Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

habsfan87

08-09 Montreal Canadiens Thread

The Russian newspapers seem to be the hockey equivalent of entertainment gossip magazines...I take whatever they say with a grain of salt. With that said, Koivu is a classy hard working player, but he's not worth over $5 million a season at this point in his career. If the Canadiens can sign him for less than that then they should, but if he's asking for more than that they should let him go (and I'll also be sad to see him go).

As for Kovalev, the guy is unbelievably talented, but he takes far too many nights off to be worth up to 7.5 million. He's also a big distraction at times so even if they could sign him for much less it may be time to just let him go and try to spend the cash on another talented forward who can put up some points, but is more consistent.

Komisarek is a good defencemen who had a poor season this year. I definitely don't think he's worth the 6 million he's asking for (if that's the case), but some team may pay him that much. The $4 million the Russian paper claims the Canadiens are offering seems closer to what he's actually worth at this point.

hockeysc23 Posted Today, 11:08 AM

QUOTE (RadioGaGa @ May 27 2009, 10:48 AM)

Sad to see Koivu go (if htis is true)....but Kovalev played well with the "C" last year...when he had it....

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280075

Wonder where Koivu might go. I wouldn't mind to see him on the Caps as we need a 2nd line center. As a Habs fan do you think he has a lot left in the tank or is on the decline?

I know this was directed at Radio, but as a Habs fan my opinion is that Koivu can still be an effective second line centre, work the special teams and can score in shootouts. He's past his prime, but is still a good signing for any team if he's expected to be a second or third line player (and is paid accordingly) and not the top line player he's been most of his career.

I know this was directed at Radio, but as a Habs fan my opinion is that Koivu can still be an effective second line centre, work the special teams and can score in shootouts. He's past his prime, but is still a good signing for any team if he's expected to be a second or third line player (and is paid accordingly) and not the top line player he's been most of his career.

I agree. Put him in a position to be a secondary player, and he will help ANY team. Sadly his 'prime' was cut short by knee injuries and cancer. I think if he had been healthy for his entire career in Montreal, he's have put up really big numbers and he'd be easily talked about as a potential HOF'er.

Jacques Martin as head coach....uggggggggghhhhh. There goes the offensive part of the Habs' game. Hope everyone enjoys boring ass hockey a la Panthers. Brutal!

PC on tsn.ca right now...FYI

No word on who stays on as Assistants. Lever's future was not addressed. Rollie Melanson is out a Goalie Coach.

I wonder if some of the rumours on the Habs Board are true...and Olaf Kolzig may be on his way to Montreal as the new Goalie coach. He has a history with Carey. May be a good guy to have there with him.

Jacques Martin as head coach....uggggggggghhhhh. There goes the offensive part of the Habs' game. Hope everyone enjoys boring ass hockey a la Panthers. Brutal!

I'm a Habs fan and I didn't really see too much of an offensive part to their game this season. With that in mind...having a defensive mind might not be too bad. <_<

I'm a Habs fan and I didn't really see too much of an offensive part to their game this season. With that in mind...having a defensive mind might not be too bad. <_<

The first thing I thought was 'Ah crap...boring hockey" but then I started thinking about it.

1. TSN showed his Ottawa numbers...he had some real offensive teams.

2. Ottawa pretty much OWNED Montreal when he coached there.

3. 'Boring' hockey has worked in New Jersey...and some have called Detroit 'boring'! Yeah...5 Cups in 12 years...I'd take boring anyday.

Read somewhere that Mario Trembley could be added as a Ass. coach. I guess that means Roy won't be part of the staff...

Nah, that was probably something they had planned to do all along once they hired Martin. They're probably looking to get a coach similar to Martin's style so they can have a seamless transition for callups/prospects.

Nah, that was probably something they had planned to do all along once they hired Martin. They're probably looking to get a coach similar to Martin's style so they can have a seamless transition for callups/prospects.

Yeah...but the number of current Habs that have come through that current coachign staff in Hamilton (as the article points out) makes it a curious decision. Lever/Wilson have a pretty damn good record of getting guys ready to make the jump from AHL to NHL. I guess with a pretty big AHL turnover coming they want fresh hands on the farm...I hope it works out for them.

The idea is to have one philosophy in your system so that you can continue to have guys coming from the farm, and here's the important part, fitting in right away with the system of the big club.

The idea is to have one philosophy in your system so that you can continue to have guys coming from the farm, and here's the important part, fitting in right away with the system of the big club.

Don & Jacques don't seem that far off each other. Both want strict defensive responsibility...but still allow skill players room to do 'their thing'.

Oh well...Don & Ron will find work somewhere else, I'm sure...and I'll be interested to see who Bob/Jacques/Julien put in Hamilton.

Well it's official, Bouillon won't be back with the Habs next year. Looks like they told Dandy they won't sign him either. I guess Weber is pretty much a shoe-in for next season...I'd also love to see Subban in the mix. To see what he can bring. They're saying on RDS that Komisarek is the only player that they have made an offer to out of all the free agents. My guess is that Komisarek probably wants to go to NY (islanders mostly)or somewhere like that. We'll see!

Ronaldo can score :P BUT I'm still pissed he's going to Real Madrid.

And I second the koivu comment...

They gave McDonagh in that trade!? And Gomez had only 16 goals last year? I'm glad we finally have that big center we wanted but i'm not convinced... not to talk about his salary...