Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AIREAYE

New Bauer products for 2012

it's not a comparable argument.

Very true. Golf equipment vs Hockey equipment is very different.

To my eye I think Reebok has 6 heel curves with a hair more curve as you advance through the patterns and CCM sticks seem to have 6 mid curves going from slight to somewhat deep. They need to add some variation.

I know we can't talk much about the new Bauer line, but that makes three lines that could appeal to three different demographics, three different fits, three different styles.

Warrior has figured it out, offer some great custom products, pro stock curves, flex increments of 5. These two companies seem to be taking things to a new level.

Bauer can have 3 complete equipment lines because their gear is extremely popular/successful, they can sell very large volumes of all 3 lines, and hockey shops will happily stock all 3 lines since they know they'll all sell well. But for a company that isn't even selling 2 lines that well, why up your production costs and introduce a 3rd line when the first 2 aren't even doing that well?

To use an analogy, it makes sense for a super popular restaurant with huge lines to move to a larger building, but it doesn't make much sense for a restaurant that's generally pretty empty regardless to move to a larger building.

Edit: sorry for the poor analogy.

Not a great analogy with restaurants. If you can utilise overcapacity in factories or manufacturing relationships by adding a third line then the benefit needs to be compared to incremental R&D and marketing. The better thought would be if your restaurant is empty would it make sense to convert a part of it to a new format? The answer lies in conversion costs and marketing costs and if people don't like your first product will they like the next one?

Please stop with the terrible analogies, pulling "facts" out of you ass or just plain old making stuff up. It's painful for those of us that have to read it.

i think what hermans is trying to say is bauer is rebranding its 3rd line of lightspeed/flexlite products. bauer has always had a 3rd line it just wasn't a cohesive brand. better use of its production.

i think what hermans is trying to say is bauer is rebranding its 3rd line of lightspeed/flexlite products. bauer has always had a 3rd line it just wasn't a cohesive brand. better use of its production.

Yes. Those lines in question never really gained traction.

To think of Bauer as a restaurant is like calling Bauer retail, when in reality they are a marketing and R&D company with manufacturing commitments. It seems like a clean up of their stray or stranded brands on the bet that increased margin will offset increased (launch) marketing costs. I would wonder if they will get that much larger a slice of the pie or if they will just convert sales from the existing S and V lines.

To think of Bauer as a restaurant is like calling Bauer retail, when in reality they are a marketing and R&D company with manufacturing commitments. It seems like a clean up of their stray or stranded brands on the bet that increased margin will offset increased (launch) marketing costs. I would wonder if they will get that much larger a slice of the pie or if they will just convert sales from the existing S and V lines.

I have no idea what the margins of their Supreme and Vapor lines are, but it would be an absolute failure if they new lines just cannibalize sales of Vapor and Supreme gear (unless margins on the new gear are significantly higher, but thats another story). I am sure there will be sales cannibalization to some extent as some consumers switch between Bauer brands/lines but overall I expect, as does Bauer, to grow their market share and revenues with the new lines as it will draw in new customers and convert customers of other brands who did not like or fit in with the Vapor or Supreme lines.

I have no idea what the margins of their Supreme and Vapor lines are, but it would be an absolute failure if they new lines just cannibalize sales of Vapor and Supreme gear (unless margins on the new gear are significantly higher, but thats another story). I am sure there will be sales cannibalization to some extent as some consumers switch between Bauer brands/lines but overall I expect, as does Bauer, to grow their market share and revenues with the new lines as it will draw in new customers and convert customers of other brands who did not like or fit in with the Vapor or Supreme lines.

From what I have been reading and interperting is that the new line is going to be more of a pro-inspired line. Kind of like a no-thrills, keep it basic and good line... ala Pro Series/Lightspeed/Pro Defender pads, Flexlite skates and 4-Roll gloves. All of those lines were always more of a traditional line without a ton of change and new innovations being added. I am guessing that Bauer will reserve their funky new innovations mainly to the Supreme and Vapor lines. The anatomical fits, the multi-flex point sticks, etc...

Makes me think if the 4-Roll "line" of gloves will be renamed Nexus instead? Makes sense...

Nexus only applies to sticks, skates, protective (elbow, shins, shoulders). The technology used in it is modern and cutting edge, just doesn't have the flashy graphic package (looking more classic). That applies across the line. The stick for instance is more impressive then the APX or TO IMHO.

Agreed. Saw the stick today from my rep and was very impressed. Just sad that I have to wait till mid summer to have it improve my game. :laugh:

Was also quite impressed with the new helmet. It was finally a Bauer that actually fit me comfortably.

I'm kind of suspicious about the "brand new never seen kind of flexibility" that nobody could ever had thought of. I mean with all the manufacturers, I think that the hockey stick has pretty much been analyzed 1000 times square inch by square inch, and that every 2 years...maybe they're right, or maybe it's just marketing

I like the look of the nexus skate line.

Hey romdj if you read any of this thread you would have seen that the Mods on this site do not want to be a part of leaking the pics before the date Bauer declares. Might be a good idea to take down the link. I understand that anyone can google it, but the point is MSH does not want it up here. SO take this advice for what it is worth.

Kind of assumed this suit would go the other way, as Sherwood clearly beat Bauer to go public with the name, but that would be irrelevant in terms of copyright and patent, wouldn't it?

No, Bauer has actually been pretty busy legally with another stick company as well.

From what I can see, the stick labeling has "Sher-Wood" a lot larger and more prominent than "Nexon"; I can't seem to see "Bauer" anywhere on it.

Who trademarked first, and who used their name first?

Doesn't Star-Craft own the rights to nexus? :P

If you go to uspto.gov and search, there are 40 live trademarks using the term "nexus".

this is the Bauer IP in question:

http://tess2.uspto.g...006:58h9gg.2.29

Word Mark NEXUS Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Hockey equipment and accessories. FIRST USE: 20070321. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20070321 Standard Characters Claimed Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK Serial Number 85442066 Filing Date October 7, 2011 Current Filing Basis 1A Original Filing Basis 1A Owner (APPLICANT) Bauer Hockey, Inc. CORPORATION VERMONT 100 Domain Drive Exeter NEW HAMPSHIRE 03833 Attorney of Record Christie Baty Hudgins Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL Live/Dead Indicator LIVE