Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Flyers 2009-2010

It is all but certain that Gagne's hernias will require surgery, and Randy Jones has been placed on re-entry waivers.

Any ideas on how long Gagne will be out? Id have to imagine he'll miss the Olympics.

6-8 weeks, so I would imagine that hurts his Olympic chances.

I just can't see Gagne getting the call this time around with Canada's depth.I'm not sure how much of it was due to injury, but he looked invisible in the games I've watched this year.

It is all but certain that Gagne's hernias will require surgery, and Randy Jones has been placed on re-entry waivers.

Any ideas on how long Gagne will be out? Id have to imagine he'll miss the Olympics.

6-8 weeks, so I would imagine that hurts his Olympic chances.

I just can't see Gagne getting the call this time around with Canada's depth.I'm not sure how much of it was due to injury, but he looked invisible in the games I've watched this year.

I agree, there is too much competition for Gange to make it and now with his injury he has no chance.

Maybe some of you guys that have followed the Flyers pretty closely can answer this for me...

I always thought of Gagne as a highly skilled, sort of underrated, superstar.

I have to tell you, since spending some time out in this part of the country, I think Gagne might be one of the most OVERRATED players in the entire league. All I ever see him do is float. I get that he had injury problems, etc., but he seems absolutely terrified of any contact, and has marginal hands. He plays a really sound defensive game, but I don't think his offense is anything special. When I look at Gagne, I see an average player.

Am I way off?

Maybe some of you guys that have followed the Flyers pretty closely can answer this for me...

I have to tell you, since spending some time out in this part of the country, I think Gagne might be one of the most OVERRATED players in the entire league. All I ever see him do is float. I get that he had injury problems, etc., but he seems absolutely terrified of any contact, and has marginal hands. He plays a really sound defensive game, but I don't think his offense is anything special. When I look at Gagne, I see an average player.

Am I way off?

Maybe you're not off now. I thought he was a great 2-way player before, though and has socred a lot of goals. I would never have described him as a superstar... not even at his best.

Gagne has always had top end, 40-50 goal talent. However, when Hitchcock was coaching the Flyers he spent quite a bit of time trying to do with Gagne what he did with Modano in Dallas and turn him into a 2-way player who can score. Since Hitchcock was the coach during most of Gagne's truly formative years as a player that is the type of player he has become. I can't speak to this year as I haven't seen the Flyers play, but I've personally always been very high on him, though never really thought of him as a "superstar."

Gagne has always had top end, 40-50 goal talent. However, when Hitchcock was coaching the Flyers he spent quite a bit of time trying to do with Gagne what he did with Modano in Dallas and turn him into a 2-way player who can score. Since Hitchcock was the coach during most of Gagne's truly formative years as a player that is the type of player he has become. I can't speak to this year as I haven't seen the Flyers play, but I've personally always been very high on him, though never really thought of him as a "superstar."

Gagne needs someone to get him the puck in a decent scoring position, but can finish once he has the puck. He isn't an Ovechkin or Lemieux that can seemingly score at will, but he has never really had a great playmaking center in Philly to work with. And please, don't get me started on Hitchcock and his coaching style.

Gagne needs someone to get him the puck in a decent scoring position, but can finish once he has the puck. He isn't an Ovechkin or Lemieux that can seemingly score at will, but he has never really had a great playmaking center in Philly to work with. And please, don't get me started on Hitchcock and his coaching style.

I think Forsberg was obviously one of the best he had. Not hard to question that one, and it's a shame he was hurt so often

I think Forsberg was obviously one of the best he had. Not hard to question that one, and it's a shame he was hurt so often

How many games were both of them in the lineup at the same time?

Am I way off?

What you are describing is the type of play that is typical of Simon after returning from injury/surgery, he seems to take longer than most to re-acclimate himself to the game, and will play a very timid style.

Am I way off?

What you are describing is the type of play that is typical of Simon after returning from injury/surgery, he seems to take longer than most to re-acclimate himself to the game, and will play a very timid style.

He has been pressured by the team to return a couple times in the past.

It's a shame too because he won't deserve it.

He's not a good coach and he's not using his talent to the best of their abilities. Like Andy Murray, he's coaching to avoid losing more then he's trying to win.

I still can't figure out why Stevens insists on putting maybe the most creative offensive player on the team right now (Giroux) on the 3rd line. While guys like Carter, Hartnell, Jones & Lupul (while they were here) get rewarded for their lazy/flat out shitty play with time on the top two lines/pairings & the PP.

Since the beginning of Stevens tenure he has had "his boys". No matter how poorly they play there are no repercussions. Then there are the guys like Giroux, Parent, Downie & Kukkonen that for some reason end up in his dog house until the end of time for making a rookie mistake or two.

I still remember when Stevens called Downie out in the papers for a mistake he made in a game (maybe the playoffs) a couple years ago. Downie got to sit in the press box for his mistake, then a game or two later one of Stevens "boys" made the same mistake, only resulting in a goal, and not a word was said about it.

What the hell goes through a rookies head when he sees a worse mistake than the one that got him scratched result in no penalty for the other player?

Stevens simply can't utilize his roster to it's full potential while he's playing favorites all the time, it's bizarre.

**Just read that Stevens apparently switched up lines for the Caps game & Pyorala is on the 2nd line. WTF?

He's not a good coach and he's not using his talent to the best of their abilities. Like Andy Murray, he's coaching to avoid losing more then he's trying to win.

He's been living off his phantoms legacy for a long time and that will only get you so far. He's at the end of the line. My personal opinion is that someone will get shipped out before he's fired. That is if he really has the vote of confidence Homer said he does.

One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a divide in the dressing room.

He's been living off his phantoms legacy for a long time and that will only get you so far. He's at the end of the line. My personal opinion is that someone will get shipped out before he's fired. That is if he really has the vote of confidence Homer said he does.

One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a divide in the dressing room.

And the Phantom team that won the Calder had a lot of talent. Look at how many of those guys play/played in the NHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...0007932005.html

It's much easier to win when you have more talent than the other team.

Well...I basically called it...Stevens is out.

No word on the replacement yet. Have heard either Laviolette or Berube.

I certainly hope so, they're usually hamstrung by their mid-season coaching changes and promote from within out of necessity as much as by choice. As a hockey fan, I hope this means the team will be playing a more up-tempo style.

This all happened real fast - which would lead me to believe that they had already had someone lined up to success Stevens. TSN is making it seem like Laviolette has already been named head coach. However, CSN Philly isn't reporting anything yet, just that there will be a news conference at 8:00 PM

This all happened real fast - which would lead me to believe that they had already had someone lined up to success Stevens. TSN is making it seem like Laviolette has already been named head coach. However, CSN Philly isn't reporting anything yet, just that there will be a news conference at 8:00 PM

That's an odd time, my guess is Laviolette will be there. Otherwise it makes no sense for an 8PM press conference on a Friday night.

That's the first thing I thought. Of course we had heard the Stevens might be on the hot seat, but I don't think anyone thought it could happen this soon. I'm not too fond on promoting Berube. Laviolette seems like a good fit.