Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Avery suspended

ahh..so typical of society today, the powers that be intervening to protect us from ourselves...because we aren't capable of doing it by one and all....

All too true unfortunately...

I heard there is a clause in NHL contracts that says something like a player cannot speak against the league, cause prejudice to the league's image, etc., you get the idea. This clause has never been used before but this could become a lawyer battle if the Stars try to void Avery's contract using this clause because the NHLPA has the obligation to defend Avery, even if they don't feel like it.

They could give it the "B" game...they are obliged to defend him...to defend him well. *L*

BuffaloKing, my point is the words that Avery used "sloppy seconds" are so inappropriate that a respectable person wouldn't use them. Avery picked those words to disrespect and degrade Dion, Elisha and anybody else that may be dating on of his ex-girlfriends.

Every time one of these topics comes up on this site I just shake my head. It's as if MSH consists solely of respectable stand up hockey players who are pure class, never said taken a cheap shot, never chirped somebody, lady byng every year. It's the dumbest argument I have ever heard, if you've never layed a chirp on someone in a hockey game, before the game, after the game or any other time in relation to hockey I would have a hard time believing you have ever played any hockey higher than beer league. I don't care what you think of it, or if you don't like it, it's part of the game. It gets guys of their game. What you don't understand is when you are playing a high-competitive level of hockey this stuff actually makes a difference. Go ahead and be Mr. Respect and say it doesn't but if you truly believe that you don't know the game....it's not even about making the other guy angry. Its the fact that when you are on the ice, they will be aware of it, they will know you are their and they WILL try and hit you that extra bit harder, and this creates more oppurtunities for the other players. As far as the media part....who cares? I refuse to believe that this type of thing is bad for the league. The fact is people who have an image of a bunch of punks in the league are not going to stop having it until their is no fighting, which is never going to happen. All this does is make people want to watch. It brings attention to the sport, it brings rivalries which people love. They do this in every major sport....NFL players run their mouths, for christ sake NASCAR drivers run their mouths. Its such a juvenile thing to be upset or bothered by. Again, I mean I understand if you have never played a competitive level, or something I could see how you can't relate to this, but even still I'd like to think you are smart enough to realize their just words.

I appreciated this post because I didn't like the media, the NHL, and everyone on MSH acting as if were all such saints and would never say/do anything like this........ It's easy to point a finger but lets keep it all in perspective -- it was wrong what he said and the time place that he said it but it's Pro sports - people are looking for any edge available -- lets keep it real.

Oh and Grazstrom will tell you -- I've been a jerk before and made Cancer comments too. He felt bad about it but he laughed when he heard it

And whoever made the comment earlier about Obama not being african american -- give me a break! If you knew nothing about him and saw him walking down the street you would consider him to be a black man or african american. Most inter racial (black/white parents) people are treated as black Americans in America today (they get all of the pros and cons associated w/ the skin color). Sorry -- just had to respond to that.

********************************************************************************

"I'm not saying forgive, Racism is a hot topic right now in this country and is further being driven by the misinformed who think Pres. Obama is african american(which of course he is not entirely, 50% african american,50% white) Racism is far from dead in this country on both sides of the fence, white, and black. Both races are equally liable right now in society for continually driving racism.....Let me give you my own point of view.

"***************************************************************************

OK, I've gotten through 11 pages of this stuff but I can't continue reading so I'm just posting and I apologize if these are repeat comments.

*Trash talk is as much a part of the game as fighting is

*Avery is 100% a donkey AND at the same time is good for the game. He was 100% dead on w/ his comments about Iggy. I love to watch Iggy play and think that he is a bright spot for the league. Unfortunately, most of our bright spots are like Iggy and can only be appreciated by true fans of the sport. the problem lies in the fact that the non-traditional fan cant appreciate Iggy, nor does he draw them to watch the game. He's not vocal in the media, doesnt stir up any trouble and is basically a phenomal athelete who just plain doesn't get attention. It's a problem with our game. Our star players get up in front of the camera, give the standard answers (we played hard tonight, team effort, goalie stood on his head, the end) and nobody cares. Every now and then you need a Allen Iverson type person to say PRACTICE, WE TALKING ABOUT PRACTICE??!!??? Do I think that the WWE is complete garbage -- hell yeah, but unfortunately as previously mentioned in this thread, the darn stuff sells out every night. You dont hear about a WWE lockout now do you??? WWE isn't having revune sharing issues! Is Avery an embarrasment to the league -- a lot of times YES, 100% . Am i more embarrased that the greatest game on the earth is currently being viewed on Versus, 100% yes. People do like Villans and heroes! People like watching Cribs w/ people flaunting their goods from other sports. Because of this whole "Players shouldn't speak their minds ora" , the NHL product lacks a certain persoanlity that the other major sports carry (On ESPN w/ Major TV deals and endorsement deals for players all day). Does the league have a certain history and image to uphold, yes. Does that image matter at all if the product doesnt sell and everything goes right down the dooker -- not at all!

*Were his comments really THAT bad -- compared to other antics that he has done over his career-- not even close. Most people in general have said worse. every pee wee locker room has worse things said. Should he have said it in the media - no. Should he be suspended indefinitely - absolutely not based on the action. DId the league make the right decision though -- absolutely yes despite my previous comments ONLY due to the Bertuzzi incident -- that actually was detrimental to the leagues image and they don't want to risk another PREMEDITATED action like that. Unfortunately this is probably going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for the league concerning Avery. *Note -- I would have liked to see a good scrap on the ice between Phaneuf and Avery to settle this.

*Why is Avery getting thrown under the buss - Because EVERYONE in the league hates this guy. The NHLPA, his teamates, Modano, everyone. He's the most hated man in the league. This is everyone's chance to get rid of Avery.

*HERE IS MY ISSUES W/ THE NHL HOWEVER (Why the Avery activity is nothing to me compared to these other topics)-- I love this great game called hockey -- but i must say that I have been slowly losing respect for the league every since the lockout year and this has not helped. Did the league make a good move by getting rid of obstruction penalties to showcase talent better and increase goas -- absolutely yes! Unfortunately though, the game has started to look a lot like Basketball now -- everything is a penalty. i see tons of mystery hooks during every game. Lifting a stick is not a hook and I hate the fact that the best league in the world is now calling that a hook most nights! Problem #2 -- the head shots issue -- I'm sorry but it's part of the game. These players have been taught how to play from an early age and part of that training is how to take a hit -- players should not put themselves in position to get anhilated. And yes -- sometimes it's just gonna happen. That's a tradition (just like the leagues image regarding Avery) that needs to be upheld -- this being one of the most hardnosed, gritty games ever played. Problem #3 -- throwing guys like Avery under the bus for doing something juvenile like this, but every game there are 10 hits from behind or hits where a guy launches himself at another player, and No suspension (not even a 2 minute minor). only difference between these plays and the Van Ryan hit recently is that the players get up and are not injured........ If the league really wants to make a difference, do no touch icing and penalize guys for illegal checks based on the hit, not the end result. (Also while I'm on this subject, Why is Hollweg still in the league?? All that guy does is check people from behind. I thought this prior to his 2 hits on STL players this season).

Which brings me to my next Problem #4 -- Why is it that if a 3rd line grinder does a suspension worthy penalty and a marquee player does the exact same thing, the suspensions dont match (or there is no suspension at all) Examples -- Pronger's stomp on Kessler, and recently Kovalchuk hitting White after a whistle (No suspension). If White does that to Kovy -- he would have gotten the book thrown at him. The league should have penalized Bertuzzi harder (lockout year doesn't count, Im sorry) so that they can penalize other players more sccurately based on the crime.

back to Avery......

*Who is the real victim in all of this -- Brett Hull - Avery is making him look like an idiot for bringing him in - I actually had the stars picked to go very far this year heading into the season and Avery has been a Cancer in that locker room and will probably be a cancer in all 30 ocker rooms in the league. With that being said though -- he's not a garbage Ryan Hollweg type player -- Avery can single handily win a playoff series for a team, not many players can put that on their resume.

That's all I have to say about that

Question -- is Avery done in the NHL now? Will another team take a chance on him ever again?

Thanks for reading my epic post and I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this topic -- EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO AN OPINION

"Sean got a chance to explain some different things, I think he was excellent," Healy said. "He was apologetic and from a players' standpoint, he laid out his side of things pretty well. But it's pretty clear he's sorry for the incident and at the end of the day, he's a good player. He's one of Dallas' top two forwards and he's a good kid. There's a lot of good things and he probably wishes that the incident never happened."

http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pag...rticleid=396151

Um... what? Healy is just plain wrong. Being a Stars fan, and having watched every game no matter how much they've sucked this year, the top two forwards that are active and not injured would be Modano and Loui Eriksson. Mo is playing like he's 30, and Loui is just amazing this year. Avery a top two forward? Ha! Not in any league he'll ever play in.

All I can think of is that he means that Avery is part of the top two lines. Nobody in their right mind would argue that he is better than Morrow or Richards, and to a lesser extend Modano and Ribiero.

ahh..so typical of society today, the powers that be intervening to protect us from ourselves...because we aren't capable of doing it by one and all....

that's one of the things I actually like about Avery, he has the balls to go on national TV in Canada and would have stepped on the ice without fear that evening,

And he would have refused to fight anyone that challenged him, as he usually does after he shoots his mouth off.

Yep - he has the look of a kid who's been afraid his whole life and worked like hell to hide it behind whatever facade was most convenient at the moment his bluff was called.

All I can think of is that he means that Avery is part of the top two lines. Nobody in their right mind would argue that he is better than Morrow or Richards, and to a lesser extend Modano and Ribiero.

(current healthy players)

Modano - Richards - Eriksson

Neal - Ribero - Parrish

Yeah, he doesn't crack the top two lines. Parrish is questionable, but he's a vet, and way more level headed. I'm hounding tsn looking for updates on the sentencing. Growing impatient! <_<

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=258309

Today, I spoke to three Stars players, who were blunt in their assessment of Avery. They agreed to be quoted as long as their names were not used.

"We hope it's the last time we ever see him," says one veteran.

"Our locker room is the happiest it has been all year right now," says another player.

Avery's weak attempt at stand-up comedy/trash-talk in Calgary was the last straw for many teammates.

He told them in the dressing room he was going to do something outrageous, saying, "Watch this boys," a couple of minutes before he stepped before the microphones.

"An apology (to the team) won't work," says a third player. "There isn't much he can say to change the way we feel right now. We have a lot of pride in this organization. He isn't welcome here anymore."

"He's been undermining everything we do," says the veteran. "He doesn't pay attention; he's not smart enough to play our system. He can't do some drills properly. He says it's because he's 'independent.'

Really, he's just not smart enough."

Full story on the link, here are some select quotes

I've heard Avery, over the course of this foolishness be described as "Dallas Super Star..." and "Tough guy..." byt people on my radio stations....I should probably walk down the hall and correct them...

A sad sad day when words suspend someone longer than a sucker punch and/or similar types of incidents, I'm done with the NHL, have been mostly for a while but this pretty much seals it..

A sad sad day when words suspend someone longer than a sucker punch and/or similar types of incidents, I'm done with the NHL, have been mostly for a while but this pretty much seals it..

Sucker punches and otherwise, are part of the game. Always have been, unfortunately always will be. The NHL is unwilling to step up their punishment for things like sucker punches or hits from behind, because the exact same play has usually already happened in the past, so there is some basis to go off of.

Calling over the national media and making a complete fool of yourself, your teammates, and your organization...that's not part of the game. Never has been. There's no precedent here, because nobody else is as stupid as Avery, it's completely uncharted waters. I thought it would be between 3-5, but Bettman is clearly trying to nip crap like this in the bud, and if Avery ever goes off to the media again with something like this, it gives the league a basis to kick him out for 15-20 games or longer.

So "sloppy seconds" earns a longer suspension than
. Nice job NHL :rolleyes:

We could play that game all day long.

This is one of those cases where the NHL came down hard to make themselves look good, knowing that the Stars are going to punish him even further. The league should have just left the punishment to the Stars in the first place, instead of trying to make themselves look like hardasses when we all know they aren't.

I only wish I could be in the stars locker room when he comes back. If his team was so outspoken about avery before and after the incident. I am curious as how it will be now that hes coming back to the stars after they all thought he was going to be outta there.

I only wish I could be in the stars locker room when he comes back. If his team was so outspoken about avery before and after the incident. I am curious as how it will be now that hes coming back to the stars after they all thought he was going to be outta there.

You're on crack if you think Avery's setting foot on the ice in a Dallas jersey again.

Sucker punches and otherwise, are part of the game. Always have been, unfortunately always will be. The NHL is unwilling to step up their punishment for things like sucker punches or hits from behind, because the exact same play has usually already happened in the past, so there is some basis to go off of.

stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

You're on crack if you think Avery's setting foot on the ice in a Dallas jersey again.

He got 6 game suspension, where would he play besides dallas? (Serious question)