Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Avery suspended

The problem with that train of thought is do you think that what he said is any worse than what is said on the ice? I understand that its obviously different saying it through the media than face to face, but I guarantee you things of this sort are said during every game. If Avery hadn't of said this before the game he certainly would have during. I don't think that Dion reacts much differently. If Avery were threatening Dion (or anyone) before the game, that is a completely different story. But saying something about someone's girlfriend? Certainly its classless, but its not really a big deal.

Well said... I mean, it's obviously below the belt, it's Sean Avery we're talking about. But c'mon, you're a pro athlete- and one dating a Hollywood starlet no less. Shouldn't you have a somewhat tough exterior for criticism and comments? Do you guys think no one's ever said anything to Avery on the ice about some of the 'puck bunnies' he's chased around? No "Olsen Twin" comments? Like you said in the first few replies... the NHL should be dealing with issues like high hits, diving, and tampered All Star voting... let his team discipline him if they feel their code of ethics is broken. My opinion- I also say shame on Phaneuf for the reaction too. Why even comment on it...

AnthonyJTa i agree with what you said too but it what Avery did was planned and he still looked like a tool. It's different on ice but when bring attention to yourself by saying hey are the cameras on and then tryin to spit it out....i wonder why they are all his ex's...maybe cause the girls realized how much of a tool and d-bag he is :)

I agree with you totally.. keep in mind, it IS Sean Avery. He was probably reciting the comment to himself in the mirror, no doubt that was pre-meditated. But let his team come to the conclusion that he's an a-hole, and do what they feel is required. Remind him there are expectations when putting on that sweater. I just see it silly to give him league-wide attention, when the entire league will agree he's a jackass. The league should be worrying about the game, not schoolyard antics.

that woulda been the best game of the year. and thanks to the guy who made sure i post it here WHATEVER WOULD WE DO WITHOUT YOU

Well, for one, we wouldn't have this board to post on.

Back on topic, though, when this hearing is over, how much longer will he be on suspension? You think he'll be forced to come up with a canned apology and a perfunctory donation to some women's cause or mandatory sensitivity training before he's reinstated?

Maybe he'll be put on a Pacman-style probation.

I would bet he's not coming back to the Stars for a while.

Quotes from coach Dave Tippett :

"I'm trying to build a team where the players care about each other, that has continuity," Tippett said outside the Dallas dressing room prior to Wednesday night's game at Rexall Place against the Edmonton Oilers. "I find it hard to believe that Sean could come back in the room and we would have that continuity.

"My job is to build the best team possible," he continued. "I don't know if we can build the best team possible with Sean in the room."

"We'll have to see what management wants to do," he said. "I think they know my opinion on that, and I'm not going to share it. But that's management's call, not mine."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/12/03/tippett_avery/

Pretty strong words.

Serves that piece of trash right, I hope they try and void his contract. Now THAT would be funny.

We're 13 pages into this, but really WOW, this is blown way out of proportion. He said that before the game to get into Phanuefs head and throw him off his game. Did anyone watch the video, guys behind him are laughing. The fact that he got suspended is a joke. This should have been handled by Hull, Madano, Tippett and the Stars brass.

Really, from everything I hear, the stars may want to get rid of him. How much do you want to make a bet that Sathers calling saying if you cover half his salary, we'll take him off your hands.

Really, I know everyone hates Avery but c'mon who among us hasn't said that about our ex's and past hookups. If a buddy of mine got with a girl I got with, I'd rag on him forever that he got my sloppy seconds. It would be even worse if it was a guy I didn't like. Should I get suspended for that.

Plus...I accually saw people discuss hockey on ESPN...Avery gets the NHL more attention than crosby ever will.

We're 13 pages into this, but really WOW, this is blown way out of proportion. He said that before the game to get into Phanuefs head and throw him off his game. Did anyone watch the video, guys behind him are laughing. The fact that he got suspended is a joke. This should have been handled by Hull, Madano, Tippett and the Stars brass.

Really, from everything I hear, the stars may want to get rid of him. How much do you want to make a bet that Sathers calling saying if you cover half his salary, we'll take him off your hands.

Really, I know everyone hates Avery but c'mon who among us hasn't said that about our ex's and past hookups. If a buddy of mine got with a girl I got with, I'd rag on him forever that he got my sloppy seconds. It would be even worse if it was a guy I didn't like. Should I get suspended for that.

Plus...I accually saw people discuss hockey on ESPN...Avery gets the NHL more attention than crosby ever will.

The new CBA does not allow that.

I wasn't aware that you were even in a position where you could be suspended from NHL gameplay. I also missed the part where you made such a statement in front of cameras and reporters representing major national media outlets.

You can use that "everybody has said it" argument if you want - but it's overwhelmingly flawed. Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that "everybody" isn't paid to represent an professional organization, league and sport. A guy in Avery's position (as an ambassador, really - whether he wants to be or not) can't say something like that and be surprised when there are repercussions - ESPECIALLY given his history.

When you go out of your way to seek out attention before saying something like that in the dressing room, you're not an "on-ice agitator." You're a classless distraction to your organization and a black-eye on the face of the NHL - a league struggling for mainstream popularity as it is. I have zero respect for the guy, on or off the ice.

And a few "name" players in New York would be asking for trades if that happened. Allegedly, a couple important Rangers made it known that didn't want him back on the team this year.

I can't believe some of you guys support this kind of personal attacks.

Granted it could make people watch more hockey but do you really want to market the NHL with such idiots? This is not the WWE.

I for one am certainly not supporting it. I just feel that is really not a very big deal, and the NHL is hurting itself by acting in this manner.

I disagree. This is being discussed on national sports radio. Nothing else hockey does can get that kind of exposure. This suspension is the culmination of the years of classless conduct by Avery, he's nothing more than a piece of garbage.

If the Stars cut, buy out, or deal Avery, whatever the case, you can bet your ass as soon as the league allows he will be playing on some NHL team again almost immediately.

Shenanigans and his history or not, at least one NHL team would take a gamble on a heavily discounted Avery for a year or 2 contract, you can't argue with the numbers the Rangers put up with him on the starting line up last season versus not in the lineup, and you can't argue that when you have Ilya Kovalchuk dropping gloves and scrapping with you, if your the agitator of the team, your doing something right.

Perhaps he did this all pre meditated hoping to leave Dallas, with the piss poor performances they've been having this season.. ;)

And a few "name" players in New York would be asking for trades if that happened. Allegedly, a couple important Rangers made it known that didn't want him back on the team this year.

I won't name names but I'd put money that a LLWS hero had a thing or two to say about it.

I won't name names but I'd put money that a LLWS hero had a thing or two to say about it.

Hmmm, good thing you didn't "name names" ;)

Dallas didn't do their homework when they brought him on board, we've all played with people who helped us win, but were idiots elsewhere and even on the ice. Now they will cut him loose and he'll go to another team closer to a coast and have an impact,

Dallas preaches itself as a cup contender, but really they got a little hot last year and Turco showed up for a bit, they could have been out in the first round just as easily, a team that in the past was built for 82 games and not 16

Dallas didn't do their homework when they brought him on board...

You really expected Hull to put in all the work before making a decision?