Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tooomey

? Rubing Stick Tape with Puck ?

Can anyone tell me why some pros rub there stick blade tape with a puck? Also what does wax do for there tape. I was told it helps with snow build up on blade. I feel it helps my tape from ripping. Are these both true?

Can anyone tell me why some pros rub there stick blade tape with a puck? Also what does wax do for there tape. I was told it helps with snow build up on blade. I feel it helps my tape from ripping. Are these both true?

Wax helps seal the tape down so snow can't get in between and make the tape all bunchy. It also helps prevent the snow from sticking. Snow build up from the blade is easier to remove when the tape is waxed otherwise you can get hard snow clumps stick to the blade and you need to chip it off with your fingers. As for the puck marks I've never heard of it actually helping with anything, I think it is just for looks.

Its for the tape to stick better to the blade.

I use my tape roll to rub instead, works good and it gets a sticky surface.

I do it so that it looks like I've touched the puck during the game.

I find that wax is helpful for the reasons you and others have mentioned, the puck - not so much, unless I'm out of wax.

I do it so that it looks like I've touched the puck during the game.

I find that wax is helpful for the reasons you and others have mentioned, the puck - not so much, unless I'm out of wax.

:rolleyes::biggrin: Think it went over thier heads...I had a good laugh though...Thanks for that! :happy:

Lol ^^^ I caught that too. Haha

Recently I've been waxing my tape with surf wax, and I've been stickhandling better than ever, shooting has improved a bit too... Not changing any time soon

Their surf wax, or the hockey stuff?

My aunt lives in Hawaii, and her and her husband surf all the time. She sends me wax (sticky bumps?) every once and a while, like 3 bars at a time, so I have a ton stashed away, lol.

Their surf wax, or the hockey stuff?

My aunt lives in Hawaii, and her and her husband surf all the time. She sends me wax (sticky bumps?) every once and a while, like 3 bars at a time, so I have a ton stashed away, lol.

I buy the hockey formula... I've used the surf stuff, too... some of it seemed a too little soft/gooey, if I remember correctly. Once I noticed there was a cold water formula, I started buying that, then went to the hockey formula. Not sure how much of a difference there is (or isn't) in terms of performance. I've also tried Sticky Bumps and it certainly did the trick.

I use wax or the 3M liquid flex stuff. I've rubbed a puck on the tape before, too.

My opinion?

Wax:

-Helps the tape last longer (but I use a ton, melt it in twice and then put a final coat on and leave it). If I get a good gash I can usually just smooth the cut out and flatten it down with the wax.

-Gives a little tackiness (better for stickhandling).

-Easy to scrape off snow.

-Seem to shoot better.

3M Liquid Flex:

-Deadens the puck so catching passes is easier.

-Very tacky, great for stickhandling.

-Easy enough to scrape off snow.

-Sticks a bit too much and shooting seems to suffer for it.

-Durability isn't great and it's rather pricey.

"Puck Rub":

-Blackens white tape.

If you are using white tape then the marks from rubbing the puck can achieve a similar hiding the puck effect as black tape.

Black tape 'hiding the puck' is a myth. Goal tenders know where the puck is. I mean cmon, blades are what? 7-10 inches long something like that? Not much space to uh..."hide a puck" :blink:

When you don't use a puck or something to press the tape down to the blade, when the tape frays it just peels off with no effort. Before I figured out this method, I used to get so pissed when 1 line of tape came off and I had to retape the entire blade because a patch job looks ugly

I've always been pretty anal about taping my blades. I have a block of metal with rounded edges that I use to get the tape as flat and tight on the stick as possible. When I don't do that the puck just feels dead on the stick and I don't have the feedback that I like. In my opinion with composite sticks to really get the feedback or feel from the blade it needs to be a thin layer of tape with minimal overlap, and a thin layer of evenly applied wax to keep the snow build up down.

I just do it to press the tape against the blade tight.

I do it for the same reason, but it works just as well to use the rest of the tape roll.

I use wax to keep the snow off my blade, and the tape last longer and doesn't start to come off halfway through the game.

If you are using white tape then the marks from rubbing the puck can achieve a similar hiding the puck effect as black tape.

whatever, good goalies dont even look at the puck, just at your eyes.

whatever, good goalies dont even look at the puck, just at your eyes.

SO that's why they hated it when I would fire for the corner over there blocker from the top of the left circle while looking at my winger waiting for a one timer on the right dot?