Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBert

2008 US Election Thread

I'm obviously well aware of the fact that O'Reilly is far from liberal. You were arguing that the leading people in the media aren't highly educated (regardless of their politics). I showed you omitted some very important ones. What about print media? Look up any of the New York Times op ed columnists who are almost all criticized for being too far left and you'll find they went to schools like Oxford, Harvard, University of Chicago, Yale, MIT, etc.

"W" went to Yale.

I think, after today's events in the market and how things may move forward, that we all need to stick together during these horrible times. Vote however you will and EDUCATE yourselves on your decision. My opinion is to vote out any incumbent POS that is at ANY level of governement right now.

In the past financial firms put together horrible loan packages and consumers did not take the time to educate themselves on what they were getting into. I have a much stronger opinion on this part regarding the "everyday person" but I would rather not offend.

The point is lets keep this topic going at the repectful level that it has been most of the time and keep communicating.

I for one, party aside, am disgusted in our Government.

I am in total agreement that John Q. Public deserves more of the blame for the current problems than he is accepting. Folks who either couldn't figure out that they were getting into loans that they couldn't afford or worse, folks who essentially engaged in real estate speculation with their own homes shouldn't be bailed out simply for being stupid.

I am in total agreement that John Q. Public deserves more of the blame for the current problems than he is accepting. Folks who either couldn't figure out that they were getting into loans that they couldn't afford or worse, folks who essentially engaged in real estate speculation with their own homes shouldn't be bailed out simply for being stupid.

Agreed. Though people that were doing the right things are also paying the price. What a clusterfuck.

It is a major shit burger and unfortunately we're all going to have to take a bite. But don't worry, we'll get it all back when the government sells those shitball securities. <_<

ummm....so I don't have cable TV, I don't really follow US politics that closely, and while I obviously knew who Sarah Palin was, I'd never actually heard her speak. A friend just linked me to her interview with Katie Couric.

Seriously? THAT'S the Republican VP Candidate? I honest to god felt embarrassed for her, it was like that Miss America contestant from last year (I think) except longer and worse. What the hell is she talking about?

ummm....so I don't have cable TV, I don't really follow US politics that closely, and while I obviously knew who Sarah Palin was, I'd never actually heard her speak. A friend just linked me to her interview with Katie Couric.

Seriously? THAT'S the Republican VP Candidate? I honest to god felt embarrassed for her, it was like that Miss America contestant from last year (I think) except longer and worse. What the hell is she talking about?

Could you post the link?

The debate has actually been pretty good. Biden's strength on the foreign policy stuff is pretty overwhelming, the funny part is having to espouse positions that are contrary to his history. I don't see anyone changing their mind based on what the candidates themselves say, barring some monumentally stupid comment over the next 30 days.

Palin went in to the debate with no expectations. She performed above and beyond what most figured she would, and I think she was pretty impressive. People consistently bring up the Nixon/Kennedy debate when discussing how physical appearance can sway the outcome of a debate. There is no doubt in my mind that she came off as the better looking candidate (not just because she is a woman either). Both had their strong points and their downfalls, but I thought it was pretty even in the end. Given how many people wrote Palin off before the debate, that can almost be counted as a win for her.

Given how many people wrote Palin off before the debate, that can almost be counted as a win for her.

Not if you work for CNN.

I think he schtick of trying to talk like an "average american" turns off more people than not.

I totally agree but I think that in her case she is much closer to an "average American" than the overwhelming majority of career politicians.

She could have at least tried to make it not be totally obvious she was reading cards on the podium the whole time. She did a good job of reading, she did a whole lot better than I thought she'd do.

Given how many people wrote Palin off before the debate, that can almost be counted as a win for her.

Not if you work for CNN.

I think he schtick of trying to talk like an "average american" turns off more people than not.

For a while one of Bush's schticks what the "average american" take as well. Uh ... no thanks.

I liked her opening where she talked about, hypothetically, being at the hockey rink with other hockey parents worried about their investments etc. Very Canadian! :)

Wow, compared to the woman who spoke with Katie, she did a stunningly good job. That said, it was apparent at times that she had been scripted, or maybe a better way to say it is it was apparent when she had to deviate.

It was obvious that Biden had a deeper understanding of most of the topics and came across more Presidential, but I suspect the polls will show a bounce to McCain. Kosy is right that the lower expectations allowed her to hit a home run.

Wow, compared to the woman who spoke with Katie, she did a stunningly good job. That said, it was apparent at times that she had been scripted, or maybe a better way to say it is it was apparent when she had to deviate.

Yeah, when she wasn't reading off the cards was when she started to stammer and/or repeat herself a lot.

I can only imagine what was written in front of her. I'd assume "maverick" in huge bold letters was one of the things.

On a similar note......does anyone have any form of historical reference, or explanation for the national media's extreme bias towards the liberal/democratic party?

Maybe the media tend to be more educated on the issues or critical thinkers than the bulk of society?

How far did your typing get before you started laughing?

Actually, I started laughing before I began typing, since I knew what the reaction would be....

However, we can argue whether I've come to the right conclusion -- although I wasn't giving a conclusion, only a possibility -- but we can say with 100% certainty that the media is more educated on the issues than the bulk of society, while we'd probably have to scale back to 99% certainty whether the media has more critical thinkers than the bulk of society.

I'm not referring to the bubble headed bleach blonde who comes on at five. I'm talking about reporters, analysts, pundits, editorial boards, et al, whose work weeks probably consist of 70+ hours of reading, interviewing, discussing and writing, while those of us who actually try to keep current on the news are too often limited to reading the paper at breakfast or watching the evening news. Sadly, the remainder of the people don't really put much effort into keeping themselves educated. And it is they who comprise "the bulk of society."

Most of us are aware that women couldn't vote until 1920, but it's less well known that, at the time of the Constitution, under 10% of the people could vote -- and that was by design. Voters had to be white, male landowners of a certain age, since the prevailing wisdom was someone who was not in that position had no business making decisions that would affect those who were. Although everyone over 18 can vote today (except felons or ex-felons in most states), the thinking hasn't changed much. Political scientists believe it's not desirable to attain 100% voting, since too many people aren't educated enough about the issues.

That's quite evident today, when 26% of Americans still approve of the job that Bush has done, or when a knee-jerk reaction turns Sarah Palin into a rock star during her first month in the spotlight. Fortunately, however, the honeymoon is beginning to end, as five conservative pundits this week expressed sentiments ranging from: Palin is unqualified to be V.P.; is a farcical pick for V.P. and an example of poor judgement on McCain's part; or Palin should withdraw.

What! And Obama's campaign didn't start with all the media claiming he was a rock star. Jason, you are so off on this one. Palin may be unqualified to be VP but Barry is way unqualified to be president. No-one seems to look deep into his credentials, which are zero. No one talks about the little experience Bill Clinton had when he was running as a unknown gov from a little state, or those who almost had some little governor from Vermont as their candidate, not VP, the actual pres nominee. Talk about poor judgment by Macain, what about poor judgment by all those democratic voters who put Barry in there to begin with. Couldn't the democrats at least come up with someone with some experience, someone decent. Jeeze.

That is no different than a "vote on our MSNBC.com poll". Any poll that makes people go out of their way to answer it is poor sampling.

I'm a Republican, but it just goes to further distance me from respecting any mainstream media.

Can America just not have a president until better candidates come along? They've been slumping for12 years now.

Can America just not have a president until better candidates come along? They've been slumping for12 years now.

One of the better ideas I've heard in years. And let the clowns in Congress go as well. I can't wait until they're patting themselves on the back when this buyout bill passes. Idiots.

Could you post the link?

The 'Russia Question'

I really had no opinion of her until about 24 hours ago. I mean, I know she is deeply religious, against abortion, and holds a variety of other views with which I disagree. But I'm sorry, politics completely aside, she sounds like a moron. I know people can and do get nervous in situations like that, but this was an interview were I'm sure she had at least some idea, if not the exact script, of what was going to be asked...and are these things even live? I don't think so. Maybe I'm way off base as to how interviews like that work, but she certainly wasn't being ambushed with these questions.