Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Biggest Busts

The other day I was thinking about equipment that didn't quite live up to its producer's hype.

The two that immediately came to mind for me were the RBK 9k O-Stick and the CCM X-Ray Helmet. Perhaps Tuuk Lightspeed 2 Power Holders.

What else fits in the discussion?

(Edit - Try to include a picture if it's something most wouldn't recall)

Not sure if it had much hype...but does anyone else remember the Hespeler blades that had a full shaft offset built in? I can't remember the name but hopefully someone else here will be able to name it/pic it for us. I believe the idea was that it would delay the release of the shot and enable kids (I distinctly remember these being on JR. sticks) to whip the shaft through the shot easier. Anyone?

EDIT: The old Easton Runners that couldn't fit into sharpeners, and those Louisville Lockjaw blades (replaceable blades requiring no heat or glue!).

1597_1.JPG

stickblade_louisv_lockjaw.jpg

Mission Carbster and three finger gloves. Great products, people just weren't ready for them at the time.

Not sure if it had much hype...but does anyone else remember the Hespeler blades that had a full shaft offset built in?

Are you talking about the offset blades or the bowed shaft?

Not sure if it had much hype...but does anyone else remember the Hespeler blades that had a full shaft offset built in?

Are you talking about the offset blades or the bowed shaft?

The offset replaceable blades. I remember them coming stock in Hespeler's all black with a red H logo shafts...Didn't even know they had bowed shafts back in the day. Were they bought out?

and my other vote, brooklynite

Zing, +1

EDIT: The old Easton Runners that couldn't fit into sharpeners, and those Louisville Lockjaw blades (replaceable blades requiring no heat or glue!).

How did those lockjaws work again?

Didn't you expand the hosel by turning a screw in the bottom of the blade or something like that?

Offset blade essentially made a half inch curve into a larger curve, making it easier to lift the puck on the forehand.

Bought out by Forzani. I actually put together a group of people who had some interest but Huffy's lawyers told us they were selling out as one unit, not piecemeal. Two weeks later they sold Hespeler to Forzani.

How did those lockjaws work again?

Didn't you expand the hosel by turning a screw in the bottom of the blade or something like that?

Yeah, the 3 inch piece of wood that was inserted into the shaft was cut lengthwise down the middle and had a screw on the top that expanded the pieces to hold the blade tight. A hole was drilled from the tightening screw down to practically the heel (think prehistoric U+ channel) and it came with a 10 inch long "screwdriver". Pretty ingenious I must say, but considering most LHS will install a blade for ya free, basically moot.

Offset blade essentially made a half inch curve into a larger curve, making it easier to lift the puck on the forehand.

Chadd, the reasoning to essentially give players the feel and ease of shooting forehand with a larger than 1/2" curve without putting an illegal (3/4" or what it might be) curve on their sticks? If that's the case were any officials up in arms about this? Then again they couldn't have sold any other than at the Bantam level so maybe not...

Yeah, the 3 inch piece of wood that was inserted into the shaft was cut lengthwise down the middle and had a screw on the top that expanded the pieces to hold the blade tight. A hole was drilled from the tightening screw down to practically the heel (think prehistoric U+ channel) and it came with a 10 inch long "screwdriver". Pretty ingenious I must say, but considering most LHS will install a blade for ya free, basically moot.

That "screwdriver" sounds very familiar. I think my dad may have bought me one when I was a little tyke.

It also reminds me of the time my blade was beginning to split the shaft, so he put 3 screws through the shaft and hosel to hold it together.

Pops always had the quick fix...

I never played the position, but anyone know the name/pics of the goalie stick whose handle looked like a loop-de-loop of the local SixFlag's roller coaster?

Mission Carbster and three finger gloves. Great products, people just weren't ready for them at the time.

Loved the 3 finger Glove , not sure i would use them now but back when i was young, the gimmick of the 3 fingers gave me the urge to by them, when i did couldn't get enough of them

Didn't Bauer have some funky way of attaching a blade to a shaft?

CooperAlls are another that come to mind.

I never played the position, but anyone know the name/pics of the goalie stick whose handle looked like a loop-de-loop of the local SixFlag's roller coaster?

Curtis curve?

He beat me to it. ^

Haha that is the one! I was on Google Images searching "Curtis Joseph hockey" but never saw him in action with that stick. Did he ever dabble with it? Or was it a 'Just-for-Retail' item?

Didn't Bauer have some funky way of attaching a blade to a shaft?

CooperAlls are another that come to mind.

That would be the Harpoon Latch system. I just glued those blades in.