Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

habsfan87

08-09 Montreal Canadiens Thread

I think Markov is still playing hard and well. That 2nd goal seemed to deflate them tonight, though...

Yes, but really night in and night out...Max Lapierre has been their best player this year...how sad is that?!?!?!?

At this point, I don't even know why updating what this team does is even necessary...but they called up Sergei Kostitsyn from Hamilton. I wonder if they'll play him in a scoring role...or put him with Lapierre and Kostopolous...oh, wait...those are the only 2 guys who have been scoring lately.

*sigh*

It's pretty dreadful.

I think Cherry may have put his finger on a key moment for Price: getting lit-up just after returning from injury in the Rookie vs Sophmore game. Shinny can be really unpleasant for a highly competitive goalie, and that was basically the ultimate shinny game in the best and worst senses of that.

The Habs post-all-star look eerily like the Sens of the last 12 months...

Hmmm i dont know true that could be but that's really not something you would like to see from an NHL goalie he knows the difference between practise/shinny and real game time or so i hope because if that hurted his confidence that much well id rather see halak working hard.

Wanna buy a struggling (yet historic) NHL franchise?:

Mar 23 2009 10:40:00 - Source: BN [broadcast News]

NHL Canadiens Sale

MONTREAL - The Montreal Canadiens may be for sale.

American George Gillett, who bought the NHL team and the Bell

Centre in 2001, has retained financial firms in Canada and around

the world to `optimize the value' of his holdings in sports,

entertainment and other businesses.

That includes the possible sale of the Canadiens, although team

president Pierre Boivin said the league's oldest franchise is no

danger of going out of business.

`The Gillett family has retained the services of financial

advisers to assess various strategic alternatives to optimize the

value of its corporate assets,' Boivin said in a statement Monday.

`In Canada, the family has retained the services of BMO Capital

Markets and the process is underway.'

Gillett owns 80.1 per cent of the Canadiens and the Bell Centre.

He also owns 50 per cent of English soccer giant Liverpool, and

owns the Gillett Evernham NASCAR team, event promoter Gillett

Entertainment Group, ski resorts, car dealerships and agricultural

companies.

(The Canadian Press)

It's pretty dreadful.

I think Cherry may have put his finger on a key moment for Price: getting lit-up just after returning from injury in the Rookie vs Sophmore game. Shinny can be really unpleasant for a highly competitive goalie, and that was basically the ultimate shinny game in the best and worst senses of that.

The Habs post-all-star look eerily like the Sens of the last 12 months...

Do you really think that was the case? I thought that was a pretty weak point Cherry made, but then again I'm sure he (and you) are more in tune with the psyche of a netminder than myself. I find it hard to believe though that someone like Price couldn't just realize that the RvS game is just for fun, and obviously you are going to get lit up. You never hear the same argument made about a young D-man like Schenn being scarred for life getting dangled in a game like that.

Habs looked brutal Saturday night. Kovalev was a complete non-factor, I almost forgot he was even playing until he made a brutal giveaway on one of the PP's. I have to admit, it was nice to see Grabovski have a big night...even if he is a little shit.

I really don't think getting lit up at an All Star game on breakaways and odd man rushes should completly crush any pro goalie young or old, but I'm not a goalie or Carey Price so can't be sure. Both goalies have given up some soft goals over the last few months and the fact that Price couldn't make one save in the shootout against the Rangers (Drury's shot seemed to be a shot at him he somehow let through) was disappointing, but all the blame can't be levelled at the goalies.

The team as a whole hasn't been playing well - Komiserek has been less effective since he got injured vs. Boston in his fight with Lucic. Tanguay being hurt for most of the second half didn't help and then getting the flu hurt as well...he's played OK since he came back, but it does take some time to get your game back after injury and sickness...time the Canadiens don't necessarily have though. Kovalev is invisible or terrible for several games and then turns it on once in a while - Saturday against the Leafs was the worst I've seen him play in a while...easy passes bounced off his stick, he gave the puck away ect. Laraque is slow out there, rarely fights and really hasn't added much value this year when he's in the lineup.

Some of the team is working hard - I do see effort from Koivu, Kostopolous, Latendresse, Higgins and especially Lapierre. Plekanec has also picked it up in the second half after a poor first half of the season. Markov has been good at both ends of the ice as usual.

The problem is that you can't have only a handful of guys trying and playing well and get the results. To get into the playoffs they need to get better goal tending from whoever is in net, Kovalev needs to play like he can or be benched again, and Larague should be benched in favour of a more effective player like Dagostini or S. Kostitsyn (if he decides to play like he can and not take stupid penalties like he was earlier).

Carolina beat Florida tonight. ANOTHER bullet dodged by the Habs. Now, all they have to do is something to help themselves.

[EDIT]: Ah crap...OT loss...so they're tied with Montreal. Yikes.

You would be amazed how much something like that can dog a goalie. Confidence is everything. Look at Price's body language since the ASG: almost every goal is accompanied by a gesture of futility, a hopeless look at a defenceman.

That can manifest as being an inch further back in the net, or having your arms just a little tighter to your sides, your hands just a little further back, your head just a little stiffer on your neck - suddenly a few more saves are goals. In Price's case, it's chiefly his depth in the net, the decisiveness of his skating, and the position of his hands (especially his glove hand) relative to the plane of his body.

Think about the sheer statistics. The difference between a terrific NHL goalie and a terrible NHL goalie may be roughly given, in terms of save percentage, as between .920 and .860 -- that's a difference of SIX shots out of A HUNDRED, all coming at NHL speed under NHL pressure.

Shave the tiniest margin off the top of your game, and you've gone from hero to goat.

Gillett's considering his options and maybe selling the team!

I didn't watch the game long enough last Sat. to realize that they were being booed again... but it's encouraging that Gainey has reinforced each player's roles and expectations.

Well THAT is something to build on. Maybe if Tanguay/Koivu/Kovalev had been together as soon as Tangs came back...some of this downfall could have been averted.

Overall good night for the Organization. Dogs won 6-1.

You can say what you want about this being in bad taste...but I have to say, I wasn't sorry to see Lapierre give it to Kaleta tonight. The guy runs around like a fucking retard, throws a LOT of questionable/borderline hits and runs his mouth non-stop - but then backs down when someone challenges him (usually letting a guy like Gaustad clean-up his mess for him). The guy is a gutless scumbag. As much as I hate seeing another hockey player get hurt, he had this coming.

I was also fortunate enough to be on the glass about 15' away when May went after Kaleta in the Toronto/Buffalo game Friday night...and I didn't stop clapping for about five minutes.

You can say what you want about this being in bad taste...but I have to say, I wasn't sorry to see Lapierre give it to Kaleta tonight. The guy runs around like a fucking retard, throws a LOT of questionable/borderline hits and runs his mouth non-stop - but then backs down when someone challenges him (usually letting a guy like Gaustad clean-up his mess for him). The guy is a gutless scumbag. As much as I hate seeing another hockey player get hurt, he had this coming.

I was also fortunate enough to be on the glass about 15' away when May went after Kaleta in the Toronto/Buffalo game Friday night...and I didn't stop clapping for about five minutes.

I assume the Sabres will be sending that to the League....any news on suspension for Lappy?

Les Boys looked good tonight - Price especially.

Last time I saw him look that confident in net....was in Hamilton. Calder Cup MVP.

It still boggles my mind that putting Koivu/Kovalev/Tanguay together took SOOO long.

Just got a PR from the Bulldogs....Denis has been called up?????? WTH? If Halak or Price sick/hurt????

Can anyone in Montreal confirm...there is nothing on their site yet.

[EDIT] Apparently Price has the flu...AGAIN!

I can't believe this roster is the same bunch pf players that stunk it up for the better part of 2 months. I guess Carbo was to blame for most of the problems. Bob definitely has them in roles they can play, and play well.

They look REALLY good lately.

Flu-like symptoms... aka alcohol poisoning.

I'm still not sure why Chris Higgins looks so weak out there. Komisarek is still playing like he's hurt - and not as in playing through pain in a good tough way, but actually unable to perform as he should.

Habs look like they'll be an absolutely horrifying 7/8 seed, especially with Boston looking so soft these days. Either way, Caps or Bruins, that'll be one hell of a first--round series.

Not sure about you guys, but if i were a habs fan, id be PISSED at kovalev's play as of late. Playing like such crap all year untill the last week or so? Sorry, but thats not a player i want on my team, regardless of his talent.

Ughhhh No Markov or Schneider tonight. They should still be able to crush the Sens though. As long as both guys are back by Thursday against Boston and then Pittsburgh