Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xrickyb86x

Has anyone ever built their own shoulder pads?

Has anyone modified a pair of Mission Sub-Zero shoulder pads? I already removed to large top cap on both shoulders and was looking to make them a little thinner on the chest, they seem to be a little snug and wide.

What shirt and plastic did you use? I have next week off and might make some frankenpads.

I'd like to know too!

I am interested in a reebok 7k shirt and adding the caps.

The shirt looks good, just need to find one. They seem to be out of stock everywhere.

It's a start...

yLZhm.jpg

cuXqt.jpg

Similar placement to the 4k's the caps were already on but with the awesomeness of the sher woods. The caps I believe are sitting a little higher then the original sher woods because I wanted them to cover the soft spot on my shoulder. The only reason I really ditched the sher woods were because of the caps. Since then nothing has been as awesome as them but some have come close.

Thank you to the MSH member who kept posting about the speedy stitcher. It did all the work on this.

i got a buddy i played with in colled this year that has the same exact set up only his caps are from an old set of supreme 8000s i believe

Modified my ST16's today. Took off the original big shoulder caps and sewed on the ones from my Itech SP50's. I'm in love with the end result. Lighter, lower profile, and way more comfortable now.

I took the advice of people on this board and bought a Speedy Stitcher sewing awl. Probably one of the smartest purchases I've ever made. It made this an unbelievably easy process.

shoulders1.jpg

shoulders2.jpg

Had the Easton classics for ages.

Got the caps stitched on when the original ones fell off.

Had the Jofa 8800 arms stitched on to help take hits and cross-checks.

Love them. So comfortable, low profile and no more sore arms.

IMG_00915.jpg

After being "encouraged" by this thread, I finally made my FrankenShoulders (Jofa 7500 chest/back + Sherwood 5030 caps):

img0266m.th.jpg

This == Awesome. I would buy a set of those in a heartbeat, if they were available on the market.

Yeah seriously. It kind of blows my mind to think that shoulder pad customization doesn't exist. I know plenty of guys who wear nothing but would wear shoulders if they could pick and choose pieces they like.

Farrell, Bauer, and Down Low have done customizable shoulders off the top of my head.

Those Easton/Itech hybrids look great. I almost did something similar but the Reebok 4k KFS has been working out just fine for me. Smaller shoulders might be nice but if it's just for looks I don't care.

Haha thanks I'm really happy with them. Maybe some manufacturer will come out with a customizer with interchangeable chest/back/bicep/caps. ...Warrior?

Yeah if anyone would do it, Warrior would.

EDIT: BTW, I'm half tempted to buy a set of jofas and sherwoods and pay you to make me a set.. heh ;)

Yeah if anyone would do it, Warrior would.

EDIT: BTW, I'm half tempted to buy a set of jofas and sherwoods and pay you to make me a set.. heh ;)

I'd prob do it for free :) just as easy to pick up a Speedy Stitcher yourself. Seriously, no sewing experience needed.

I want what HattrickSwayze wants (ST16 + Itech caps)

How do you guys take off the original caps? Just cut them off or what?

I used a seam ripper to seperate the shoulder caps from mine, and just a pair of scissors/razor knife to cut the elastic straps that went to them. Put them on and lined up the Itech caps to figure out where I wanted them, sewed them on with the awl, and trimmed any excess material I had left. There was a flap of material that the original cap was attached to, which is where I sewed the Itech's on at.

Since I put the Itech caps on, I've been using them every time I skate and not only are they holding up just fine, but they're perfect. You get the bulletproof-vest chest protection of the ST16's, but the mobility with the Itech caps is so much better. It seems like a small difference, but they're way more comfortable without the original big caps. They feel a little cooler during play as well. I couldn't be happier with them.

For those of you that changed out shoulder caps, how did you know where yo line them up? I have some ccm caps that are off of a size Large shoulder pad that I want to attach to my Synergy pads which are size Medium. Will this be a problem ?

Put the chest portion on, tighten it up the way you prefer; then take one cap, line it up and mark both the cap and the chest portion. Then do the opposite side. Take off the chest portion, line up the caps, and off to the races with the speedy stitcher.

Put the chest portion on, tighten it up the way you prefer; then take one cap, line it up and mark both the cap and the chest portion. Then do the opposite side. Take off the chest portion, line up the caps, and off to the races with the speedy stitcher.

Thanks. It sounds simple enough but I'm still a little hesitant to hack up my only shoulder pads I'll just have to man up and get to it!

For the non DIY folks: I sent a pair of Bauer 5000 Gel Shoulders (took the chest piece) and Bauer 300 ($20 dollar pads) caps to Fix it by Mail a few years back in order to get the bulletproof chest, low profile cap feel I was looking for. The install cost roughly $20 and they look like something that could sell in a shop.

This week I cut the foam padding out of a couple pairs of Farrell shorts and used some "liquid stitch" fabric glue to stick them to a dry-fit t-shirt.

The result is something like a roller hockey padded shirt, but not so form-hugging and more breathable.

I'm going to try to wear it in a clinic skate tonight. If it holds up well, I'll post a picture. If not, I'll try to stitch them on somehow, I guess.

how'd they hold up mcdugan?

This week I cut the foam padding out of a couple pairs of Farrell shorts and used some "liquid stitch" fabric glue to stick them to a dry-fit t-shirt.

The result is something like a roller hockey padded shirt, but not so form-hugging and more breathable.

I'm going to try to wear it in a clinic skate tonight. If it holds up well, I'll post a picture. If not, I'll try to stitch them on somehow, I guess.

I did Bauer Classic chest and back with Sherwood Classic shoulder pads sewed on. I liked the Bauer better for the chest because it has sternum protection where the Sherwood did not.

Has anybody ever sewed shoulder caps to a light padded shirt? I have a reebok padded roller shirt that I use for ice and I feel that adding shoulder caps to it would really make me feel a bit more secure in it.

how'd they hold up mcdugan?

So far so good, only an hour's use on them, but sweat and movement didn't seem to affect the bond of the adhesive, those were my main concerns. I'll try to remember to take a pic tonight.

Here they are, ugly as anything, but I love the way they feel. They conform very well to the body without overheating me the way most shoulder-pads do.

Obviously there are gaps, but it beats the no shoulder-pads level of protection. I figure maybe putting sherwoods on top would help to provide comprehensive protection, since the farrell cubes would space them away from the body and allow for ventilation.

I think I'm going to add a couple more blocks of padding lower (kidney/abdominal areas) too. right now the back is another big pad like the chest.. coverage is roughly the same as classic-style shoulder pads. For full protection, I'd like to cover the lower thoracic/upper lumbar spine and upper belly too.

I also think I am going to have to find someone to help me put a few stitches in the corner of each pad at least. But for now, they're working.

526605_10101444392642443_1287831630_n.jp