Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Flyers 2009-2010

I gotta say i was never sold on Richards or Carter. I thought of Carter as more of a flash in the pan than a legit 50 goal threat. Richards I had pegged as a 60 to 70 point 2-way centre. Having not watched a lot of flyer games except for the two on Long Island, i cant comment on his defensive game, but offensibly seems right where he should be. A lot of people expected him to progress into a 90 point player this season, but thats just unrealistic. The captain issues are of another matter. Hard to put the finger on the problem with this team, but maybe they will 'reload' like last time and be a force next year.

Great game tonight. Gotta say, I really hope we can keep Leighton for the end of the season. He's really proved his worth so far.

Great game tonight. Gotta say, I really hope we can keep Leighton for the end of the season. He's really proved his worth so far.

Yea just wait a few weeks when he remembers he's Michael Leighton. I'm as big a Flyers fan as any, but tonight was the first time I was actually excited by a win in a long time. Even though the Pens have been awful of late, they are the first true test win for this team. they've been beating bottom feeders so it's about time they get a big win against a rival that they've been struggling with. (and I know they beat the Rangers right before the new year, but the Rangers have been even worse lately than the Pens it seems.) Either way, if we can play a solid game against a contender than I'll get truly excited, but right now it's about getting a lot of points we should be getting and trying to get ourselves back into contention.

I'm anxious to see this "new and improved/quicker and more responsive" Ray Emery that everyone has been talking about, most of all.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I do have other Flyers related stuff so in here it went.

First off, I think this might have been Emery's best outing to date. He's looked pretty sharp since coming back from injury. Seems to everyone that Boucher is going to be the odd man out when it comes down to releasing a goalie.

Now, where does everyone stand on this Carcillo-Gaborik fight?

After watching replay after replay, I believe Carcillo is getting all the blame for this because of his reputation. Little does anyone want to take into consideration that Gabby dropped his gloves first. Had he not have, I would be taking John Tortorella's side all the way. But Gabby dropped em first. Complete opposite side of the spectrum from the Carcillo-Bradley incident earlier this season. I personally think Gabby might have made the dumbest decision dropping the gloves with Carcillo.

I realize during the replay, Carcillo gives Gabby a couple of jabs, but in the end, Gabby dropped the gloves first, and no one outside of Philly seems to want to realize that.

My two cents.

I'm going to qualify this first by saying that I'm a Flyers fan. I'll try to be unbiased.

This was a tough one to call. Gaborik dropped the gloves first. Then again, Carcillo had him around the head/neck and pretty much dragged him around the net this way. You can only take so much before you have to defend yourself or expect the other guy to start hitting you. I think it would have been entirely justified for another Ranger to come in and engage Carcillo at this point.

I can't say for sure if Gaborik and/or Carcillo knew exactly who was on the other end of things, either. Carcillo came in and grabbed Gaborik out of a scrum. I suspect that Carcillo knew and was trying to start with Gaborik or at least rough him up a bit. Gaborik may have been so pissed by then that he didn't know who the hell had been dragging him around (although I'd think that the goofy 'stache would have been a giveaway).

Carcillo getting Gaborik off the ice for a matching major was a good trade for the Flyers, and in a sense a good hockey play. I also don't expect guys to sit there and take it when someone else is punching them, even if it is a guy like Gaborik. He probably felt like he had to drop 'em, or Carcillo would have started on him.

In general, I think that guys like Carcillo should stick to fighting other tougher/dirtier players. If Carcillo had simply started swinging at Gaborik, that would have been completely uncalled for. In that situation, I would have (even as a Flyers fan) understood it another Ranger came in on that fight.

With what went on, I think it was pretty gray - I can see why the Rangers were pissed, but also see why the Flyers could feel that what happened was justified. I think Avery is a total idiot (same with Carcillo), but I think he did the right thing going back after Carcillo later in the game.

Carcillo popped him in the face a couple times with the gloves on.

I see it this way, Carcillo came in and took the second Ranger in the scrum. I don't think the fact it was Gaborik had anything to do with it. Carcillo then roughed him up a little, just like he would in any other scrum. Gaborik made the mistake of dropping his gloves against a guy that does that kind of thing for a living. I give him credit for standing up for himself and not expecting someone else to do it for him, but sometimes you just have to take that stuff when you're in that position.

Bringing this back from the dead to report that Emery is out for the rest of the season. From TSN:

Flyers G Ray Emery will have surgery in the near future to repair his right hip and will be out for the rest of the season

Just heard he has Avascular Necrosis, doesn't sound too good for his career. When he was healthy he was lights out for the Flyers this year. Hope the surgery goes well & he has a speedy recovery.

I can't see the Flyers doing much damage in the playoffs with their cast of characters in net. I was shocked they didn't make a deal for one.

Like I said, I think the world of Leights, but this is an incredible amount of pressure to put on him. Here's hoping he rises to the occasion as well as he has throughout the season.

I think we'll hear that everyone started with Giroux in trade talks and the Flyers didn't want to move him at all. While I think not making a move in net will cost them this year, they obviously decided that the price was too high and didn't want to cost the team over the long run.

I agree. To get a defined number 1 they probably would have had to blow up their roster. I just dont see the year ending on a good note for Philly though.

It was nice to see David Booth fight Richards last night, I think it was his 1st fight ever.

“That was kind of expected. I don’t really know what I’m doing when I fight,” Booth said. “But it was just a lot of…I don’t know what’s built up, but what could have been this year if you were playing, you think about that. But that’s behind me now. I don’t have to worry about that. I can just go out there and play and be free of this. I’m back to 100 percent.”

Booth added: “I just wanted to get it off my chest. It wasn’t cheap or anything. I just asked him if he wanted to and he was good enough to give me my shot.”

It was nice to see David Booth fight Richards last night, I think it was his 1st fight ever.

"That was kind of expected. I don't really know what I'm doing when I fight," Booth said. "But it was just a lot of…I don't know what's built up, but what could have been this year if you were playing, you think about that. But that's behind me now. I don't have to worry about that. I can just go out there and play and be free of this. I'm back to 100 percent."

Booth added: "I just wanted to get it off my chest. It wasn't cheap or anything. I just asked him if he wanted to and he was good enough to give me my shot."

Not a fan of Richards, but he gets a little respect back for that one. This is why fighting needs to stay in the game. Instead of a cheap shot back at Richards, a little tussle and the score is settled.

As for the goalie situation, here are the 2010 UFA via NHLnumbers:

Turco, Marty 35

Nabokov, Evgeni 35

Theodore, Jose 34

Toskala, Vesa 34

Mason, Chris 35

Ellis, Dan 31

Emery, Ray 28

Biron, Martin 33

Budaj, Peter 28

Hedberg, Johan 38

Lalime, Patrick 36

Niittymaki, Antero 31

Johnson, Brent 34

Raycroft, Andrew 31

Leighton, Michael 30

The list is long, but very few are number 1 quality. Nitty, Theodore and Nabakov are the best of the group, and Johnson being an extremely good backup. Their best bet is to go for Theo whose making 4.5 this season. With Rathje coming off the cap hit, they might have enough to sign him for just under what hes making now. Maybe move a little salary around, because he is playing quite well right now in Washington. Or, give Emery one more shot... but that did't work out well this year.

Their best bet is to go for Theo whose making 4.5 this season. With Rathje coming off the cap hit, they might have enough to sign him for just under what hes making now. Maybe move a little salary around, because he is playing quite well right now in Washington.

Rathje is on LTIR, he has no cap hit.

hmm.. Well the only way i see Philly finding a good tender is to really mess with the current roster. Given Pronger's Olympic preformance, that deal looks worse and worse.

hmm.. Well the only way i see Philly finding a good tender is to really mess with the current roster. Given Pronger's Olympic preformance, that deal looks worse and worse.

Ill agree he was terrible in the olympics but i think he is pretty effective in the NHL.

Word is the Panthers were asking for Carter in a trade for Vokoun. I don't know what/who else would of been involved, but those two names don't belong in the same sentence. At least not any time soon.

And all you Richards haters out there need to understand he Is one of, if not THE hardest working two way players out there. The guy does EVERYTHING on the ice.

He is one of the hardest workers, and probably plays tougher then most. Unfortunately a lot of times the fine line between tough and dirty is easily crossed, and Richards isn't afraid to walk that line.

He is one of the hardest workers, and probably plays tougher then most. Unfortunately a lot of times the fine line between tough and dirty is easily crossed, and Richards isn't afraid to walk that line.

This is true.. but richards is the type to finish everything he does and play whistle to whistle.. sometimes the player thats checking cant control if the other player turns their head to admire a pass at the last second, so it appears that they are being hit blindsided, or if the lower their head to reach for a puck and an otherwise shoulder to chest or shoulder to shoulder check tures into a shoulder to head one. Now, im not vouching for everything richie does, but youre right about there being a very very thin line. One thing I love about richie tho, is that if he has a problem or another player has a problem with him, HE WILL HANDLE on his own. Not shy away and let the desiganted "goon" handle it.. plus, the fact he beat cory perry's ass while he was a kitchner. Richie is with out a doubt my favorite player in the league.

Ill agree he was terrible in the olympics but i think he is pretty effective in the NHL.

Effective, but I don't believe he has the impact anymore Philly was hoping for.

This is true.. but richards is the type to finish everything he does and play whistle to whistle.. sometimes the player thats checking cant control if the other player turns their head to admire a pass at the last second, so it appears that they are being hit blindsided, or if the lower their head to reach for a puck and an otherwise shoulder to chest or shoulder to shoulder check tures into a shoulder to head one. Now, im not vouching for everything richie does, but youre right about there being a very very thin line. One thing I love about richie tho, is that if he has a problem or another player has a problem with him, HE WILL HANDLE on his own. Not shy away and let the desiganted "goon" handle it.. plus, the fact he beat cory perry's ass while he was a kitchner. Richie is with out a doubt my favorite player in the league.

His hit on Booth and his attempt to do the same to Ovrchkin a few days later shows that he has no respect for any other player on the ice. Anyone that plays like that is a detriment to the league.

He's more than comfortable on either side of that line.