Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

littlehockeymatt

harrow hockey sticks, shafts

Hmm - I think their gloves are -great- at the sale price. At normal price I would probably spend a few bucks more for bauer pro 4-rolls or similar.

Hmm - I think their gloves are -great- at the sale price. At normal price I would probably spend a few bucks more for bauer pro 4-rolls or similar.

I grabbed a leather pair on eBay for $14 all in. At that price, I couldn't pass them up. I used them for 40 or so games until I picked up some Eagles at the Av's garage sale.

Pros:

- Very light

- Plastic inserts

- Great wrist mobility

Cons:

- Palm overlay wore through almost right away, although the palm itself held up fine

- 14.5" was juuuuuuuust a bit too big for me. It felt like my fingers were spread out somewhat. PP, of course, but that's why I grabbed the Eagles.

If the sizes fit me better (see coryroth24's comment), I'd pay maybe $30-$40 for a pair. They aren't on par with the Bauer 4-rolls, but they're fine for beer league.

I've been debating about trying the Harrow stick for a while. Finally got to hold one last night. A dude at pick up bought a two piece and I asked him if I could feel it. I liked it. The weight was nice and the stick just felt really good. Definitely impressed. I didn't want to ask to use it. Thought that might be kinda disrespectful.

UPDATE:

After about 7 games, the blade on my two piece showed a crack at the heel.

It was literally within days of the 30 day warranty. I sent it back and they are sending me a replacement. I hope this isn't somethnig common as I really am liking this stick.

Worst comes to worst, if you like the stick, you can always switch to another blade. We have been SOL lately regarding ice time as our rink has been closed for over 2 weeks to repaint the arena and redo the ice. We were to play tonight but something broke down and the ice melted all the way to the cement. So, by the time I try my blade again the 30 day warranty will be long gone damn it. I have two blades at home but if they don't last too long I may switch to another brand and see.

How do the shafts feel in relation to other companies' flexes when cut down? For example, if chopped down a couple inches and it takes the rating to an 85, how does this feel compared to the standard Easton/Warrior/Bauer 85 flex?

The 75 flex feels about the same as Warrior, a bit stiffer than Easton, a bit whippier than Bauer, but I can only speak for the Dolomite/Synergy/Vapor lines.

Since people have been discussing the gloves in here as well, let me just post a few pictures of mine. What I found interesting was the label that was attached identified them as a Christian Torch glove.

HarrowGloves.jpg

harrow-palm2.jpg

I'm still relatively new to hockey and don't have near the experience of most here, so I'm not going to make any recommendations, but so far I'm pretty happy with them. The one thing I didn't care for was the liner in the thumb is only sewn in on the base of the glove, not inside the thumb. Several times I took the gloves off to reach through my cage and adjust my glasses, and that liner pulled out, and I'd have to stuff it back into place before putting the gloves back on.

I was also in the market for pants, as my existing Easton Synergy pants were cavernous, and didn't see any sizing info on Harrow's website, so I contacted them, and got this response

Here is our sizing:

Youth Small—24-26”

Youth Medium—26-28”

Youth Large—28-30”

Adult Small—30-32”

Adult Medium—32-34”

Adult Large—34-36”

Adult XL—36-38”

Adult XXL—38-40”

harrow-pants.jpg

harrow-pants2.jpg

I wear a 42 pants, and opted for the XL's. I've lost a lot of weight recently, and was kind of hoping they'd be too small and I'd use them as "motivation" to keep loosing weight. Well, I actually fit in the XL's. They're a little snug, and I can't lace them all the way, but I can buckle the belt (the belt straps are actually massive, I may cut some off) so I gave them a try.

I wore them for the first game, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of them. They're a lot more flexible that my other Easton's and I can feel a difference. They're a very thick material so much so that I blocked a snapshot with by backside in a spot without a pad, and honestly didn't feel that much (yay for natural padding). The tailbone protection is thick, but not very wide, and it's kind of annoying on the bench, since it feels like you're putting all your weight on the tailbone and on that thick pad. I actually thought it may do more harm than good in a fall until I accidentally put it to the test, and found it did what it's supposed to do with no problem.

how does the 300 shaft compare to other shafts (one95, ak27, s15, se16, etc.)?

also can anyone tell me how the length on a SR shaft + blade combo to a SR bauer one piece?

The one thing I didn't care for was the liner in the thumb is only sewn in on the base of the glove, not inside the thumb. Several times I took the gloves off to reach through my cage and adjust my glasses, and that liner pulled out, and I'd have to stuff it back into place before putting the gloves back on.

I totally forgot about that. Not to rag on the gloves some more but I remember missing shifts trying to get the damn liner back in place so it wasn't bunched up.

Well the weight is a bit heavier than some other shafts, but the performance and feel is fantastic IMO. It's tapered, so I don't know how it compares to the AK, One95, and S15.

I totally forgot about that. Not to rag on the gloves some more but I remember missing shifts trying to get the damn liner back in place so it wasn't bunched up.

To Harrow's defence, my Easton S11s do the same thing.

Thanks Jarick...

I'm considering getting one but not sure if I should go with a SR or INT... I like my sticks a little long and currently use an uncut SR bauer stick...

It's definitely tempting to just jump off the diving board and get one. The guys at the Canadian Harrow store are very helpful too.

Personally I'd go with the 75 flex concave...very similar to the Vapor shape, and the stiffness should be similar.

Just a quick heads up for those who may have to put a butt end on that stick. It probably doesn't apply to many as the shaft is already quite long but had to put one on mine after cutting it. I decided to cut my stick and try a shorter stick and after two disastrous games I decided to add a butt end on the stick to bring it back to it's original lenght which suited me at the time.

I didn't notice anything with the tapper when putting the blade in but the end of the stick gets really really soft. I didn't apply much heat (using a heat gun) and when I inserted the butt end in I could see the the butt end going in kinda through the shaft. The shaft was so soft that simply moving the butt end in the stick would deform the shaft to an extent. The shaft however would settle back to it's original shape though. I've never seen another shaft being that sensitive to heat and I add a butt end to pretty much all my sticks. heating the butt end as caused some light damage to the finish on my 300GS. At the top where there are like honeycombs (red on mine), it has peeled off a bit. I don't really care as it will be covered with tape but anyway, I thought I'd let you all know about it.

Update on 1 of my 4: Broke in my second game on a one timer (at the most inoppurtune time I might add). I think it will still be under warranty...so I will call and see about a replacement.

Zach

Update on 1 of my 4: Broke in my second game on a one timer (at the most inoppurtune time I might add). I think it will still be under warranty...so I will call and see about a replacement.

Zach

Hey Zach where on the stick did you break yours? My brother broke my Harrow Taper blade on a one timer. It snapped right at the point where the end of the insert meets the outside hosel of the blade. I think that was the 4th session it was taken out. The shaft (Warrior Dolo) is fine. I just had to heat it up and pull the broken insert out of the shaft.

-L

Ordered a blade yesterday. Anyone put them on any non Harrow shafts?

I have put the harrow blade in a senior & intermediate dolomite shaft, it was really hard to get it in; i tryed to take it back out and I couldn't. I will try again some time later.

I have two shafts it might go in and a senior dolo is one of them. Thanks for the info. Did you heat the shaft really good to get the shaft to expand a bit?

I didn't notice anything with the tapper when putting the blade in but the end of the stick gets really really soft. I didn't apply much heat (using a heat gun) and when I inserted the butt end in I could see the the butt end going in kinda through the shaft. The shaft was so soft that simply moving the butt end in the stick would deform the shaft to an extent. The shaft however would settle back to it's original shape though. I've never seen another shaft being that sensitive to heat and I add a butt end to pretty much all my sticks. heating the butt end as caused some light damage to the finish on my 300GS. At the top where there are like honeycombs (red on mine), it has peeled off a bit. I don't really care as it will be covered with tape but anyway, I thought I'd let you all know about it.

I've skated with 3 different Harrow shafts, most recently a 300GS and all of them have had an Oggie grip in them. Never seen this issue. Just my 2 cents.