Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2008 NFL Thread

All I got to say is: J - E - T - S - JETS, JETS, JETS. WAZ UP NOW BELICHIK!!!

ps:They will still beat the Jets next week (This is what a real Jets fan sounds like)

They barely beat the Dolphins, led by their castoff QB. I do like the Jets' chances a lot better now. Lynch can't play QB so Buffalo can only go so far.

This injury completely screwed up the NFL point spread lines for the next 16 weeks. I don't expect NE to get more than 10 wins now and I certainly

can't say they'll win the division at this point. Yeah, Cassell is better than I expected but he's definitely going to take lumps along the way, we'll see what happens in week 15...

No doubt. I was excited when they picked up Lamont Jordan, since he's gashed them in the past out of the backfield, and I'm glad they kept all five. What I'd love to see is more of Maroney off screens and short passes to the flats. He just seems too hesitant to be a great north-south runner, but he has strength, speed and decent moves, so I think he excels in the open field.

Regarding Cassell, he really looked terrible in the preseason and it looked like his teammates didn't have a lot of faith in him, but there are bright spots. First, he seemed to be playing tight because it was presumed he was competing for a spot, but in all likelihood he's the man now, so he may be able to relax and react better. He also should grow throughout the season as he gets considerably more reps in practice and more experience at game speed.

Many of the other teams that were considered contenders also have issues, such as the Colts with Peyton and the Chargers with Merriman. In theory, the Pats have a easy schedule, but they have a decision to make when they go out West. Twice this year, they have games on the West Coast in consecutive weeks, so do they fly six hours each way in over two days for two straight weekends, or do they stay in a hotel for a week and try to locate adequate practice facilities?

The Pats are no longer the favorites, but I think it's crazy to think they're out of the playoffs picture.

Who knows if the Pats are still the favorites, but it's safe to say the Jets aren't.

If the Pats don't play well then Buffalo will win the division.

Who knows if the Pats are still the favorites, but it's safe to say the Jets aren't.

If the Pats don't play well then Buffalo will win the division.

How is it safe to say the Jets aren't? I'm not comfortable with the Bills until I see them play a team that isn't missing it's top 3 WRs and doesn't have the worst collection of running backs in the NFL.

Going to be very interesting to see what kind of line comes out for NE/NYJ next week, I think if Brady is out, Jets are a couple point favourites.

The Dolphins gave the Jets the ball all game yesterday, Favre threw the most lucky TD ever, and the game still came down to the last possession against a team that was 1-15 last year and is probably a worse team this year.

Miami wasn't nearly as bad as their record indicated last year, and with Pennington they are better this season, no question about it.

Should be a good race now at least; one of the Pats/Jets/Bills will probably get to 10 wins to take it.

Tuck you, Brady.

Sincerely,

Al Davis

Pats fans still swear that was a good call. Even though it hasn't been called since.

Funny how after running up the score on a regular basis last year. They lose Brady in the first quarter in game one.

I like how Belichick brought up Wilforks hit on Losman in comapring Pollard's hit. Wilfork put his elbow/forearm into Losman's knee. Pollard's hit was like any other hit.

Tuck you, Brady.

Sincerely,

Al Davis

Pats fans still swear that was a good call. Even though it hasn't been called since.

Funny how after running up the score on a regular basis last year. They lose Brady in the first quarter in game one.

I like how Belichick brought up Wilforks hit on Losman in comapring Pollard's hit. Wilfork put his elbow/forearm into Losman's knee. Pollard's hit was like any other hit.

Thats probably because they changed that rule after that year because it was obviously a bad rule. Belichick compared Pollards hit to Wilforks because they were both blocked into the QB and if Pollard had hit Brady with is arm/elbow rather than his head the injury would not have been as bad.

Miami wasn't nearly as bad as their record indicated last year, and with Pennington they are better this season, no question about it.

Should be a good race now at least; one of the Pats/Jets/Bills will probably get to 10 wins to take it.

No Taylor, no Thomas, Brown's knee still not healthy, Chambers gone. They're easily worse than last year.

The division should end up,

Pats

Bills(maybe WC team)

Jets

Phins

A tuck rule call went against the Patriots the following season, when Vinny Testeverde lost a fumble for the Jets, but it was obvious during the review that the play was similar to the playoff game. Sure enough, call reversed. I understand the need for the tuck rule, because somehow we have to differentiate between passes and fumbles -- otherwise all incomplete passes would be fumbles -- but the problem is it goes from being clearly obvious to imperceptible. It's easy to tell that someone is passing when the elbow is moving five inches away from the body, but it really gets into nuances when we're talking centimeters whether the motion has been finished.

That said, what most people seem to overlook about the tuck call in the playoff game is the referee, Walt Coleman, reversed his own call on the field. Absolutely lucky for the Patriots, but far more credible when a ref is overturning his own call.

Since this appears to be the NFL thread, I'm loving the performance by the Broncos tonight. Well, I say Broncos but it's really just Cutler and Royal out there. Sure, it's only Oakland but after last year's home opener against Oakland this is huge.

If anyone's as much of a degenerate gambler as I am, take advantage of this; The Jets are -2.5 as of right now for their game against the Pats.

If you've seen enough clips of Belichick at the podium -- an aspect of his job that he HATES -- it was obvious that BB was responding to a question regarding the two hits. It sounded like his comparison was more along the lines of how one hit caused greater damage, which is why he said they were similar but different. He suggested that Brady might have suffered less damage if Pollard had landed with less of his body weight.

That said, it was quite obvious in regular speed, let alone the many replays, that Sammy Morris was holding (nearly tackling) Pollard in a blitz pickup, and that Pollard fought through and dove at Brady. Because Morris was pushing Pollard low to the ground, Pollard ended up being low as he hit Brady. Pollard did nothing dirty on that play and, were it not for the holding, it's likely that the worst that would have happened is Brady might have been slammed to the ground. Makes it almost ironic.

If anyone's as much of a degenerate gambler as I am, take advantage of this; The Jets are -2.5 as of right now for their game against the Pats.

I'm guessing from your posts you are jumping on the Pats here?

I'd be leaning towards the Pats as well, but I have a buddy who is going in big on the Jets. I'm going to stay away, I don't want to have a large financial stake on Matt Cassel this week, but I'm also not giving 2.5 points to the freaking Patriots who haven't lost a regular season game since god knows when.