Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I saw the skate this week. If you are an MLX guy, you will not be disappointed, The skate is taken to the next level in every aspect. Baking a skate for 16 minutes is only the beginning of what speed skates are baked for. Therefore, the technology crossover is obvious regarding bake time. After a boot was heated for the presentation, it was as soft and pliable as a sneaker. The ability to shape the boot then is what makes the fit so customized like nothing else.

I assume standard skate convectional oven, correct? I'm reading about people baking them at home as well and am kind of confused.

I assume standard skate convectional oven, correct? I'm reading about people baking them at home as well and am kind of confused.

You baked MLX skates in your home oven. They were designed that way. I can't imagine the Mako would be any different. 16 total minutes, 8 minutes per side.. Flip them over half way.

You baked MLX skates in your home oven. They were designed that way. I can't imagine the Mako would be any different. 16 total minutes, 8 minutes per side.. Flip them over half way.

"Designed that way" is a strong phrase to use. Nothing to do with the materials in the boot and everything to do with the fact that MLX sold direct-to-consumer. With dealers involved this time around and a larger audience, it would behoove them to not recommend anything but a skate oven at a LHS.

FIT Machine actually came out 10 years ago with the 1152 Tack; while they recommended it with the U+, it's not like they were still selling them by then. You certainly can't get one now.

Hopefully they'll offer a machine similar to CCM's for their U+ a couple years ago.

"Designed that way" is a strong phrase to use. Nothing to do with the materials in the boot and everything to do with the fact that MLX sold direct-to-consumer. With dealers involved this time around and a larger audience, it would behoove them to not recommend anything but a skate oven at a LHS.

I don't disagree, I'm just also considering that since the skate is basically an upgraded MLX that the same way people heated up that boot would also translate over to the Mako in that they would be able to use their own oven. Though I imagine there is probably a warranty thing about that now since it's Easton selling the skate.

Personally, I'll use my own oven since I'm more comfortable with that method anyway.

It's also a matter of trust - out here in the PNW I don't trust anyone other than myself and my old manager (not owner) to touch/work on my skates. But that's besides the point.

I wonder how much longer Easton will wait till some actual solid information comes out.

I saw the skate this week. If you are an MLX guy, you will not be disappointed, The skate is taken to the next level in every aspect. Baking a skate for 16 minutes is only the beginning of what speed skates are baked for. Therefore, the technology crossover is obvious regarding bake time. After a boot was heated for the presentation, it was as soft and pliable as a sneaker. The ability to shape the boot then is what makes the fit so customized like nothing else.

can you comment on how deep the boot is? it looks pretty shallow in the fore-mid foot area but that could be a pair already molded so it could already be folded in.

FIT Machine actually came out 10 years ago with the 1152 Tack; while they recommended it with the U+, it's not like they were still selling them by then. You certainly can't get one now.

Exactly what I was talking about. Didn't know how old the technology was, but a similar machine wouldn't be impossible to recreate. Wishful thinking. Excited to hear more.

When I was in MI, a woman walked into the shop; she was from another rink. She had a shop in there and they lost out on their lease. She pointed to ours and she was like "we have one of those, want it?" All we had to do was take a truck down there to pick it up, no charge.

They were expensive when they came out, and had to be bought outright (at least that's what they told my shop at the time.) Needless to say, it wasn't necessarily a success.

can you comment on how deep the boot is? it looks pretty shallow in the fore-mid foot area but that could be a pair already molded so it could already be folded in.

check the iw blog, they wrote a few lines about them. however I don't believe anybody can be too precise as nobody that I know of tried these...

The original MLX skate wasn't terrible deep if I remember. A lot of people had volume issues. However that was because they only had one boot mold and couldn't mass produce. With Easton running the show I imagine they'll have more widths available and they are offering half sizes. The Mako boot also appears to be slightly taller and deeper than its predecessor.

Guess we'll find out more after the trade show!

The original MLX skate wasn't terrible deep if I remember. A lot of people had volume issues. However that was because they only had one boot mold and couldn't mass produce. With Easton running the show I imagine they'll have more widths available and they are offering half sizes. The Mako boot also appears to be slightly taller and deeper than its predecessor.

Guess we'll find out more after the trade show!

In your case, as one of the 3 or 4 people on this board that the original skate managed to fit, if it's too much deeper it may not fit you.

It's great that a company with more resources is taking the technology to a higher level. I'm looking forward to seeing it in Vegas.

In your case, as one of the 3 or 4 people on this board that the original skate managed to fit, if it's too much deeper it may not fit you.

Actually I got really lucky. With their stock insole the skates killed my feet. I was getting too much pressure on my mid-foot. I switched to yellow superfeet and removed the small black heel lift underneath it. Bam, perfect fit.

They did try and accommodation people who asked for a deeper boot. I don't have any insight into that process though. Hopefully Chadd and JR will have more luck with the boot this time around with Easton developing this boot.

A really good look at the tendon guard.

very nice craftsmanship, its starting to grow on me despite the orange. Krev do you know if these fit the same as the s17? or will be narrower in the forefoot like the mlx lets say? I love my s17 but i find them a touch too wide in the forefoot.

The fit isn't comparable. That said, my S15's (which was the skate that fit me the best at the time) fit me better than the S17's did. MLX fit me miles better than the S15.