in the past 8 years? Oh right, he's only been in 1 term and 21 of the 33 months he has spent campaigning.

What has Obama done in Congress in the past 8 years? Oh right, he's only been in 1 term and 21 of the 33 months he has spent campaigning.

Although I will be voting for Obama I agree with your comment Chippa. The issue for me is McCain's pick of Palin. It is very possible that she will become our president and not only does she not have the experience I dont think she can do the job. If the last 8 years shows anything is that the events in our country are not scripted and can not be predicted.

Yes Obama has limited experience as well but, IN MY OPINION, he is a much brighter bulb in the tree. Like him or not Biden does give him a wealth of experience to draw from as well.

Is this the perfect situation? Hell no. As Mack said earlier we have not had a 'real' choice for president in a long, long time.

Strange that so many are willing to elect Obama based on a big "what if" even though everyone agrees that he doesn't have the experience to run a nation. Heck, what if Biden has a heart attack? Who'll be there to hold Barack's hand?

How about Biden's theatrics when he completely derailed a question so he could throw in his phony tears about his family. I get it that his wife and daughter were tragically killed years ago, but he completely exploited their deaths for his own personal gain in the debate. The guy is disgusting.

Same can be said about McCain and the POW angle. It goes both ways.

You're absolutely right. I'm really tired of him hammering on the POW thing all the time. It has nothing at all to do with being president.

Funny how only 4 years ago everyone was trying to pump Kerry up as a war hero....

How about Biden's theatrics when he completely derailed a question so he could throw in his phony tears about his family. I get it that his wife and daughter were tragically killed years ago, but he completely exploited their deaths for his own personal gain in the debate. The guy is disgusting.

You're absolutely right. I'm really tired of him hammering on the POW thing all the time. It has nothing at all to do with being president.

Funny how only 4 years ago everyone was trying to pump Kerry up as a war hero....

Hardly anyone, because he was no hero.

Although I will be voting for Obama I agree with your comment Chippa. The issue for me is McCain's pick of Palin. It is very possible that she will become our president and not only does she not have the experience I dont think she can do the job. If the last 8 years shows anything is that the events in our country are not scripted and can not be predicted.

Yes Obama has limited experience as well but, IN MY OPINION, he is a much brighter bulb in the tree. Like him or not Biden does give him a wealth of experience to draw from as well.

Is this the perfect situation? Hell no. As Mack said earlier we have not had a 'real' choice for president in a long, long time.

Biden has 36 years of experience being on committees. He's never governed anything.

I agree that we still don't have any good choices for president. Once again, I'll be voting for the candidate I dislike less than the other.

Strange that so many are willing to elect Obama based on a big "what if" even though everyone agrees that he doesn't have the experience to run a nation. Heck, what if Biden has a heart attack? Who'll be there to hold Barack's hand?

Excellent!! You are right on. I guess Barry will get Rev Wright and Resco to help him.

Actually it has a lot to do with being President, it shows he can handle adversity, something he'll likely be called upon to do while President. In time of crisis, I'd much rather have a ex-POW in charge, an attack pilot in charge, a Navy Commander in charge, than a community organizer who stumbled into where he was because an opponent dropped out of the race. And actually, up until the convention, I don't think McCain ever pushed the POW thing, it was the media who did. Over the years I've met and spoke with a couple of POW's and OMG, what they went thru makes me and others look like a wimp in comparison.

You applaud her not reading books or magazines? I dont mind different opinions but you had me at hello.

I hope you are voting for these folks because you agree with their view points and opinions and NOT because of the "liberal media?"

So, tell us exactly why does she has to read magazines? What is the significance of that stupid question?

And yes, I'd rather have my Governor spending their time running my state instead of reading "People" (or Playboy in case of Bill Clinton, or Playgirl in case of Barney Frank). Yup, THAT's certainly a prerequisite for being VP.

I personally disagree with a sh1tload of McCain's issues, but I disagree with all of Obamas. Guess who I'm voting for? As for the media, I ignore most of them because I know who they are steering the election to, and it's never for the right person. Katie Kouric, what a joke.

You do know that McCain was never a commander of anything in the Navy don't you?

"So, tell us exactly why does she has to read magazines? What is the significance of that stupid question?" Re-read what you typed here, you should be able to answer your own question.

You do know that McCain was never a commander of anything in the Navy don't you?

Dude, we've been over this already. McCain commanded VA-174, the largest squadron in the U.S. Navy.

Try to keep up.

Excellent!! You are right on. I guess Barry will get Rev Wright and Resco to help him.

And Palin will get her witch hunting minister and McCain will bring Hagee. They all seem to have their minister problems.

Actually it has a lot to do with being President, it shows he can handle adversity, something he'll likely be called upon to do while President. In time of crisis, I'd much rather have a ex-POW in charge, an attack pilot in charge, a Navy Commander in charge, than a community organizer who stumbled into where he was because an opponent dropped out of the race. And actually, up until the convention, I don't think McCain ever pushed the POW thing, it was the media who did. Over the years I've met and spoke with a couple of POW's and OMG, what they went thru makes me and others look like a wimp in comparison.

You applaud her not reading books or magazines? I dont mind different opinions but you had me at hello.

I hope you are voting for these folks because you agree with their view points and opinions and NOT because of the "liberal media?"

So, tell us exactly why does she has to read magazines? What is the significance of that stupid question?

And yes, I'd rather have my Governor spending their time running my state instead of reading "People" (or Playboy in case of Bill Clinton, or Playgirl in case of Barney Frank). Yup, THAT's certainly a prerequisite for being VP.

I personally disagree with a sh1tload of McCain's issues, but I disagree with all of Obamas. Guess who I'm voting for? As for the media, I ignore most of them because I know who they are steering the election to, and it's never for the right person. Katie Kouric, what a joke.

"So, tell us exactly why does she has to read magazines? What is the significance of that stupid question?" Re-read what you typed here, you should be able to answer your own question.

Not true......

Having been rehabilitated, by late 1974, McCain had his flight status reinstated, and in 1976 he became commanding officer of a training squadron stationed in Florida.[54][57] He improved the unit's flight readiness and safety records,[58] and won the squadron its first-ever Meritorious Unit Commendation.[

I love McCains "healthcare reform plan" where he states that in order to offer a $5000 tax credit to Americans for healthcare, he would tax the healthcare allocations that people receive from their respective employers as income. On the average, healthcare costs for companies per worker is around $900 per month, which means you would be taxed overall like you make an additional $12000, just to get a $5000 credit. I guess my question is, what if you only make like $25000 per year or something lowly like that? Brutal. But I guess billion $$$ tax breaks to oil companies and other corporations creates jobs-oh no wait, that creates more profits lol

I love McCains "healthcare reform plan" where he states that in order to offer a $5000 tax credit to Americans for healthcare, he would tax the healthcare allocations that people receive from their respective employers as income. On the average, healthcare costs for companies per worker is around $900 per month, which means you would be taxed overall like you make an additional $12000, just to get a $5000 credit. I guess my question is, what if you only make like $25000 per year or something lowly like that? Brutal. But I guess billion $$$ tax breaks to oil companies and other corporations creates jobs-oh no wait, that creates more profits lol

I agree with you. His plan is BS. All you have to do to figure that out is look at your costs for COBRA or look on your pay statment. My employer pays about $1500 a month for my family's medical coverage, equaling $18000 a year. I don't see how a $5000 tax credit is suddenly going to make up for taxes on an extra $18000 a year.

Not true......

Having been rehabilitated, by late 1974, McCain had his flight status reinstated, and in 1976 he became commanding officer of a training squadron stationed in Florida.[54][57] He improved the unit's flight readiness and safety records,[58] and won the squadron its first-ever Meritorious Unit Commendation.[

I was wrong on that. So he did comamnd the training squadron. It pretty much seems like a pitty assignment. Not sure how you can justify putting a guy that lsot 5 planes in command of a squadron. Not exactly the guy you wat teaching pilots.

I was wrong on that. So he did comamnd the training squadron. It pretty much seems like a pitty assignment. Not sure how you can justify putting a guy that lsot 5 planes in command of a squadron. Not exactly the guy you wat teaching pilots.

You don't know much about the military do you?

I love McCains "healthcare reform plan" where he states that in order to offer a $5000 tax credit to Americans for healthcare, he would tax the healthcare allocations that people receive from their respective employers as income. On the average, healthcare costs for companies per worker is around $900 per month, which means you would be taxed overall like you make an additional $12000, just to get a $5000 credit. I guess my question is, what if you only make like $25000 per year or something lowly like that? Brutal. But I guess billion $$ tax breaks to oil companies and other corporations creates jobs-oh no wait, that creates more profits lol

I agree with you. His plan is BS. All you have to do to figure that out is look at your costs for COBRA or look on your pay statment. My employer pays about $1500 a month for my family's medical coverage, equaling $18000 a year. I don't see how a $5000 tax credit is suddenly going to make up for taxes on an extra $18000 a year.

I try not to buy into any of the partisan hype on either side so I actually looked up some information.

If you make under $65k as a couple, your tax rate would be 15% and you would pay $2700 in taxes on your $18000 health care benefit. Even if you move up to the next level and paid the full 25% on the entire $18000 you would still be paying only $4500 and getting a $5000 credit. It's not until you get to the 131k-200k group where you would pay more in taxes than you would get in the credit.

Personally I think government should stay the hell out of health care entirely. Look at the only existing example of government run health care in the US, the Veterans Administration. If anyone thinks that example is what they want for the country, they're out of their minds. The tax code already has way too many credits and loopholes as it stands. Let's just get a nice low rate and eliminate the loopholes.

McCain has many big "what if's" as well. He admits not knowing a whole hell of a lot about the economy and Palin is in the same boat. He is a hot head that reacts to everything and we have seen that already. Citing a party line of "country first" and tapping Palin is a not that in any sense of the word. I would have been much happier with him if he had selected Huckabee as a running mate for may obvious reasons.

I am more than happy to stand up and admit when I am wrong if that is indeed the case. I have great issue with taking advice from any party / person that brought us the horror known as mini-me.

These are my opinions and you raise interesting points I have heard before and I believe that we both wish the best in the end.

Damn Nashua people! ;)

Transplant to Nashua, best place to live in 1997 and 2007, by the way.

No president is an expert on everything. That is why they have a cabinet and advisors. I'd rather have a guy who knows what he doesn't know.

You don't know much about the military do you?

He doesn't know much about training squadrons either.

No president is an expert on everything. That is why they have a cabinet and advisors. I'd rather have a guy who knows what he doesn't know.

Yes, Nashua is a great place to live. BTW, who lives there? And yes, you echoed what I said earlier, a good leader will surround themselves with good experienced people and advisers. That's why a good CEO can lead any company in any industry. Obama was a lawyer and has absolutely zero economic experience, I find it amusing that people think he's the economic savior when in fact, he's done nothing and knows nothing, except campaigning. At least Palin has run a city and state budget and McCain as a Squadron Commander had a huge budget to meet as well. Some experience is better than none, isn't it?

Wasn't the budget of Wasilla $20m and didn't the hockey rink she put up in Wasilla cost $15m? That raised taxes on Main Street Wasilla, you betcha.

I just imagine if McCain keels over and Palin takes over, that Putin will have his subs in the Bering Sea before Sarah knows WTF is going on. Putin would just eat her up and spit her out in no time. Don't forget the Bear, fellas. His little hike through Georgia was just training camp for bigger things. "Golly gee, Vlad! Whatcha doin' on Wasilla?" Uh-oh.............

I lived in Nashua for 28 years. Best place to live ... uh ... no.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A booming economy and low-crime rate has catapulted the city of Nashua, New Hampshire, to the top of Money Magazine's annual ranking of best places to live in the United States.

Wasn't the budget of Wasilla $20m and didn't the hockey rink she put up in Wasilla cost $15m? That raised taxes on Main Street Wasilla, you betcha.

I just imagine if McCain keels over and Palin takes over, that Putin will have his subs in the Bering Sea before Sarah knows WTF is going on. Putin would just eat her up and spit her out in no time. Don't forget the Bear, fellas. His little hike through Georgia was just training camp for bigger things. "Golly gee, Vlad! Whatcha doin' on Wasilla?" Uh-oh.............

What experience does Obama have, SPECFICIALLY in this area. if you can't answer in detail, conversation over.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A booming economy and low-crime rate has catapulted the city of Nashua, New Hampshire, to the top of Money Magazine's annual ranking of best places to live in the United States.

I believe you but the highlights are Pheasant Lane Mall, Greeley Park and Hayward Ice Cream. Haywards is the best freakin ice cream btw!

What experience does Obama have, SPECFICIALLY in this area. if you can't answer in detail, conversation over.

The conversation, SPECIFICALLY(not SPECFICIALLY, sic), is over. Neither has squat for experience. I am just disappointed that the Republican Presidential nominee is not the captain of the varsity football team, as his running mate, the captain of the cheer leading team is the Republican Vice Presidential nominee.