Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Tongues in?!?

Tendon guards in as well, laces wrapped around the ankle- not feeling this look at all for the Great One.

I saw a couple people mention sizing, but can anyone else comment on the Mako sizing versus the S17s? I have a size 10 S17 and they fit perfectly length-wise, wondering if I should get the same size Mako. Not paying retail so I don't feel comfortable trying them on at my LHS.

Edit: I'll probably just order a 10 again, that's a half size down from my shoe size and same as the S17s...

Edited by DolomaticDangles

I have a 9W in the S17's and will order a pair of 8,5EE makos today ...as the 9EE makos I tried felt like an 9,5 S17 unbaked so if they stretch like the S17 after baking i would need 8,5

anyone with a C width, high instep skatin in Makos ???

comments appreciated...

The Great one can do no wrong ... either him or the other old dude with the crewcut... which eventually became a Mullet... :ohmy:

Edited by moreoutdoor

comments appreciated...

The Great one can do no wrong ... either him or the other old dude with the crewcut... which eventually became a Mullet... :ohmy:

I am a D width, but my instep is pretty high. Ive never had a problem with lacebite or anything as long as the tongue was good quality. Compared to Vapors, I think they are a tiny bit deeper, but the sides are molded better to your feet, so your supported better.

I can take pictures if you'd like.

comments appreciated...

But, Gretzky...

normal.jpeg?1353526814

I saw a couple people mention sizing, but can anyone else comment on the Mako sizing versus the S17s? I have a size 10 S17 and they fit perfectly length-wise, wondering if I should get the same size Mako. Not paying retail so I don't feel comfortable trying them on at my LHS.

Edit: I'll probably just order a 10 again, that's a half size down from my shoe size and same as the S17s...

Half size down from your shoe size does not sound right at all

Hi guys!

I have a question regarding fit on Makos. I'm currently on RBK 5K pump ('10) skates, size 6D. I still have a little wiggle room, so I think I could get into the same skates 1/2 size smaller with little to no problem. Do you think I should go 5.5 in Makos? I know the wisest thing would be to try them on before buying, but I don't think I'm gonna have that luxury. Any input is highly appreciated!

Cheers!

Well, quite a few posts lost. Figure I'd start this back up with the Mako 2 skate. Picked them up this past Sunday. I have skated on them four times, twice on that same Sunday. I could have been wearing a Mako 1 on one foot and a Mako 2 on the other foot and not have had a single problem. The Mako 2 is a bit more comfy and the extra padding on the ankles is noticeable and very appreciated. The felt tongue with lace bite protection is awesome, too.

Plus they look badass, in my opinion.

10299082_10152142476918527_1137755073169

• Like 3

I'm so used to the first generation Mako that those almost look bland to me. Either way, they are great skates.

• Like 2

So I spoke too soon about not getting the mako bump. My first 5-7 sessions I had absolutely nothing. I even wear ankle socks that fully expose the part that rubs and got to bump. Two weeks ago in the final game of our tournament I got some skin ripped off. Took about two weeks to heal. I was hoping it was a one time thing. Had my first game since then on Sunday and in just one period I got the worst bump Ive experienced yet. I had to go in the locker room and wrap tape around it so it wouldnt get any worse.

Heres what it looked like yesterday:

hMFlyfu.jpg

How do I try to fix the boot so it doesnt do this? I was thinking of heat gunning that part, and then trying to flatten and bend back so its not rubbing.

And as an alternative, where can i find a neoprene sleeve that is thin, but thick enough to save my ankle in the mean time.

Im really hoping this is a problem I can work out without having to wear the sleeve all the time. If its just a break in thing, I can deal with that.

Edited by louierev07

Supposedly some have had luck using a heat gun and rolling the top edge of the padding outward, but I haven't had any luck there.

I actually just cut the bottom out of one of these, basically straight across about 2 inches down from the top:

41k4MaHhbcL.jpg

Edited by OptimusReim

@optimusreim - thanks for the pic. Im gonna go pick a pair up today.

Duct tape; best for blisters.

Its more than a blister. Quite a few layers of skin got rubbed off.

@optimusreim - thanks for the pic. Im gonna go pick a pair up today.

Its more than a blister. Quite a few layers of skin got rubbed off.

I did essentially the same thing, but since I was in a hurry and wanted it pronto (needed to play and didnt' want it to get worse), I picked up these at my local Dick's

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=32590566

Krev, I assume the pitch on the steel is still the same on the Mako 2 ?

Yup, exact same assuming you don't profile them when you get them. Which I don't, I skated on both Makos as is straight out of the box. Checked them both first to make sure they weren't at a weird radius or anything.

So I spoke too soon about not getting the mako bump. My first 5-7 sessions I had absolutely nothing. I even wear ankle socks that fully expose the part that rubs and got to bump. Two weeks ago in the final game of our tournament I got some skin ripped off. Took about two weeks to heal. I was hoping it was a one time thing. Had my first game since then on Sunday and in just one period I got the worst bump Ive experienced yet. I had to go in the locker room and wrap tape around it so it wouldnt get any worse.

How do I try to fix the boot so it doesnt do this? I was thinking of heat gunning that part, and then trying to flatten and bend back so its not rubbing.

Heat gun the top of the skate and roll those edges out. Additionally, don't crank down as tight up at the top of the boot. Because of how these skates fit, you don't need to.

Instead of rolling out, just make sure when molding that the upright lacing is consistent tightness. That will prevent the top of the boot from folding in on your ankle when used on ice.

Yup, exact same assuming you don't profile them when you get them. Which I don't, I skated on both Makos as is straight out of the box. Checked them both first to make sure they weren't at a weird radius or anything.

Any idea how I should get apx2s profiled to match the mako's exactly? If I add a shim, would that be the same thing, or is the shape if the blade different on vapors vs makos?

Adding a shim is easy and I can do it myself. Profiling I have to have someone else do, and afterwards every runner will have to be done as well, so a shim would be better I think.

Anybody have any advice on this?

Am hoping the Mako 2's will be released early June '14 in the UK.

Itching to get my hands on a pair. Upgrading from Supreme one.6's...

Any idea how I should get apx2s profiled to match the mako's exactly? If I add a shim, would that be the same thing, or is the shape if the blade different on vapors vs makos?

Adding a shim is easy and I can do it myself. Profiling I have to have someone else do, and afterwards every runner will have to be done as well, so a shim would be better I think.

Anybody have any advice on this?

I would imagine adding a shim would be the easiest way to get that done.

I would imagine adding a shim would be the easiest way to get that done.

any idea how big of a shim I would need? Its hard to judge just going by feel. I have a way of measuring, but there's a chance it might not be right.

And after adding a shim, would the blade profile be the same, or would additional profiling be needed to get them so they are as close to each other as possible.

Edited by louierev07