Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

splitbtw

Best Compliment Ever Received

I am still new to hockey, only really starting skating seriously in Aug of 2011. I go to the skills classes pretty much every other week around here to try and improve the "weak leg" and figure out why I suck at pivot turns and stopping.

During the session about a month ago, the coach paused everyone in the drills and said "he may fall on his butt a ton, but he keeps trying to do everything he is told and puts 100% effort every drill." It felt really good to know that I sucked, but trying was appreciated.

I've always hustled.

We were in the championship game of a tournament last summer and I was chasing down anything that moved. I came back to the bench and one of the guys who's a better scorer than me got into my face and screamed, "You keep this up! You are winning this game for us!"

When you're 48-years-old, it's nice to be acknowledged for hard work, even if it's not necessarily productive work.

x2, just change "48" to "52" lol. You learn to use your head to try and be where you want to be without any wasted motion at our age. It's good exercise for me and we always have fun win or lose. The only thing that still irks me is the setback after the broken left fibula 2 1/2 years ago. It still gives me fits with range of motion/etc. but there's nothing I can do besides deal with it and continue to have fun.

"Dude, where do you play?"

"Do you play in NHL?" (From younger kids usually that dont realise i wouldnt play pick up if i did)

"Why dont you go play in Europe?"

This happens litterally every pick up i go to and it kinda sucks to tell them i dont play anywhere haha. Also get too many compliments about my shot.

Never have been a very good player I can just hold my own these days and I guess that would be an in an Over 50 league...yikes......So Mine would be sharpening and it has to be (I Know I already posted some pics) is being asked to work the room for the 2012 Hockey Hall Of Fame Legends Game at the ACC. I didn't ask for a single autograph instead I had 2 of the players ask me for my number to work with there kids teams later on for sharpening and 2 of the greatest in the game. That and working the Hollywood Celebrity Classic games in Toronto Hamilton Vancouver and Calgary and getting to fly around with Legends in the game and hang out and eat drink and just shoot the shit.

I ran into the head ref for my local area in a bar and he introduced me by name to his party of people and said that I had an NHL caliber shot in high school and that he followed my career through Junior A until I broke my shoulder. Before that, I never realized I was that good a shooter.. I just tried to shoot to score every time.

When a coach always gave me a hard time in practices..

And when I was saying adios to him for a little while, he pulled me aside and told me "You know why I'm hard on you right?" Its because you have potential,kid."

Im 21 btw. :laugh:

"I fucking hate playing against you."

Fixed haha

That's all I ever get, nobody ever says why it's always i hate playing against you, i'm not dirty or big or anything so im only going to take it as a compliment

There was a few players who said they where looking forward to playing against our team after the break, then said to me, "not you though, hopefully we don't see you", dont no how to take it but im taking it as a compliment anyway haha

Got one the other day. Have been attending a C level or beginners level ice clinic held on weekends for a couple months. Most of the guys cant skate/pass/shoot, and I myself feel more comfortable on inline skates. The goalies were however, either B or A level.

Recieved the puck and deked around a guy and got a breakaway, pulled my usual pull-to-backhard and managed to roof the puck. Cheers around the rink, including the 4 spectators that came to see one of their buddies play. After the session when we were all packing our shit away, the 4 spectators came around and said to my team mate 'man that was a sick backhand goal, who scored it?' and everyone just pointed to me... got a couple thumbs up, while i was trying to play it cool.

Need to get back on the ice... been away for the past 8 weeks for work and family.

Was at a morning stick and puck and a guy who is there from time to time and is a pretty damn good player asked me to help him with a drill. Well I ask him to explain it to me as I have never played before and I would be glad to help him out. He looked at me surprised and said something to the effect of really? You skate really well and I figured you had played before. At this point I explained that other than skating a few times as a kid and playing for the past 2 years now, I had no hockey experience.

A top local/national player asked me if I would play for the country's national team, if the group of hockey players/enthusiasts lobbying for it, is able to secure official endorsement/ approval/ permission.

Best for me: "You remind me of her, the way you play"...."Her" being one a player notorious for being amazing, who has played since she was young. I've only been playing 2 years.

"You have an awesome shot" Heard this numerous times.

Young girl that has played pro overseas was amazed to find out I'd only been playing 2 years. That was cool too.

I played with a guy for a few years who was drafted by the Kings in the last 80's early 90's. Not sure if he ever played in the NHL...I know he played Pro in Europe. And one time after a shift with him....he said "that (whatever it was) was a smart play" Not "good" play...smart play.

I often find my hands move faster than my mind and I rush into a bad play..or the opposite...I know what I want to do, but can't get my body to do the right thing...so from a player who we all acknowledge as being smart, and skilled and great...to call a play I made smart was a nice feeling.

Got, "Wanna play on my men's team?" on 3 separate occasions, and, "You've got the softest hands I've ever seen."

Unfortunately both compliments came after warm-ups at drop in. From the looks on their faces after the game, I could tell these compliments would've been retracted if doing so were socially acceptable.

So I guess my best compliment was probably, "Nice skates."

Oh, one more. I was doing power skating drills and some old guy said, "If God made you six feet, two hundred pounds you'd be in the AHL at least." Later found out he forgot to put his contacts in.

I'll be here all week folks. *sobs*

My brother works for a Div 1 college team, so I had the privilege of skating with a bunch of them over the summer. A couple of them asked where I was from and if I was a recruit committed to the school.

Hopefully some day....

my two favorite have to be "you've got some nice wheels" and "you're a hell of a hockey player"

being that i've only played about a half a year on ice, those we're pretty nice to hear, even if it is beer league :facepalm:

Having just delivered a fairly crunching hit against the boards the guy I'd just zapped picks himself up and as he skates past me to rejoin the play looks at me and half smiles half grimaces "bloody hell mate , you don't mess about" .