Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Avery suspended

If you haven't seen Duthie's column on TSN today, it's worth a look:

http://tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=258309

The team appears to have turned hard against Avery. Some quotes from teammates:

"We hope it's the last time we ever see him," says one veteran.

"Our locker room is the happiest it has been all year right now," says another player.

An apology (to the team) won't work," says a third player. "There isn't much he can say to change the way we feel right now. We have a lot of pride in this organization. He isn't welcome here anymore."

"He's been undermining everything we do," says the veteran. "He doesn't pay attention; he's not smart enough to play our system. He can't do some drills properly. He says it's because he's 'independent.'

Really, he's just not smart enough."

This was an interesting bit, too. I've never liked Avery, but he sounds like even more of an out of touch narcissist than I thought:

"Avery has been an outcast in the dressing room from the start of the season. He wears headphones almost all the time, and rarely speaks to anyone, often working on his computer until minutes before practice. That might be tolerated if he (and the team) were performing well on the ice. But he hasn't been, with just three goals so far."

Ugly. Reminds me of the kind of thing that happens in the NFL or NBA more than hockey.

The thing about those quotes from teammates...you can't even point a finger and guess who is saying that stuff, seemingly the entire team is against him. I haven't heard a single quote that is even marginally supporting him.

I'm guessing he gets a 3 game suspension, maybe 5 at the most. I'd be shocked if they would make it any longer than that.

Meeting is over should have some news soon.

Decision later today or tomorrow morning (according to tsn.ca)

I guess they want to make it look like it wasn't pre-determined.

Didn't read it yet but the comments you posted makes it look like this may bring the team together.

http://tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=258309

The team appears to have turned hard against Avery. Some quotes from teammates:

"We hope it's the last time we ever see him," says one veteran.

"Our locker room is the happiest it has been all year right now," says another player.

An apology (to the team) won't work," says a third player. "There isn't much he can say to change the way we feel right now. We have a lot of pride in this organization. He isn't welcome here anymore."

"He's been undermining everything we do," says the veteran. "He doesn't pay attention; he's not smart enough to play our system. He can't do some drills properly. He says it's because he's 'independent.'

Really, he's just not smart enough."

This was an interesting bit, too. I've never liked Avery, but he sounds like even more of an out of touch narcissist than I thought:

"Avery has been an outcast in the dressing room from the start of the season. He wears headphones almost all the time, and rarely speaks to anyone, often working on his computer until minutes before practice. That might be tolerated if he (and the team) were performing well on the ice. But he hasn't been, with just three goals so far."

Ugly. Reminds me of the kind of thing that happens in the NFL or NBA more than hockey.

Ouch, one can only hope this helps bring the stars out of the crapper.

Didn't read it yet but the comments you posted makes it look like this may bring the team together.

I like the last line in the article, the possibility of assigning Avery anywhere.

This type of attitude is why incidents like Steve Moore/Todd Bertuzzi happen.

Yet it didn't cause that incident.

I would rather see other players shut Avery up with good fist to the face instead of this type of action. Avery is an asshole, someday he'll cross the wrong guy out there. It's a matter of time.

what a circus this has become, I've gotta wonder if Bettman is so pissed because Cuthbert did a blog for NHL.com last year during the playoffs

does anyone think a long term suspension would stick, no way, not with shots to the head getting 2-3 games...the Stars are going to have to buy him out and then he'll wind up with a team more suited to handle him..

really, this signing was like bringing the Amish straight into the age of today..a boring team with boring players in a mostly boring suburb of Dallas

It sure did. Bertuzzi decided to handle Moore on the ice. Nothing else needs to be said.

IMO. The league was right to suspend Avery to keep a similar incident from happening.

ahh..so typical of society today, the powers that be intervening to protect us from ourselves...because we aren't capable of doing it by one and all....

that's one of the things I actually like about Avery, he has the balls to go on national TV in Canada and would have stepped on the ice without fear that evening,

It sure did. Bertuzzi decided to handle Moore on the ice. Nothing else needs to be said.

IMO. The league was right to suspend Avery to keep a similar incident from happening.

Todd Bertuzzi being an idiot with a history of questionable actions going back to his days in Midget and Juniors is what caused the Moore/Bertuzzi incident. But that is neither here nor there.

Avery is a sad little insecure boy who, deep down, doesn't feel that his hockey skills are good enough to garner attention so he found another way to attract attention. You can only feel sorry for that pathetic little soul.

ahh..so typical of society today, the powers that be intervening to protect us from ourselves...because we aren't capable of doing it by one and all....

that's one of the things I actually like about Avery, he has the balls to go on national TV in Canada and would have stepped on the ice without fear that evening,

And he would have refused to fight anyone that challenged him, as he usually does after he shoots his mouth off.

And it will continue...I can't see any AHL teams with direct NHL affiliation taking a chance on him.

I wonder what happens when he refuses assignment to an ECHL team, which he can do! Then what? Will the Stars tell him to go home and they'll keep paying him?

They're gonna have a very hard time getting his contract voided on this one, so Dallas Stars fans, get ready to eat this contract in full. 3 more years after this at $4mil a season, or, buy him out at season's end at 66% of the deal and spread the cap hit out per rule.

With that said, vacation time. See everyone in 2009!

Maybe the Stars get some inspiration from New Jersey and "loan" Avery to a team in the KHL?

Maybe the Stars get some inspiration from New Jersey and "loan" Avery to a team in the KHL?

I'm not sure they can do that without the player's approval.

I heard there is a clause in NHL contracts that says something like a player cannot speak against the league, cause prejudice to the league's image, etc., you get the idea. This clause has never been used before but this could become a lawyer battle if the Stars try to void Avery's contract using this clause because the NHLPA has the obligation to defend Avery, even if they don't feel like it.