Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I just wanted to share something real quick with this thread. I have read all 125 pages of this post and decided to purchase an X01 and end my 15 year hiatus of skate sharpening. A team mate of mine has been sharpening mine and my sons skates with the 100/75 FBV and I love it so much, which is why I decided to purchase the X01. After ordering online, I called Blackstone with some technical questions and spoke with Mark. Mark was extremely helpful, informative and professional and an all around good guy to talk to. After receiving my X01 on Tuesday, there was a slight issue with my order and I called once again and spoke with another representative, I think his name was Liam. Liam as well was extremely helpful and professional and rectified my issue. I can't say enough nice things about Blackstone and the caliber of people that they have working for them. They are truly a stand up company and they have my business from here on out. Their level customer service would be the deciding factor if I was ever on the fence between Blackstone and another company. Lucky for me, I don't ever plan on leaving the FBV so Blackstone is a no-brainer for me.

Edited by GunRunner

Has anyone else had problems with the FBV Stamping wearing off one the spinners? The stamping wears off and I have no idea what each one is. I have tried color coding them which works for a while. I installed a magnet based tool holder on my bench and have spots for each spinner to keep them organized but sometimes they get mixed up, like when I travel. They are too expensive to have to guess if you have the right one. Blackstone's advice was basically just don't mix them up.....that was not from Liam or Mark.....

Has anyone else had problems with the FBV Stamping wearing off one the spinners? The stamping wears off and I have no idea what each one is. I have tried color coding them which works for a while. I installed a magnet based tool holder on my bench and have spots for each spinner to keep them organized but sometimes they get mixed up, like when I travel. They are too expensive to have to guess if you have the right one. Blackstone's advice was basically just don't mix them up.....that was not from Liam or Mark.....

Mn it was from me, and I have been working on a solution, however it is not an easy one. We will soon have magnets with the correct numberin for said spinner. One of the issues was getting a strong enough magnet that will stay on the spinner while travelling. The other thing we are doing is developing small containers to house the spinners for travelling or just to organize them. We recognize the issue and are getting a solution.

• Like 1

I don't travel with my X01, but if I did I would get something like this for keeping my spinners organized. Mark each compartment with Sharpie to say what each spinner is.

http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?BCCID=127&PID=938

As it is, I have some hanging hooks on my sharpening bench, each spot is marked with the number of the spinner. If you take one off, you put it back in the right spot. You always know which spinner is in the machine because it's the empty hook (with label). When changing spinners you put the old spinner back on the hook before you pull the new spinner off. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

Looking to order a single mini spinner for an X01 (need a 5/8 ROH), anyone know of a source that won't kill me with shipping? Blackstone website says $28 for shipping on a single spinner (to the US).

I don't travel with my X01, but if I did I would get something like this for keeping my spinners organized. Mark each compartment with Sharpie to say what each spinner is.

http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?BCCID=127&PID=938

As it is, I have some hanging hooks on my sharpening bench, each spot is marked with the number of the spinner. If you take one off, you put it back in the right spot. You always know which spinner is in the machine because it's the empty hook (with label). When changing spinners you put the old spinner back on the hook before you pull the new spinner off. Easy peasy.

So do you take your spinner out every time u are done sharpening? Cuz that is the only way this works out. I know how to organize myself. I have my ways but on occasion in the heat of switching spinners or going for a time without sharpening it is ez pz to lose track of spinners. I don't think the stampings should wear off at $60 each. It may seem simple to organize them but once you lose track one time you are basically screwed out of $120 if you confuse 2 of them......I have used color with a sharpie and i have marked a magnetic plate on my sharpening bench with FBV #'s. They adhere fine to the plate.

So do you take your spinner out every time u are done sharpening? Cuz that is the only way this works out. I know how to organize myself. I have my ways but on occasion in the heat of switching spinners or going for a time without sharpening it is ez pz to lose track of spinners. I don't think the stampings should wear off at $60 each. It may seem simple to organize them but once you lose track one time you are basically screwed out of $120 if you confuse 2 of them......I have used color with a sharpie and i have marked a magnetic plate on my sharpening bench with FBV #'s. They adhere fine to the plate.

I leave a spinner in the machine all the time. I know which spinner is in the machine by the empty spot on my pegboard hooks. It does take some care to keep them organized. You're right, there should be a better marking system on the spinner itself.

I also keep mine on a pegboard that is marked with the measurements. I have found that cleaning the area marked with the hollow with steel wool or wire brush from time to time keeps it legible longer.

I also use a marked pegboard. But I have never had one rub off to the point of not being readable. I put the markings down (to the outside). MNpucker: Which way do you orient your spinners? Perhaps there is more rubbing one way than the other?

Edited by AfftonDad

I was always told stamped markings side "up" on this board and by Blackstone. There is a difference when it is flipped. I have to adjust the holder settings when the spinner is flipped, stamp down.

This brings up an observation I have always wondered about. It seems when I sharpen with marking UP my sparks seem to be very near the top edge of my dressing wheel. The spark line is definitely not in the middle of the wheel. That said, my edges are completely level every time as well so I am confident in my sharpening.

Curious if you notice the same thing? perhaps by flipping my spinner to markings down my spark line would be more centered on the wheel? Not that it matters, I am getting a great sharpening, just something I have been curious about.

I have always put the markings down. When I first got my sharpener, someone at Blackstone told me to do this, although he also said that it doesn't really matter... he said just be consistent and do it the same way each time. As you are probably aware, being centered isn't important as long as the entire blade remains on the wheel. It wasn't centered when I first got it, but I adjusted my arbor height very early in the game to move the setup to be more centered. I also re-calibrated my holder to level at the new height and I also use the pitch knob to keep it level as I'm adjusting the front knobs.

Similar story different direction it sounds like told me it didn't really matter either but pretty sure he said up Oh well maybe when I get new spinners I will go markings down and see what happens. Or maybe they will have deeper better stampings.

I pretty much have mine set up to do Mako's now. All of the skates I sharpen at Mako 2's. Kind of nice I don't have to really change anything other than spinners. So it remains level all the time.

The biggest problem IMO with FBV is the consistency/quality of the cut. You don't know how long LHSs are using each spinner. I'd venture to say most are using spinners that are past their prime, as they are very expensive to replace.

Edited by kovalchuk71

I also use a marked pegboard. But I have never had one rub off to the point of not being readable. I put the markings down (to the outside). MNpucker: Which way do you orient your spinners? Perhaps there is more rubbing one way than the other?

I e-mailed Blackstone about the orientation of the spinner and they told me that the numbers always faces the ceiling.

Does anyone in the US have a source for grinding wheels for the X series machines? Nothing against Blackstone but I hate to pay $28 shipping for an $18 wheel and I don't want to buy $150 worth of wheels to get free shipping. If there was someone in the US that stocked the wheels and spinners and kept the cost down by shipping USPS, that would be great.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how to adjust the height of the grinding wheel against the center of the spinner for an X02 ? Because the wheel is to low which is ok for player-skates but to low for goalie-skates. I used to put a thin piece of plastic under the wheel but i think this causes some whobbling.

Does anyone in the US have a source for grinding wheels for the X series machines? Nothing against Blackstone but I hate to pay $28 shipping for an $18 wheel and I don't want to buy $150 worth of wheels to get free shipping. If there was someone in the US that stocked the wheels and spinners and kept the cost down by shipping USPS, that would be great.

Only place I've seen is puckshop.com, but they mark up the price of the wheels so it negates the cheaper ($14.) shipping. Buying one Orange wheel would come to $46 from either place.

Only place I've seen is puckshop.com, but they mark up the price of the wheels so it negates the cheaper ($14.) shipping. Buying one Orange wheel would come to $46 from either place.

Thanks for the info, I happened to stumble on their website trying to search for someone in the US. They didn't have the 4" wheels listed so I emailed them to see if they had them. If they jack the price up on the wheels to equal Blackstone's price, then I will give Blackstone my business over them. Too bad someone couldn't get set up as a supplier in the states for just the accessories and sell them that way. The $28 shipping charge isn't really that bad considering it's an international shipment, but it's just hard to swallow when it turns an $18 wheel into $46. Again, not Blackstones fault it just is what it is.

Does anyone know how to adjust the height of the grinding wheel against the center of the spinner for an X02 ? Because the wheel is to low which is ok for player-skates but to low for goalie-skates. I used to put a thin piece of plastic under the wheel but i think this causes some whobbling.

You have to adjust the arbor (the thing the wheel sits on). You have to use an allen wrench to loosen the set screw that is in the hole on the side of the arbor. Then the arbor will move up and down easily on the shaft. The secret piece of information that you have to know though is that there are TWO set screws (one behind the other) in the hole. You would have no way of knowing that there is a second one in there unless someone told you. Once you get BOTH of the screws loosened, then it will move. It's a pretty tedious trial and error process (at least it was for me) to get it perfectly centered though.

Edited by AfftonDad