Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2008 NFL Thread

Shocking news out of New England today, particularly since trades in the NFL are rare, but the Pats traded Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs. The Pats were given an undisclosed draft pick in return -- my guess would be a 3rd, since Vrabel is 34. The thought is Scott Pioli, who left NE to become the Chiefs' GM, wants Vrabel to help set the tone of professionalism with such a young team.

Still, it was fairly shocking, since Vrabel was well respected in NE and had 12.5 sacks two seasons ago. Of course, one said it best: It's better to trade someone a year early, rather than a year late.

Shocking news gets more shocking:

http://tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=269110&lid...s=topStory_main

Vrabel AND CASSEL!!!!!!!

The more I think about it, it was Vrabel and Cassel for #34 plus $18 million of cap space.

The Pats entered free agency with the second least amount of space, so now they might have room to resign a couple of their own players like Wilfork or Mankins. Plus, most fans were calling to cut Cassel after last preseason, so anything they get for him is bonus, although I thought they'd pick up a first rounder. Vrabel was showing signs of aging last year, and teams virtually never trade for 34-year-old veterans, so maybe he's just a throw-in to pick up $4 mil of space.

I love the guy, but five years for Dawkins? And Cutler being paranoid about being on the trading block, supposedly for Cassel at one point. Thank god they didn't pull the trigger on that deal.

This is great. McDaniels has screwed up the Broncos and he hasn't even coached the team yet. Too bad they can't trade him to KC so he can go play reacharounds with Cassel.

I realize that McDaniels probably feels he needs to produce a winning team quickly, so he wants to have a QB who he feels can best play his style, but this was a PR blunder. At the very least, McDaniels needed to go to camp with Cutler before deciding that Cutler wasn't his guy. Now he will struggle to win back Cutler and Cutler's allies.

It reminded me of when I worked at the supermarket years ago, and a new manager came in. Instead of observing the store's operations for a week or so, and then deciding what changes he'd like to see, he posted his changes on his second day. Some of his "changes" were already happening, but the overbearing tone pretty much sunk the guy on his second day.

That's just what it sounds like. I like the moves they're making on D (like they could make that any worse) but this Cutler thing has just gotten ugly. Their damage control is basically saying they were only listening to offers and not initiating but I don't buy that at all. I almost wish he'd been dealt to Minny and then I could just like that team since I love AP already. Oh well, I hope it starts to get smoothed over as I don't even know he'd be let go as an RFA in a couple years.

Detroit? The team is probably not going to be very good again this year...might as well have a sideshow attraction while they're at it.

Please god no, not detroit! Even tho they suck, I still watch them every sunday, signing TO would change that.

Just throwing it out there...realistically....Da Raid-aires (ya gotta try readin' that like Berman says it) are probably going to sign him.

In other news Roy Williams (the Safety not the WR) is on the market as well.

WTF!!!! TO signs in BUFFALO!!!!!!

I was going to post that as a possible destination 2 days ago just so everyone could goof on it...and I heard a Fan590 show that when Buf was brought up they all laughed at the idea...

http://tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=270224&lid...s=topStory_main

W :o W!

Sweet merciful Crap.....I'm a fired up Bills fan today. Now all they need an offense that throws more than 15 yarders.

Sweet merciful Crap.....I'm a fired up Bills fan today. Now all they need an offense that throws more than 15 yarders.

I agree. Not sure how I feel yet. The shock has yet to wear off.

Well this is an interesting turn for TO. Play with a QB that's not good at all.

Losman isn't the QB anymore. C'mon...Trent isn't AWFUL....He isn't McNabb or Romo...but he's not "not good at all"

From the games I've seen get televised, I'd put him down as not good at all. Now surely some of that is from only having one person to throw to but he doesn't look like any kind of solution to me.

From the games I've seen get televised, I'd put him down as not good at all. Now surely some of that is from only having one person to throw to but he doesn't look like any kind of solution to me.

When he's looked good...he's looked really good. But, when he's bad...he looks awful. Part of that is play calling...part of that is 1 main target...if Lee Evans is covered...it's 5 yard dump offs to the TE's and RB's. Oh, did I mention the TE's in Buffalo pretty much suck. I think Pete Metzelaars was the last good one they had.

I'm hoping TO and Evans on either side will stretch defenses a bit and they should both have some longball opportunities this year.

Luckily I don't think Buffalo will have the pleasure of being subjected to the full range of TO-antics. I believe that with a one year deal he'll be on his best behavior, and Rosenhaus will ensure this, so that both of them can get another payday after this season.

When he's looked good...he's looked really good. But, when he's bad...he looks awful. Part of that is play calling...part of that is 1 main target...if Lee Evans is covered...it's 5 yard dump offs to the TE's and RB's. Oh, did I mention the TE's in Buffalo pretty much suck. I think Pete Metzelaars was the last good one they had.

I'm hoping TO and Evans on either side will stretch defenses a bit and they should both have some longball opportunities this year.

A large part of it is indeed play-calling. Before his concy he was near brilliant, had good numbers (94.55 passer rating) and they were 4-0, afterwards, he wasn't nearly the same player. If he is in the form he was the first few games, look out.

Then again they very well may flop just like last year.

Luckily I don't think Buffalo will have the pleasure of being subjected to the full range of TO-antics. I believe that with a one year deal he'll be on his best behavior, and Rosenhaus will ensure this, so that both of them can get another payday after this season.

I think you're right. Plus, it's Buffalo...what kind of trouble can TO get into? Let's just say I don't see him spending a whole lot of time in da clubs.

If there is one thing Edwards (and Losman...is he still on the team?) can do, it's throw a reasonably decent medium/deep ball, which is what TO thrives on. I think it's a real good move for the Bills, they've lacked a real WR threat for a long time. Evans is a nice player, but he can't do the same things Owens can. With Lynch, Evans, and TO now, they've got some playmakers on offense.

Worst thing about the Bills is Jauron. Look at that guy's career record, it's unbelievable he's had a head coaching gig this long, and the extension they signed him to last year is completely ridiculous.

I think you're right. Plus, it's Buffalo...what kind of trouble can TO get into? Let's just say I don't see him spending a whole lot of time in da clubs.

If there is one thing Edwards (and Losman...is he still on the team?) can do, it's throw a reasonably decent medium/deep ball, which is what TO thrives on. I think it's a real good move for the Bills, they've lacked a real WR threat for a long time. Evans is a nice player, but he can't do the same things Owens can. With Lynch, Evans, and TO now, they've got some playmakers on offense.

Worst thing about the Bills is Jauron. Look at that guy's career record, it's unbelievable he's had a head coaching gig this long, and the extension they signed him to last year is completely ridiculous.

Oh yeah...Ask Marshawn that question...

Didn't know this...the day Dallas released TO, Trent Edwards sent a text to Russ Brandon (Bills GM) and started the push to sign him.