Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
EBondo

The "people you may have heard about but probably didn't" death thread.

TMZ reporting Junior Seau has died.

All signs point to suicide. Shot himself in the chest, just like the other former NFLer who did the same, with specific instructions that his brain be studied. I wonder if Seau was thinking along the same lines.

So, thoughts that this will be linked to either drug use (I always thought of Jr. as a squeaky clean player to look up too) or post concussion or trauma issues?

[EDIT]: The way they were talking on the radio, they are definitely suggesting that there were post concussion or trauma issues. Can anyone more familiar with his career recall any major concussion history...or are we to assume he was "playing through it" and being a good, tough NFLer.

To this point, (and I mean no disrespect to any of the dead) it has been predominantly role players, 4th liners etc...Is this the first real super star, former/retired athlete death?

Adam Schefter made sure to point out that over Seau's career, he never landed on the Injury List for a concussion. Not to say he never had one, but worth noting.

you would hope that seau wasnt pressured into playing despite having concussions - then again sometimes it is the player that hides them and doesnt report them to the team doctors..

hopefully this will make the nfl look into the concussion topic even more seriously than they already were.

I personally think it has to do with brain trauma. All the blows to the head that one takes, especially at the LB position, can't be good for any player in the long term. I know there are some people who want to dispute this 'theory' but we are seeing more players, in different sports, dying premature deaths and they all have had numerous blows to the head. The NFL, along with other major leagues, need to seriously look into this epidemic. How many more lives need to be lost? That's a question I would like to see Mr. Goodell answer.

I honestly don't see how much the leagues can do to prevent continued head trauma. They can create all the rules they want but these are violent sports. You can assess all the penalties/suspensions you want but some guys will still target the head. Accidental head contact will still occur too. At the speed these sports are played at, a guy moves an inch and the targeted shoulder now unfortunately becomes the head. In sports like football your basically leading with your head. I don't know how you could change that game to drastically reduce head trauma without making it two-hand touch football.

Probably my favorite band/group... very sad... got to see them in 2004 at Cobo in Detroit and was hoping to see them again as they were expected to tour for Hot Sauce Committee pt II once MCA's health got better RIP!

On the death of Adam Yauch (via my cousin on Twitter)

If Heaven exists, Jimi, Biggie and John Lennon just brought MCA to the original CBGB. Later, he's checking out an ABA game.

Donald "Duck" Dunn, bass player for Booker T and the MG's and the bass on too many classic Stax tunes dies at the age of 70 in his sleep after playing two shows in Tokyo.

Donald "Duck" Dunn, bass player for Booker T and the MG's and the bass on too many classic Stax tunes dies at the age of 70 in his sleep after playing two shows in Tokyo.

Fantastic bass player, he was also in the Blues Brothers.