Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HHR23

BIG toe curve

Atleast they wouldn't have to mass produce them, the ID program does make sense on a made-to-order basis that offers something other companies don't.

p10/p14 don't do it for you?

p10 was really mild to the other toe curves i have.

Has anyone ever tried contacting a team and seeing if they could purchase a set of sticks in a pattern they like? I assume the answer would be no due to the retailers wanting to sell retail sticks.

P14 is hardly a traditional toe curve.

Pro stock Kovalchuks would sell great at retail, imo, if a company like Bauer or Easton would give it a chance.

How many young kids would go after it just cause its the biggest thing out there? Plus all the people who legitimately like toe curves and understand how to shoot with it (like us).

Warrior did sell a Kovy pro and called it the Smyth. Maybe the Warrior guy can confirm it, but I'm guessing it sold like whatever the opposite of hotcakes are.

Kovy pro stock was a toe hook while the Smyth was a banana toe, kind of similar in terms of lie and blade shape but not the same.

Kovy pro stock was a toe hook while the Smyth was a banana toe, kind of similar in terms of lie and blade shape but not the same.

It was certainly close enough for the multitudes of retail shoppers who wouldn't have any idea anyway.

It was one of the Kovy pro variants. Some hosels even had "Kovalchuk" on them.

Companies don't make them because they didn't sell. During their heyday in being available, I hardly ever saw anyone using a P10 or Shanny curve anywhere. They're a niche item and I don't see them selling any better now than they did back then.

I'm with Mack here.

Outside of MSH, no one really cares about toe curves. Guys I play with look at curves like that and laugh. Some of the best players I've ever played with use some form of heel wedge. Toe hooks are largely a novelty, or niche as Mack points out.

It's also interesting to note that in the odd chance someone does show up with a toe hook, they're usually not a very good player. A true tripod. It's laughable irony.

I guess it is a niche item, but hardly a novelty. It seems like the marketability is there for them to sell well, but companies have tried to no avail.

I do understand that there is a large group of people who want to use what "Ovie uses" or whoever the pro happens to be. HNIC and Don Cherry have to be partly to blame for toe curve fad in my mind. I don't know how many times they've shown segments on how the big Russian toe hooks are responsible for Ovie's wicked shot etc....

For me it has nothing to do with which pro uses them or what the good players around me use, it all comes down to my preference. My puck control and velocity, accuracy of my shot are much better with a toe style curve. To be honest I wish I could get the same results with a regular retail curve. It would be a lot easier to find a stick and easier on my wallet too.

Good post Malc. I totally agree with you on retail curves. I don't think there's enough variety available for different playing styles. The P88 style, basic mids, seem to be getting flatter and flatter.

I do understand that there is a large group of people who want to use what "Ovie uses" or whoever the pro happens to be. HNIC and Don Cherry have to be partly to blame for toe curve fad in my mind. I don't know how many times they've shown segments on how the big Russian toe hooks are responsible for Ovie's wicked shot etc....

For me it has nothing to do with which pro uses them or what the good players around me use, it all comes down to my preference. My puck control and velocity, accuracy of my shot are much better with a toe style curve. To be honest I wish I could get the same results with a regular retail curve. It would be a lot easier to find a stick and easier on my wallet too.

I think I tried it at first because of some of the focus in the NHL on the big toe curves, but I really fell in love with the ease the puck rolls right into the sweet spot of the stick on shots. I also feel that as far as accuracy even when I don't get the shot of perfect it always goes somewhat where I wanted it. Mid Heels and Mid curves I never got that because sometimes the puck rolled to far forward or to far back.

Posted this in the show it off thread, but I found some Samuelsson prostock Bauers with a big toe hook on them. Strange because I'd seen a Samuelsson prostock when he played for Detroit and it was nothing like this.

img4123ca.jpg

Posted this in the show it off thread, but I found some Samuelsson prostock Bauers with a big toe hook on them. Strange because I'd seen a Samuelsson prostock when he played for Detroit and it was nothing like this.

Where did you score those?

I took a broken One95 PM9 blade and added a little toe. I also sanded the toe down on the top and bottom(think way less extreme Spezza) purely for ascetic reasons. I am really liking it and I plan on having customs made...eventually.

http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b430/h...Hcustoms018.jpg

http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b430/h...Hcustoms016.jpg

http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b430/h...Hcustoms007.jpg

National's Sports in Windsor. They had about 3-4 left when I was there. $119 CDN

Honestly, that's a great price for pro returns. $149 out here for most pro returns which isn't terrible but getting them down to 119 would be awesome.

Honestly, that's a great price for pro returns. $149 out here for most pro returns which isn't terrible but getting them down to 119 would be awesome.

Well downtown they do have some for $100, or 2 for $150. Usually the new stock they start at $150 tops.

8229_145184207247_86876347247_2546673_6735134_n.jpg

This is the Kynetyk Ovechkin clone. Custom for 150 bucks, name/number/grip or non grip/flex.

Not a bad deal, seems like the stick gets decent reviews too.