Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Biggest Busts

9kO is now in it's second iteration with the 8.0.8 coming out. None of the sticks from the current "geometry war" have gone the way of the dodo, so they haven't flopped.... yet. And CCM looks to be joining with the Octo Gun.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that the 9k wasn't a flop considering how relentlessly it was advertised, even long before its release.

Edit - Grammatical error haunted me.

9kO is now in it's second iteration with the 8.0.8 coming out. None of the sticks from the current "geometry war" have gone the way of the dodo, so they haven't flopped.... yet. And CCM looks to be joining with the Octo Gun.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that the 9k wasn't a flop considering how relentlessly it was advertised, even long before its release.

Edit - Grammatical error haunted me.

Juniors sold like hotcakes, seniors didn't, but Rustpot is right - there is a new version of it therefore doesn't necessarily qualify YET.

Juniors sold like hotcakes, seniors didn't, but Rustpot is right - there is a new version of it therefore doesn't necessarily qualify YET.

I was actually just wondering about that, as the advertising seemed too cheesy to catch on with adults, but looked like it may have resonated with youngsters.

I've scarcely ever seen them around rinks in the hands of adults though. I was offered a free one where I work. I thought about taking it to turn around and sell it... but ultimately decided not to. I've heard nothing but bad things about that twig.

I was actually just wondering about that, as the advertising seemed too cheesy to catch on with adults, but looked like it may have resonated with youngsters.

I've scarcely ever seen them around rinks in the hands of adults though. I was offered a free one where I work. I thought about taking it to turn around and sell it... but ultimately decided not to. I've heard nothing but bad things about that twig.

It's a brand new way of doing things, bound to have problems. The 8.0.8 may be better balanced with the U+ blade, which would make it a good stick if the taper/hole area stands up.

I got a 9k from cougarscaptain for pretty cheap. Terrible stick. I thought it would flop and wanted one for the collection. Reebok probably invested too much money and marketing to drop it without one more shot I guess.

I knew a lot of kids when I was coaching that were only using the 9k O stick because their parents bought it for them, and they couldn't get rid of it.

I do not know if they were a huge bust do you remember about 12 or so years ago CCM came out the the skates with kevlar (752 I think).

I had Kevlar 852's for years, just replaced them after coming back to hockey after a 6 year layoff. They were awesome skates, held up really well and were great for taking shots in the foot. Seemed pretty popular too as they were second only to the 952's in the tack range at the time.

I'd buy them again for sure.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned (or did I miss it?) but that old Koho fibreglass stick from the 80's that was blue and yellow comes to mind.

And you can't ignore a helmet that was a bust twice - that Vic that flopped before Sherwood bought the mold so it could flop with another name.

Easton octane shaft.

Not a bust at all, it sells very well. It's not supposed to be a high performance stick.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned (or did I miss it?) but that old Koho fibreglass stick from the 80's that was blue and yellow comes to mind.

And you can't ignore a helmet that was a bust twice - that Vic that flopped before Sherwood bought the mold so it could flop with another name.

Once again, one of those sticks that didn't sell because there was nothing like it out there. Same with Busch.

The Airflo helmet is a perfect example of a bust.

Didn't Bauer have some funky way of attaching a blade to a shaft?

CooperAlls are another that come to mind.

Bauer did have a blade that had rubber on the hosel. No gloue required. I saw more then a few come off!!!

I agree on Cooperall! Remember those flyers pants. Ugh!!!!! Almost as ugly as the old Canucks jersey!!!

Hocks.

The offset blade was originally called UB Offset - Gene Ubriaco invented it.

Someone covered me on the Tuuk V2.

maybe you didn't like the Tuuk V2 because you had hard time sharpening it??? :lol:

Saw someone mention this before but the Trilage triangular hockey stick. That was a big gimmick that never really hit but if I'm not mistaken, don't they still make one pieces?

Cooperalls were not a bust. The girdle still sells strong 25 years later. The long pants were used by all three Canadian major junior leagues for a number of years. The NHL banned the Flyers and Whalers from wearing the long pants. The pants worn by the Flyers were the first time a black silhouette was presented all the way down the leg. No NHL team had black socks at that time. Some NHL goalies did not like the all black leg when looking for the puck. Once the NHL banned the long pants the end was in sight. The NHL banned the long pants to keep a uniform look across the league. The original Cooperalls were offered with short shells back then, too. Hardly a bust.

Hocks.

The offset blade was originally called UB Offset - Gene Ubriaco invented it.

Someone covered me on the Tuuk V2.

For those unfamiliar:

http://www.gohocks.com/hockey/index.php

Yup, hocks were a bust for sure. I don't think I even sold one at regular price. I told them, they needed to make the upper in black, not white. They looked like a tidy whitey sewn onto socks. If they were black, they would have sold.

I don't understand how that could ever be considered a bust........????

The entire drive revolves around a charitable donation which actually benefits YOU. :blink:

I remember about 10 years ago some company made a very hard plastic hockey tape for your blade. It had little texture bumps on it and would just crack when you played with it.