Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Just a random observation: Got a fresh edge from Spree this weekend- amazing how much more drive I get coming out of crossovers with these, especially for a big guy. Love it.

guys, i'm having a major brain lapse here. i typically skate on 1/2" ROH, but im felling like i need a bit more bite lately, which direction should i go?

i know this is the blackstone thread, but i dont want to start a new one for this lame question that i SHOULD know the answer to.

guys, i'm having a major brain lapse here. i typically skate on 1/2" ROH, but im felling like i need a bit more bite lately, which direction should i go?

i know this is the blackstone thread, but i dont want to start a new one for this lame question that i SHOULD know the answer to.

7/16 or 3/8, depending on how much more bite you want.

i was working backwards, i knew i'd used 3/8 before but i couldn't remember if it was too much bite, or not nearly enough.

looks like 7/16 is the one.

5.5 hp, 5 gallon. It is available at most stores, different color depending on where you go. You might be confused about the hose diameter? This vac has the lock on hose and the stock hose is 1.5". The threaded connector however is 2.5"! Huge bonus, I was looking for connectors and adapters everywhere and there is not one. The 2.5 inch hose threads directly onto the vac and I hose clamped it for good measure.

mnpucker - how loud do you find that Shop Vac ? I have a Ridgid shop vac and I really ought to be using hearing protection with it, it is so loud.

I see a similar looking Shop Vac at the lowes.ca website which I would buy just for use with the X01, but if it is as loud as my Ridgid, it'd be a no-go. I looked at some Fein and Festool shop vacs but they are out of my price range.

Anybody order the child/youth tri-lie holder ?

I bought one specifically for use with children's skates, but 2 out of 3 of the smaller sized skates I've put on, will not fit. There's not enough room between the jaws of the holder and the back part to clear the height of the bottom part of some skate holders.

- smallest pair of CCM Lil'Tykes: works

- next size up of CCM Lil Tykes: does not clear

- old pair of CCM skates, approx size 5-5.5: holder does not clear

Looking at the holder, it seems that all it would need would be a spacer between the back of the holder and the base - maybe a 1/2 cm would allow it to clear all the skates I've tried. I could possibly have one machined myself, but why would they be designed like this ?

I'm confused as it seems like the last pair of skates would be encountered reasonably frequently. I studied the Blackstone pictures and cannot tell what the difference is between the 2 holders, EXCEPT that one of the "jaws" on the youth holder looks bigger.

I so wanna get a 90/75 done. I might next time I run through Orlando if JR is in his shop but I'm mildly concerned because I'm just becoming a good skater on a normal sharpening now and don't want to mess with my mojo.

I got a regular sharpening today after being on FBV for a couple months. Man what a difference. I felt slow and like I was stuck to the ice. I am going to drive the extra 30 min to get FBV done. Worth the drive.

Off topic for current posts but I wanted to report on my FBV/X02 ownership experience. I have owned my X02 for just over a year now, I believe I may have had one of the early releases of the X02. Upon reading posts from the very begining of this thread I was sold on the concept and decided that I would wait to try the FBV and X02 in particular instead of buying the Wissota or E-z sharp. I had never sharpened skates previously and had the same concerns people have when considering making the purchase.

Upon receiving the X02 i was greeted with great customer service. Being a newby I appreciated the companies willingness to be patient with me, answering every question and concern I had. When I called with questions I never once felt pressured for time they were great to deal with and never made me feel like an idiot. Sharpening became easy and enjoyable with their help.

Awhile back I reported that I went a period of time without hearing back from soemone at Blackstone. I contacted them with concerns about my original holder. I since learned that I was sending my request to a bad email address. Once I got my question to an the customer service people my problem was dealt with swiftly.

Why am I chiming in today? because I am over a year into ownership of the X02 and I realized today just how much I appreciate owning a skate sharpener moreover owning a Blackstone X02. I have spent a lot of money on my sharpening station (a lot for me). I am the kind of guy that can look back on big ticket purchases and have buyers remorse. Not in this case. The convenience of sharpening at home is as valuable as the quality of the product or the perfromance of the FBV. But when you add the customer service I have experienced I feel I made the right decision. Believe it or not my wife actually appreciates it as well. It keeps me out of the LHS saving us money! Sorry LHS' I still spend my share trust me.

I hope this helps those of you considering your options. I want to say I am just a hockey dad that coaches a lot. I play 1 or 2 times a week but coach 5-6 days a week 365 days a year. I have 2 boys that also play year round. I am pretty certain I am already on the down hill side of the value debate. I have no link to any retailer or manufacturer. I do not sharpen for income. I just really appreciate the product and the people of Blackstone.

mnpucker (or others), I read a few pages back that you are now using the upgraded x-series (tri-lie like?) holder... what is the smallest size skates you've used with this holder? Have you encountered any problems with a smaller skate?

I'm looking at getting an X01 in the next 6 months with the main use being sharpening my kids skates... currently youth 11.5 and junior 2, but I have a 1.5 year old that will be skating in a couple of years. Worried from some previous posts in this thread that the holder will have issues with youth skates.

Smallest has been jr 4 - 5.5 for me but I can do you a favor and try to sharpen some of the small skates I have laying around the house and report back.

One thing I can report is that the X12 requires less vertical adjustment between skates and the hold is rock steady. A very nice improvement over the original holder. I primarily sharpen One 95's X60's and XXXX's from Junior to adult sizes.

Set the Pitch knob to have 1/2"-5/8" clearance from the base

-my spring did not have the tension to hold so I inserted a 3/16" thick washer with a 1/2" opening

>-I have it set at a hair under 9/16"

-Steve was adamant to leave it alone so I made a reference mark in case someone tinkers with it

What should I do if I have adjusted the pitch knob by some unknown amount ? Like a dummy, when I got mine I twirled the dials around to see what they did. Only afterwards did I discover a loose note me not to do that ....: :o-0

And if the pitch is not supposed to be adjusted - why is it there and why is it adjustable ?

mnpucker (or others), I read a few pages back that you are now using the upgraded x-series (tri-lie like?) holder... what is the smallest size skates you've used with this holder? Have you encountered any problems with a smaller skate?

I'm looking at getting an X01 in the next 6 months with the main use being sharpening my kids skates... currently youth 11.5 and junior 2, but I have a 1.5 year old that will be skating in a couple of years. Worried from some previous posts in this thread that the holder will have issues with youth skates.

I couldn't mount a youth 11-1 (IIRC) CCM Lil Tyke - the skate holder was too thick to clear the "jaws" on the Youth holder. However, I could mount the smaller sized Lil Tyke - I guess the dimensions of the bottom part of the skate holder differs a bit.

I also had the same problem with an old pair of CCM skates, I am guessing junior size 5 or 5.5.

Not sure what someone is supposed to do in those situations short of clamping the holder itself. The runners do not come out of the holder on any of these skates :(

goblue, I am using the X12 Tri Lie holder now and I have sharpened size 1 skates without a problem. Smaller than that might be a problem. I mounted a Youth 9 and the lower jaw steel was longer than the skate steel so I could not do the toe and heel of the blade without hitting the holder on the grinding wheel. I will likely have to bring them to a shop if I ever want to get them sharpened. Or I thought of making a new, shorter lower jaw, it's just a piece of flat stock with some holes drilled in it for mounting. Don't worry, the kids will grow so fast you will not be sharpening small skates for long!

The hardest skates to do by far, are small goalie skates. It's because of the large cowling, probably the same reason Nuggy is struggling with the CCM Lil Tykes. Try flipping the skate over so you are grinding the toe first. That's what I always had to do with one of my son's 1.0 goalie skates. Oddly enough my Graf G3's had the same problem and I always had to mount 1 skate toe first. The outside of the skate would hit the holder causing an uneven clamping.

Nuggy, the pitch knob has a wide range of adjustment, you can turn it a lot and it will make little difference at the blade. If you want to reset it, you can measure the distance between the pitch knob and base and make it the same as the front knob to base distance. Or just mount a skate and eye it up with the wheel. The skate blade should be parallel to the top surface of the wheel, or look like this ](, where ] is the skate blade, and ( is your grinding wheel(regular hollow, no FBV). The knob is there for adjustment if need be, most people do not use it for anything after the initial setup. I think Blackstone warns you not to touch it because it's one more variable to contend with if you're new to skate sharpening. It's easier to just concentrate on the 2 front dials and not really necessary to adjust the pitch.

I have been taking my skates across the city for the V, I noticed that the Sport Check 2 mins away now has the V, I haven't used sport check in years, skate sharpening as always been a numbers game for them, not quality.

Would/do you take your blades to sportcheck for the V?

Edited by tro

I was told the distance between the holder and the bottom plate should 1/2". Here is the message from Blackstone:

"No worries – you can reset the holder. Measure the space in between the bottom plate (plate with the felt pad on it) and the top plate (black piece). Make sure that the measurement in between the plates are 1/2 inch. This will get you very close to where you need to be. After that, you can try sharpening and then make the necessary adjustments to get level again."

They have been great all along, but I am considering the new holder myself.

A store somewhat close to me (hour drive) just got one in but it's really out of the way, I never go out that way for anything except the odd game. But I want to try this so bad =/ Hopefully a store just a little closer gets it.

I have sharpened youth 11.5's on the upgraded holder and X-01 but I need to use a relatively new wheel because of the heel/toe clearance. I cut off the front corners of the holder baseplate to improve the heel/toe clearance situation. I do Jr. 2,3,4's all the time.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the height setting for the UPGRADED holder's pitch wheel should be (I haven't moved my pitch wheel but I'd like to check it)?

Hi guys,

Starting to get a hang of the x-01. Is it worth buy rocker bar guides? As well I assume I would have to get a cross grinder? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You can't use shaper bars on the X0 series sharpeners.

They can be used only on machines that have Accepts Blackstone Shaping System in product description on Blackstone's site

Without trying to sound like an absolute skeptic, as who wouldn't be completely enticed by greater speed, efficiency and control, especially as there are very few negative comments about FBV in this thread, (admittedly only read the first 35 pages and then skipped the last 10), BUT... I have some issue, not with the result or even the theory of this 'technology', but more the practicality or perhaps the potential issues with FBV, like consistency. There are alot of comments on how their new FBV grind performed and a lot of differentiating results on some of the very same grinds. And how does one know if the grind they say they were given, is actually what they received?

Wouldn't the very thickness of ones blade determine what FBV grind they should be given in relation to their old ROH?

I mean the flat is a constant .090" or .100" inch, so the only variable can be how much material is left in the width. ( I haven't yet, but will be measuring a couple of pairs when I get home).

Then you are setting a fixed depth of the grind (correct?) The less material in the width of the blade the less the angle of the edge itself, causing more bite.

According to the chart more flat width = more bite.

I would have to assume :rolleyes: that there is a large variance in steel from mfg. to mfg. and even skate to skate, so even a minute change in thickness, .005", .010", .020" has to affect your edge or bite outcome. I mean the only available change between the flat grind is only ten thousands of an inch or .005" thousands per side (of center).

Now take your local 16 yo Sportchek employee who doesn't have that wheel dead center. You're going to reduce one edge or the other in thickness even more.

Does any one see where I'm going with this?

Don't get me wrong, obviously i can't judge until I try it, and hopefully take advantage of the supposed benefits, but it just seems to me that the good ol ROH would be a little more forgiving in terms of consistency, and we all know how well that has worked out.

So at $10.00 bucks a crack, is this fool proof or is it going to cost $40.00 to get it right?

Also, (please don't slam the messenger) but I was told by my LHS (the only reputable shop in town that I would trust to tune my Dialysis machine, if they did that), that the FBV technology has been around since the 80's.

And that there have been attachments around for sharpeners etc... etc... that had never taken off in the past... ecomomics and all that.

nuff said, and that in advance for the constructive criticism.

And how does one know if the grind they say they were given, is actually what they received?

I know there is controversy over the FBV and people are concerned about how in theory, there can be a bad sharpening and the margin of error is very small.

I think the bottom line is, do you trust the place you go get your sharpening? Forget FBV or any other type, do you actually trust the person doing the sharpening?

The guy I go to has FBV and I know and trust him completely that he would only do something that he truly believes will help me. If he didn't believe in it, he wouldn't have it there.

If he didn't have FBV, I wouldn't go elsewhere to get it.

I have had mine and my 3 kids skates done by him for many years. I like my skates sharp so I have them done every 6 to 10 times on the ice (approximately every week and a half to 2 weeks). I have never, ever had a bad sharpening.

Would I go to the local sports retail chain to get my skates sharpened? No, no matter whether they have FBV or any other kind, I would not, because I don't trust whatever kid happens to be working that day to sharpen my skates.

I think it is better to be more concerned with the person doing the sharpening than the machine and stones they are using.

OK, I finally tried to sharpen my first pair of skates on my X01 (thanks to the nice guys at Stevenson's Source for Sports in Orillia who gave me a free pair of beater skates).

However, I seem to be at an impasse. No matter how many passes I make, I can't seem to get a hollow onto the runners - they look flat, even when put against a straight edge (can't see much light between them), and they feel flat to my fingers.

I have put my spinner up against the wheel, and the "hollow" matches fairly well - can't see much light between them. But it looks like the wheel isn't putting any hollow on the runners. I know I am taking steel off the runners because they were very rusty when I got them, and now they are gleaming.

The only way I can see this happening is if my blade were narrow than the width of the flat in the FBV, but this seems unlikely ? I have no idea what make the skates are... it was a sort of plastic-y shell with no company markings that I could identify.

Does this make any sense ? Am I missing something completely obvious, or doing something really stupid ?