Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hehatemefrisbee

R-Rated NHL...

So last night I was watching the Flames-Hawks game. DoucheCanoe was in between the benches, and when a scuffle happened in front of him, there was some great trash talking heard on accident. This got me thinking. What if the NHL had an add on for Center Ice, that would allow you to purchase the R-Rated broadcast? No commentators, just ice sounds, including the great trash talking that goes on. I mean for my demographic (the 18-35 Male) I feel that this would be a great success. You arent taking away anything from the family broadcast, you are just adding a great option for people that want to hear the real sounds of the game. What do you guys think?

So last night I was watching the Flames-Hawks game. DoucheCanoe was in between the benches, and when a scuffle happened in front of him, there was some great trash talking heard on accident. This got me thinking. What if the NHL had an add on for Center Ice, that would allow you to purchase the R-Rated broadcast? No commentators, just ice sounds, including the great trash talking that goes on. I mean for my demographic (the 18-35 Male) I feel that this would be a great success. You arent taking away anything from the family broadcast, you are just adding a great option for people that want to hear the real sounds of the game. What do you guys think?

I'd love to see/hear that...but an entire secondary broadcast feed would not be worth while for the small audience that would watch it. Think of how small NHL's TV is now...only a small part of that would want to see the "R" rated version.

I think that would be amazing, however a lot of the chirping happens on the ice, so thy would have to find a way to get those sounds onto the broadcast. I don't know about no announcers though maybe you can chose with or without somehow?

They could make use of the SAP function....*L* I don't know that there is much call for Spansih play by play.

Secondary Audio....(what's the P again?) Programming???

I think they should mic-up some of the good trash talkers, and then play the uncensored feed on the website or something. There's so much potential there, but the only thing they ever play is clips of a guy sayin "good job boys, thatta way" and some grunts and groans from him skating and hitting someone. Boorrriiinngg. Mic up Avery and let us hear the things he says on the ice.

Id much rather a new mute button that only mutes all noise by Versus. The fake goal horns, stupid music. Oh, and Joe Beninati.

Secondary audio would be a blessing for hockey. The best TV experience I ever had was watching the 2006 Olympics on SAP - no commentators, no music, nothing - just ambient rink noise. It wasn't ice-level, so chatter wasn't audible - just the background noise you hear during a normal broadcast. It was wonderful. Complete ice-level broadcast would be amazing.

Reonick talked about bringing this to HBO after retirement. I heard in an interview awhile back.

Actually there is a precedent - the first HBO sports broadcast (and second overall) was a Rangers game.

I think they should mic-up some of the good trash talkers, and then play the uncensored feed on the website or something. There's so much potential there, but the only thing they ever play is clips of a guy sayin "good job boys, thatta way" and some grunts and groans from him skating and hitting someone. Boorrriiinngg. Mic up Avery and let us hear the things he says on the ice.

Then there'd be proof and he wouldn't be able to deny he said (whatever).

before tonights wings - jackets game, they were in the jackets locker room before ther game. whoever was the voice said lets just enjoy it, and they just left the camera in the room for a good few minutes. the sound wasn't that high (thankfully for them), as you can imagine they were trying to pump each other up before a big playoff game.

I personally think it may be a very popular option. NBC has iso cam, why not iso mic?

Me and my dad were just discussing this today! He somehow ended up having lunch with Jay Caufield(Pens Analyst) this afternoon and my dad brought that up and apparently Jay said that was a great idea. But he also said that if players were mic'd up they would not swear as much or wouldn't truly be talking like they normally would.

Nonetheless I think it's the best idea for hockey but just thought I'd add that.

before tonights wings - jackets game, they were in the jackets locker room before ther game. whoever was the voice said lets just enjoy it, and they just left the camera in the room for a good few minutes. the sound wasn't that high (thankfully for them), as you can imagine they were trying to pump each other up before a big playoff game.

I personally think it may be a very popular option. NBC has iso cam, why not iso mic?

No one wants a text message from mom after the game

"Great game hun, drop another F-bomb and I'll personally see to it that you skate suicides til you puke that nasty language out. Love you lots, Mom"

Anything that keeps me from having to listen to Pierre Maguire is an improvement in my book.

+1 to that.

No one wants a text message from mom after the game

"Great game hun, drop another F-bomb and I'll personally see to it that you skate suicides til you puke that nasty language out. Love you lots, Mom"

Only time and place my mother puts up with my language is when I'm at the rink playing. She's just given up and maintains that "It's part of the game".

Id much rather a new mute button that only mutes all noise by Versus. The fake goal horns, stupid music. Oh, and Joe Beninati.

+1 ON THAT. You can thank FOX for starting the trend of having sound effects for every score, stat, or almost any graphic they put up.

Pierre McGuire is awful. His goofy stresses on words and general speech volume makes me wanna go Louisville Slugger on the tv.

Pierre McGuire is awful. His goofy stresses on words and general speech volume makes me wanna go Louisville Slugger on the tv.

Can someone please send this thread to NBC/Versus. Maybe then they'll realize how much the egghead drives us crazy.