Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

littlehockeymatt

harrow hockey sticks, shafts

+1 - You will only want to go with box if you specifically like the shape / have larger hands.

In general, don't worry about mixing and matching different models of shafts and blades. I do it all the time.

As for R8s, I am pretty sure my prostock shafts are lighter than retail. So, they do feel a little bit blade heavy with the Harrow blades. That said, it's not bad and will probably be better with a retail R8.

As for doing something special, my shafts came from prostock one pieces. I am not gonna lie, it was a pretty big pain to get the shafts ready to take blades. Assuming the retail shafts are similar, you will need to cut off the blade. That will leave you with the tenon of the blade still epoxied in the end of the shaft. I used a drill and a lot of patience / elbow grease and a really high grit file to chip away and sand away all the tenon material. Once I finally had worn through parts of the tenon, pieces broke off the shaft rather cleanly and I finally could get blades in. I would guess it took me a good hour, possibly even longer per shaft.

Thank you very much for the advice! I have a good supply of files and other bits, not to mention a Dremel tool (oh yeah, and a machine shop) at my disposal; so now that I know what I'm in for, I'll feel a lot more confident diving in. The Harrow blade is a pretty snug fit once you finish the prep work?

Yes, the blades have fit just fine. Just be prepared to a) take a lot of time B) be patient c) get your hands dirty / possibly smash your hands up a bit as you drill / chisel / file. It's very doable but not fun (I have cut myself a number of times in this type of process). d) don't cut too high. You can always cut a little bit more if you need to. Good luck!

Great deal at the Expo. I got my first Harrow shaft as I was planning on ordering a blade from them soon.

Also got CCM pro 4 rolls for $25 from the SportWorld USA booth.

Great deal at the Expo. I got my first Harrow shaft as I was planning on ordering a blade from them soon.

Also got CCM pro 4 rolls for $25 from the SportWorld USA booth.

Yeah, I got my nephew some of them too. I got the Harrow composite blade for $50 with the free composite tapered shaft.

Got to try my 300GS for the first time last night. It's a 92 flex uncut with a Drury clone blade. Played about half the game with the stick before going back to my SMU Bauer X:Shift. The problem for me was the blade. This test proved once again that I just can't play with a Drury like blade as it doesn't fit my style of shooting and I'm not about to try and change my style to accomodate a blade. I use mainly wristers and was making me get under the puck to much and shoot wobblers. Hard wobblers mind you but I don't like it. I took a few snappers to clear the zone though and man did the puck come flying of the blade. IMO, for the use that I got from it yesterday, my 92 did feel a bit stiffer than my X:shift which is a 87 flex.

As many have said the shaft/blade combo is not the lightest out there but it is lighter than my Bauer. I couldn't really tell holding them one after the other when I got the stick but I felt the difference when I swtiched sticks during the game. Blade feel seemed to be pretty good but I'm really not the best person to judge that but I could feel the puck better and knew right away when the puck was no longer on my blade. The blade seemed a bit soft or "springy" though when I shot the puck closer to the end of the blade. So now I have to buy myself some P88 like blade from Harrow or more than likely the Datysuk equivalent as the lie is too low on the P88 clone and I know I can play with the P38 clone as it is quite similar to the P88 and have used them before with good success.

Spoke with my friend, he does have a couple chips on his blade. He thinks they're related to taking draws as he wears down blades pretty quick. Otherwise still very stiff.

After another game, I had another tiny chip. Didn't use the stick much because of a bad game, switched to the old stick, damn near smashed it over the boards a couple times, etc. Teammates say my shot is great but it's going higher and wider than I want.

I having trouble with Slapshots now. The Shaft is whipping out weird whenever I am taking a one timer from the point at open hockey. Hhmmmm.

I did not experience this with my limited use in my first game. Snappers were nice, powerful and accurate in the warmup and clearing the zone during the game went well to although you don't need your shot to be as accurate when clearing the zone. As for wristers, aside from the fact I was shooting wobblers, they were hard and pretty accurate considering I was using a new pattern which I will no longer use. I'll give an update after my Friday night game when I get to try my P38 clone I ordered from them.

Used my shaft for the first time last night....DAMN. I thought the kick was better than my one95. Not as light, but my shot was looking like it would with xn10's. I ordered 3 more today, hopefully they hold up.

Zach

Anyone else have giant chunks of glue floating around in their shafts? It drove me nuts! I didn't have time between my games this weekend to get them out, so I ended up playing four games with a stick that sounded like a baby rattle...

I went ahead and ordered more blades. Got some Modano clones (1) & a 4 for shits & giggles. Used a 1 in my Flyweight shaft last night & it was pretty sweet. I really like the feel of their blades, it's almost like a wood blade just a bit more lively.

You really can't beat the 50% off deal...

What Flex Did You Get in the Harrow, and what do you use for a One95?

I used to have a OPS and it was awesome. It was my first composite stick, so I'm not sure if it was as good as I remember it being.

Used my shaft for the first time last night....DAMN. I thought the kick was better than my one95. Not as light, but my shot was looking like it would with xn10's. I ordered 3 more today, hopefully they hold up.

Zach

Just received my two Pattern 4 blades today. It will come as no surprise when I tell you that they are pretty much spot on a clone of the P38 and P88. On the site they say similar to Datsyuk but to me it's closer to a P88, just a bit longer. It is a tad bit more open then the P88 though, nothing mouch, at least from what I can see.

Will be trying the blade on Friday. I anticipate it to go pretty well as it is what I'm used to play with in terms of pattern

What Flex Did You Get in the Harrow, and what do you use for a One95?

I used to have a OPS and it was awesome. It was my first composite stick, so I'm not sure if it was as good as I remember it being.

77 in one95, 75 in Harrow shafts. I think some of it also has to do with the fact that Harrow has grip...and I was having to add grip to my one95's (and it was not staying very well). Still, the Harrow performed very well.

Zach

What flex did you get? Your combo is 7" shorter than mine!

The weight might be the same as a Dolo HD, but it definitely feels more shaft-heavy.

FWIW, I didn't do any extraordinary flexing to my stick, just a little push-pull to see how it flexes. I heard from another Harrow user that this is common and due to their manufacturing process...not sure how true that is.

I confirm mine did the same and I jumped at first... but second one did the same as well.

Anyone else have giant chunks of glue floating around in their shafts? It drove me nuts! I didn't have time between my games this weekend to get them out, so I ended up playing four games with a stick that sounded like a baby rattle...

I saw that major excess glue when adding my but end. They glue the shizzel out of the end to have the plastic butt stick... I took a knife and removed all of that white glue really easily.

My #4 was not close to the P88. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a mild Modano with a slight toe added.

I haven't used it the last couple games as I went back to my old stick with the big hook. My shots are just too unpredictable with it. I'll be ordering the big mid curve (#2) when money permits.

Maybe you're right. I was just comparing them side by side and they seemed to be quite alike IMO but then again my eyes may have been playing tricks on me. there is a slight toe curve for sure on it but like I said, side by side, to me it looked very similar to the P88.

The #4 is a clone of the CCM Rechi/Tavares, for what it's worth.

Used my Harrow again yesterday and it was shooting really hard. Although part of what's making my combo's feel so good is I'm using long hoseled tapered blades, which is pushing the flex point up a little bit. I can feel the shafts loading way more, and they're shooting lasers. Switched back to the Harrow after my Dolomite snapped in half. I can't imagine the weight is much higher than with the Dolomite, but it just "feels" more solid, if that makes sense.

The #4 is a clone of the CCM Rechi/Tavares, for what it's worth.

Used my Harrow again yesterday and it was shooting really hard. Although part of what's making my combo's feel so good is I'm using long hoseled tapered blades, which is pushing the flex point up a little bit. I can feel the shafts loading way more, and they're shooting lasers. Switched back to the Harrow after my Dolomite snapped in half. I can't imagine the weight is much higher than with the Dolomite, but it just "feels" more solid, if that makes sense.

Yeah, on the site they say: Pattern 4 comparable to CCM Recchi, RBK Datsyuk, Mission Hossa and they call that blade a toe curve.

Now, if you go to the Pattern DB, you see that the Mission Hossa is the same as the P88. The P38, Datsyuk is the same as the P88 too except that it has an open face angle compared to a neutral on the P88. The CCM Recchi/Tavares is also the same as the P88 in description except for the lie that is supposed to be a 5 instead of a 5.5.

When I compared my Pattern number 4 to the P88 and the P38, I really couldn't see much of a difference. Even the P38 and the P88 are almost identical except for a slighly more open angle on the P38 and even then it's not that noticeable by looking at them side by side. If I'm not too lazy tonight, I'll take a picture of all three side by side.

My order is in, if I have time I can post flex cuts and 2 blades but that's all.

I'll have a 92, 100 and 110 flex in hand so I can compare the proposed flex-when-cut lines;

I can also compare the Easton zetterberg blade with the Harrow clone - P1;

And also that P1 with the P2 (Big Coffey Mid-Toe curve, or banana curve!) just so you see how big it actually is;

And Finally I can post the goalie stick but I haven't got anything to compare it with :s so pretty useless! (Unless I have my Goalie come in when he picks me up to snap a pic...);

I'll edit this post when adding pics (If I'm allowed... I never read the posting pics rules section...)

I ordered the 300 shaft and a #4 and #6 blade.

Out of the box, the shaft looks and feels nice, as do the blades.

I tried the #4 blade last night for the first time in a scrimmage with a team in our league. The #4 has the slightest hint of a toe curve, noticeable when going top shelf from up close, but my backhand was still working fine. The blade feels softer than other I've used when flexing it with my hand, but this did not translate at all to using it on the ice.

The feel of the stick when using it is just solid, almost like a heavier wood stick would feel. For example, when there is a cross ice pass a bit to far in front of you, you can just put your stick out and and it will "deaden" the puck so you can catch up to it as opposed to taking the pass cleanly.

The feel when stick handling is nice, you just feel where the puck is on the blade.Others have compared it to a wood blade, I think the feel is better than a wood blade.

Shooting, well, shooting is flat out awesome. You can really load up the stick and rip the puck. I had more than one shot that the goalie got a glove on that still got through and into the net. I also came down on my off wing and let a wrister go, the goalie stopped it, but yelled in pain as he took it off his bicep. I'm not a mean guy but there is something about hurting a goalie when hitting him where he has padding that warms my heart :)

I only got off one or two slapshots, but they felt and looked good.

I'm using an 85 flex, the lowest I've ever used but the stick doesn't feel "noodly" when taking or making a hard pass.

Overall, for the $70 the blade and shaft combo cost after using the 50% off coupon, this is a no brainer. I would definitely recommend giving this a shot.