Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

A couple of months ago my wife started snoring again - it's like a B-52 taking off.  Cant sleep through it and I have to leave the bed most nights.  A month ago I bought her one snoring device.  It didn't work and she wasn't willing to try it a second day.  I ordered a second device and we tried it last night.  It lasted in her mouth all of 3 seconds before she said "I can't sleep with this."  So off to the office futon I went.  I lose hours of sleep every night.  My back is killing me.  Not fun.

3 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

A couple of months ago my wife started snoring again - it's like a B-52 taking off.  Cant sleep through it and I have to leave the bed most nights.  A month ago I bought her one snoring device.  It didn't work and she wasn't willing to try it a second day.  I ordered a second device and we tried it last night.  It lasted in her mouth all of 3 seconds before she said "I can't sleep with this."  So off to the office futon I went.  I lose hours of sleep every night.  My back is killing me.  Not fun.

You ever try getting her a wedge or something to sleep slightly elevated?  Know some people who that has worked for.  Also know a few who used this and worked http://www.sleepright.com/product/nasal-breathe-aid-15-day-supply/

On 6/15/2017 at 0:11 PM, psulion22 said:

I had to say goodbye to my dog last week.  He had cancer in his leg that had spread to his lungs, and other areas.  We've been fighting it for a year and a half now, but it got out of control.  Eventually he stopped eating, and couldn't stand up anymore.  It was time to let him go.  I've now lost just about everything I have loved in my life to cancer - my mom, my grandma, my granddad, 3 dogs.  I'm so tired of cancer taking things from me too soon.

F cancer.

And on top of that, we had to put my dad's dog, who I was very close to, to sleep on Tuesday.  Not from cancer thankfully, though they think she had cancer in her lungs, but from kidney failure (that makes 2 dogs to kidney failure).  2 dogs in 6 days.  And then my fridge stopped working Tuesday also.  Not a good week for me.

man, that's brutal. i'm really sorry for your losses. but i hope you and your dad now have room for 2 other dogs that need homes.

On 1/6/2016 at 4:54 PM, MThockeydad said:

One of the girls on the 14U team I manage and assistant coach is now completely out for the season due to a bad concussion (occurred 2 months ago).

Here's the heartbreaking text I got from her last night:

"I am very sorry but I won't be able to play hockey for the rest of the year. I wish I could it is really fun especially when u have a great coach like u. I went to the neurologist and he said that I have a moderate concussion and that some of my wires to my brain cells broke off when I hit my head and the wires started decomposing and giving off toxins which went into the liquid that my brain is floating in and killed my neurons also when the wires broke off it killed those cells also. I am so sorry we will bring the jersey back soon."

Super sweet kid...she was never really engaged playing mites/squirts, took a year or two off, then really connected with our group of girls this year and started playing solid and loving hockey. Its put a lump in my throat all day, and I can only imagine how she and her parents feel. I hate it when kids hurt.
Please send up a prayer or good vibes on her behalf that she gets well, not for hockey, but for her life and well-being.

Fellow hockey players and parents: life is short and hockey is awesome--broken bones heal and we can live without a tooth or two--but please keep your head off the ice and out of the boards.

Play hard, and respect your opponents' brains, too. We only get one.

Update:

i ran into this player's dad last week.  She's a freshman in high school and made the JV cheer squad.  Dad was a little nervous that she's a smaller kid and they're doing lifts with her, but she's enjoying it and doing well in school.

On 6/3/2017 at 7:54 PM, Monty22 said:

Buying a full set of tires unexpectedly. One of the few times AWD vehicles suck. 

I've been told you can replace the tires in pairs. I wouldn't but I know people who have and haven't had any problems.

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

I've been told you can replace the tires in pairs. I wouldn't but I know people who have and haven't had any problems.

As have I, but then rotation gets tricky. Tbey also didn't have the same brand/ model anymore.

2 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

As have I, but then rotation gets tricky. Tbey also didn't have the same brand/ model anymore.

Is tire rotation still a thing? 

19 hours ago, asgoodasdead said:

man, that's brutal. i'm really sorry for your losses. but i hope you and your dad now have room for 2 other dogs that need homes.

Thanks.  We'll definetly give a good home to a dog that needs it eventually.  This guy was a stray I picked up one day.  I know that one will cross my path at a rescue or on the road sooner than later.  My dad won't get another though.  He still has one and is getting too old to handle 2 dogs.

57 minutes ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

One of the causes of Carrie Fisher's death was sleep apnea.  Make the study happen!  I'm sure you don't want to wake up next to your dead wife one morning.

Wishing you the best! 

At least it'll be quiet and he'll be able to sleep.

• Like 1

Howdy,

6 hours ago, psulion22 said:

At least it'll be quiet and he'll be able to sleep.

Glad I'm not the only one that had that thought.  :-)

Mark

Howdy,

8 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Depends on the vehicle.  The point of replacing more than just the one tire is to keep any differentials from constantly slipping.  The safe thing for most awd vehicles is to replace them all (to keep the center differential happy) and for any 2wd vehicle to replace in front or rear pairs (to keep the front or rear diff happy).

These days there can also be some impacts to the stability control / abs systems, but you have to make a pretty large diameter change to effect that, probably more than just the difference in worn vs. new in the same nominal tire size.

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Depends on the vehicle.  The point of replacing more than just the one tire is to keep any differentials from constantly slipping.  The safe thing for most awd vehicles is to replace them all (to keep the center differential happy) and for any 2wd vehicle to replace in front or rear pairs (to keep the front or rear diff happy).

These days there can also be some impacts to the stability control / abs systems, but you have to make a pretty large diameter change to effect that, probably more than just the difference in worn vs. new in the same nominal tire size.

Mark

Good insight. Thanks.

I hate incompetent rink managers.  Last night was the third time in the last 3 or 4 years that we had games cancelled because the ice was unplayable.  It happens nearly every year at this time because there are camps all day and they run the ice literally down to the floor.  There was sand coming through yesterday.  The coaches don't care, they just want to push through all the sessions as quick as possible, and don't want to slow down for trivial things like, you know, proper ice maintenance.  And the rink managers are so worried about making a couple hundred dollars that they won't cancel non-camp sessions, like private figure skating lessons or classes, to maintain the ice inbetween camp sessions.  So the ice was heavily used all day, with no more than simple cuts every hour.  Then they didn't tell everyone there an ice problem and adult league teams come and sit there while they tried to fix it.  I showed up to my 10:30 game at 10:15 and they were still trying to decide if they were going to cancel the 9 pm game.   

5 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Absolutely. It is wise to rotate your tires periodically.

I'd have to remove mine from the wheels to do it, so that makes it kind of suck. Directional tires plus different sizes front and back make it usually not worth the effort. 

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I hate incompetent rink managers.  Last night was the third time in the last 3 or 4 years that we had games cancelled because the ice was unplayable.  It happens nearly every year at this time because there are camps all day and they run the ice literally down to the floor.  There was sand coming through yesterday.  The coaches don't care, they just want to push through all the sessions as quick as possible, and don't want to slow down for trivial things like, you know, proper ice maintenance.  And the rink managers are so worried about making a couple hundred dollars that they won't cancel non-camp sessions, like private figure skating lessons or classes, to maintain the ice inbetween camp sessions.  So the ice was heavily used all day, with no more than simple cuts every hour.  Then they didn't tell everyone there an ice problem and adult league teams come and sit there while they tried to fix it.  I showed up to my 10:30 game at 10:15 and they were still trying to decide if they were going to cancel the 9 pm game.   

Our local rink has gotten worse and worse. Now at a point where you can see the sand underneath. 

Another local rink a couple years ago was so bad there were chunks of ice coming up and everyones stick tape was purple from the paint from the red and blue lines. I ended up tripping on a rut, and landing in a puddle. Told the refs to stop the game but they refused, so I just got up and left. 

Only played 1 shift tonight.  Developed some ridiculous cartilage swelling/strain a few days ago on my left side and couldn't really skate without ridiculous pain.  It seems I get some stupid injury every summer and I am f-ing sick and tired of it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Only played 1 shift tonight.  Developed some ridiculous cartilage swelling/strain a few days ago on my left side and couldn't really skate without ridiculous pain.  It seems I get some stupid injury every summer and I am f-ing sick and tired of it. 

i feel for you. its been three weeks since I last skated, hoping this injury will go away. Hoping its good by SJ, but either way im not missing it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stewie said:

i feel for you. its been three weeks since I last skated, hoping this injury will go away. Hoping its good by SJ, but either way im not missing it.

Take it easy if you need to, man. Warmups and my first couple shifts at WF were BRUTAL until my ankle loosened up a bit. Had to sit out a couple shifts here and there because of it. Hopefully we get you at 100% you can snipe me top cheese, but if not, don't push it too hard! 

16 hours ago, Stewie said:

Thanks... feel for you too.  After missing almost 6 months last year with groin and hernia and then the eye thing I thought I was in the clear for a while.  This sucks....  hopefully it will only be a week or two.